!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New chip maker - caution suggested  (Read 9278 times)

Offline fatso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Chairperson of the north woolwich M.r.c
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: New chip maker - caution suggested
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2015, 12:16:13 pm »
Strange but true many on here will think of spending 100s on loco but only pittance on dcc chips you pay for what you get 10 years using lenz dcc chips 1 died but my own fault.mike
Always looking on the bright side of life

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2015, 12:18:16 pm »
I thought they would be useful for dummy cars however as you can see Mike they're not much cop for that either.... However as a fire lighter my rating is 10/10 :D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 12:19:17 pm by Only Me »

Offline fatso

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2015, 12:23:42 pm »
I thought they would be useful for dummy cars however as you can see Mike they're not much cop for that either.... However as a fire lighter my rating is 10/10 :D

Your a brave man buying two and they go up in flames  good news at least others will steer well clear  for dummy  cars I use the lenz lower end one price wise have warranty then.mike

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2015, 12:25:33 pm »
I have four! The first two worked fine, so i bought two more (mistake) however i have now removed them as i dont want any burnt out locos...until the guy has had a chance to read and reply to my emails ..
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:10:54 pm by Only Me »

Offline fatso

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2015, 12:30:08 pm »
I have four! The first two worked fine, so i bought two more (mistake) however i have now removed them as i dont want any burnt out locos...

I have been running lenz dcc system lh 100 for years and I buy the chip make my life easier I know there are cheaper dcc chip but I like security  of the warranty from lenz

Offline DELETED

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Expire
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 11:07:48 pm »
Strange but true many on here will think of spending 100s on loco but only pittance on dcc chips you pay for what you get 10 years using lenz dcc chips 1 died but my own fault.mike

...I kind of agree with you but realise it's always good exploring new things.  Not everyone needs the same functionality either so cheaper stuff may work OK.   Bush, Alba, Technica etc and a few others wouldn't sell any products if we all plumped for 500 named radios and TV's!!!!  Nor would anyone buy DCC stations less than 300.

Your comment reminds me of my problems with the Hornby Select though and I personally don't understand why anyone would consider using one as the warnings are well out there for a long time.  I never had any problem DCC unless the Select was brought in.  I've used cheap chips for years without fault unless they touched that system and all the professional advice says -yip no wonder! but I digress, others are happy with it.  Ironically / coincidentally the damaged chips here visibly burned out in the same area as my chips which went on the select.

It doesn't hurt to try new things, I don't agree to any non-return policy though if these are new.  You just have to try things and post up, if nothing else, it shows up on a search engine as "tried it, done that, avoid", then everyone benefits from seeing it written up :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:09:19 pm by RST »

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2015, 11:17:11 pm »
To be fair the guy Tim has seen my photos and agreed the two chips inteceived second must be defective as they should either be readable or not explode on the programming track!!! They are also limited to 500ma load... Which for some locos isnt useable... Fine for lights and dummies if they will programme as expected first

Offline DELETED

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Expire
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2015, 11:29:44 pm »
To be fair the guy Tim has seen my photos and agreed the two chips inteceived second must be defective as they should either be readable or not explode on the programming track!!! They are also limited to 500ma load... Which for some locos isnt useable... Fine for lights and dummies if they will programme as expected first

...wow I didn't realised it had popped on the program track :o

Like you say, for unpowered dummies and the like they were worth a shot if they work. When I started out in r/c (only 20-25 years ago) mini servos were almost 50, heavy, weak and rare, now MICRO servos are a little more than 4, strong and common place so I still say it doesn't hurt to explore.

Was it you programming flashing red lights in end trucks though.  I used to buy cheap flashing LED's from Maplins and put them in series with other things -OK, not strictly the way to do it, but you can make many lights flash if you carefully put a self flashing LED in series.  Maybe not the right flash rate I guess but costs pennies rather than pounds.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2015, 09:04:49 am »
Finally got round to collecting mine from the post office yesterday. Not tried it on the layout as I couldn't be bothered to get it out, so can't confirm the likelihood of combustion, but I tried it in a few things that were to hand and generally found they really are too big to go in anything!

Won't fit in a:

Dapol 86
Dapol 67
Dapol 56 (perhaps, if you remove the cab interior)
Dapol 153

May fit in a Farish 70 if you trim the body shell slightly. We already knew about the 37 - if you remove the cab interior.

Does fit happily in a Dapol Mk3 DVT though! Like those above I'd be happy using these in dummy locos where there is tonnes of space, as long as they're not going to explode!

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here