!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ensbourne  (Read 35491 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: A New Start
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2016, 12:04:24 pm »
Probably not, George. I'm just saying it could be left as it is.
Depends on how tidy Colin's bhajis ( :D) are

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27022
    • Awards
« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2016, 03:27:05 pm »
The detritus is from the adjustments whilst fitting the tunnel mouth, and the fact that both garage doors were open and it is quite breezy down here hence the ripples on the water.

It is quite a good idea to add floating plastic bags and other rubbish, park bench, bicycle, anyone know where I can get 1/148 scale beer cans and bottles?

Another thought is that some modellers add little scenes such as a household fire or a car accident with one or more emergency service vehicles in attendance, so maybe I can have a 'Man or Bargee Overboard' incident with the attendance of the air ambulance and a river police (in a boat of course).

PS I make quite a mean bhajis
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:03:38 pm by colpatben »
We never have problems, only solutions!
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2016, 04:12:00 pm »
Here's my 'prang' as one of the locals had one too many and overdid the bend..........

Sadly the wpc directing oncoming traffic looks like she has hooves rather than feet :goggleeyes:
The ambulance taking the unfortunate drunkard to hospital is out of sight up the road.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2016, 05:19:45 pm »
There's bridge just like that at Bough Beech in Kent, Mick. Scares the pants off you when you meet a HUGE tractor coming t'other way!

Consolation is that it's on the way to a splendid establishment called The Little Brown Jug.  :beers:

Dave G

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: November 07, 2016, 07:26:28 pm »
Lightweight layout update 7th November No.29.

Not been particularly active on the Layout front, and in fact I have now ‘put it away’ for a while, the reason being that I currently need the garage space for other proposes.

However this in fact gives me a chance to do things that have been waiting in the wings.

Firstly I have built and motorised a Peco MB-55 turntable and although most of the bits are covered in other posts ie using coach wheels on stub axles etc I will show my take on the motorising bit

I bought a 3rpm 12v motor and gearbox from China and have mounted it to the turntable well.

Weathering again is my own take from various photos and posts.

I have mounted the whole assembly in a cork tile to test and evaluate, hence in the video there is a slight step to be adjusted from the fixed entry to the deck

The control is by a Digitrax basic loco decoder from the throttle control without any automation or indexing. I have found that if I set the initial speed to 1 and then increase speed in 10 unit steps ie 1, 11, 21, 31, I can reach a smooth rotation then to decelerate from 31 to 21 to 11 as the exit is approached then from 11 to 1 as the rails align then press emergency stop then alignment is pretty good so will probably do for me when finally installed in the layout sometime early next year.

My Layout Link
Colin

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2016, 08:46:44 pm »
Nice work, Colin.
When you put the guardrail on don't forget the driver and fireman straining against it to turn the table ;)

ScottyStitch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #156 on: November 11, 2016, 09:45:39 am »
Or should I have said:

'The decks of the barges are level'
or

'The barge's decks are level'

?????
:hmmm:

The barges' decks are level, I think as there is more than one barge....... (rather than saying barges's.. ;)  )

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2016, 02:05:00 am »
can you tell me what size nuts and bolts/setscrews you used, and how you opened the hole out to accept the drive shaft?

Regards,

Alex

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2016, 11:43:07 am »
can you tell me what size nuts and bolts/setscrews you used, and how you opened the hole out to accept the drive shaft?

Regards,

Alex

The holes in the gearbox are M3, so I used 4 No. M3* 30mm countersunk screws to 'hang’ the motor/gearbox under the turntable Well. Although the actual length is dependent on the bush length (see next paragraph).

Connecting between the motor output shaft is a piece of brass tube from my scrap box with the same ID as the motor shaft OD (I will need to measure this if you can wait) this coincidentally is almost the same as the lip dia. of the Peco shaft.

I soldered an M3 brass nut to the side of the brass tube to give me a place for a grub screw to grip the ‘D’ shaped output shaft from the gearbox before assembly, and then araldite the brass tube to the shaft of the Peco turntable deck after it had been assembled as you will not be able to pass the tube shaft through the Well hole with a nut soldered to it.

Now each screw has two nuts threaded on it, the ones nearest the gear box are used as locknuts to prevent the screws undoing over time but the upper ones are spun up to just below the Well but are NOT tightened because the well is dished and will be distrorted. This also allows the motor/gearbox to ‘Float’ if the alignment is not quite true, these nuts are probably not needed but I always over engineer. Do not tighten the grub screw to the motor shaft untill the 4 No. screws are supporting the weight of the motor as this will strain the araldite joint between the brass tube and the turmtable deck.

Long explanation and I will do a couple of close-up photos and measure the output shaft in the next 48 hours,
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: November 21, 2016, 07:32:32 pm »
Pictures of the connection between motor and turntable as promised:  :wave:

View of the brass bush showing soldered nut and grub screw.

Shaft and final fixing dimensions:

:confused2: Any Queries please ask.

My Layout Link
Colin

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2016, 08:08:44 pm »
Very impressive but far from my capabilities, alas.

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
Ensbourne
« Reply #161 on: January 01, 2017, 07:12:54 am »
A New Start renamed.

The layout name that I have settled on is to be Ensbourne (N is Born) to reflect that this is my first N Gauge layout.

The main terminal is to be Ensbourne Town and the through station at the front of the layout will be Ensbourne Cross.

So that is settled, a New Year and a new name for the layout originally called A New Start.

So following on from this post is it possible that this Topic and be renamed Ensbourne?

Which mod is up and about this morning?

Happy New Year.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:21:18 am by Bealman »
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline Novice41

• Awards
Ensbourne
« Reply #162 on: January 01, 2017, 12:42:44 pm »
Like it Colin.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 08:32:55 pm by Bealman »

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: March 02, 2017, 05:20:29 pm »
I have reached a major milestone in my layout build; yesterday I laid the final pieces of track and completed the wiring. So that is it, away with the leftover lengths of Peco code 55 (2 bits left from a box of 30 pieces), cable, track joiners etc.

The final track in the goods yard has been changed from the original plan with just a single carriage siding on the far side of the wall from the terminus and the goods sidings simplified to be a shunting puzzle for added interest.

Now just the ballasting, buildings and scenic work to complete, sounds simple doesn’t it!

But for now, a couple of weeks of just running trains.
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2017, 05:33:41 pm »
Congrats.  :thumbsup:

Enjoy the watching trains run!

I think taking a break and running a few trains can help form or fine tune the scenic ideas and plans. I've just spent an hour fiddling with two  :-X street lamps!

Look forward to the next update.

Dave G

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything