!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ted TMD - Era 8/9 Diesel Depot - 8ft Wide DCC  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Bill Badger

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Ted TMD - Era 8/9 Diesel Depot - 8ft Wide DCC
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2018, 10:56:52 am »
Blimey - looks like you've been have a bad run with things, but good to hear about the 'engineering solution'. There are so many variables and this small scale even tiny, easily overlooked discrepancies seem to have a massive effect on running.

If you do need reassurance though, browse youtube for films of BR depots and yards in 70s / 80s; some of the bouncing & jerking locos and wonky track to be seen will make you feel much better...

Offline Ted

• Awards
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2018, 11:24:00 am »
Blimey - looks like you've been have a bad run with things, but good to hear about the 'engineering solution'. There are so many variables and this small scale even tiny, easily overlooked discrepancies seem to have a massive effect on running.

If you do need reassurance though, browse youtube for films of BR depots and yards in 70s / 80s; some of the bouncing & jerking locos and wonky track to be seen will make you feel much better...

Yeah, for ultra smooth running tolerances seem to be <0.5mm - which requires planning and precision. I can see why so many people have problems.

I want ultra reliable and smooth slow speed running, which means I've had to be super steady laying and even then managed to :censored: it up! Thankfully, I've rebuilt that section from scratch with even more care and now running is smoother as butter.  :thumbsup:
Ted's Excellent Adventure - lots of imagery of my 'workbench', locos and what I'm modelling.

Ted TMD Layout Progress - Era 8/9 Diesel Depot - 8ft Wide DCC

Offline Philip.

• N Gauge Society Number: 27332
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2018, 11:15:39 am »
How's the build going Ted, seems to have gone quiet on here  :wave:

Offline Ted

• Awards
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2018, 09:02:25 am »
How's the build going Ted, seems to have gone quiet on here  :wave:

Ah yes, all that enthusiasm and progress and the nothing.

I've had a few derailments, firstly we decided to decorate all the spare bedrooms. That meant moving my setup to one side for now.

I had planned for the setup to be relatively portable to move it around, but clearly that isn't the case as it feels rather precarious to move... and that's without scenery! That has made me double think the layout.

I feel like the layout is too compromised; I tried to make it a bit bigger to fit a loop but that meant it's an awkward size and still a bit of a squeeze.

Now I could move it as I've around 750 sqft of usable loft space, which would make for a massive N layout. However, I had planned on moving us within the next 2 years and so making a dedicated loft build out of the question.

That leaves me wondering what to do. I could just carry on, or I could reduce the board by half a do a mini yard scene. Either way it's a compromise and I'm somewhat begrudged to throw hundreds of hours at something that I'll replace? :doh:
Ted's Excellent Adventure - lots of imagery of my 'workbench', locos and what I'm modelling.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2018, 09:39:54 am »
Can you not proceed with what you have with one eye toward reusing bits of it in a new environment in future?

That's what I did. Started a layout with no concessions to portability, and now we're looking to move house. I still do stuff on the layout, but I've stopped short of anything that I couldn't actively re-use, ie I've not done scenery, because that would be effort, materials and money invested that I couldn't re-use. Track could be lifted and relaid in a new situation, and likewise stuff I do with electrics is all useful learning even if I end up stripping some of it out.

I've also learned quite a bit and would make some changes even if I started again with the same space, but obviously would like far more space!

Offline Ted

• Awards
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2018, 10:53:57 am »
Can you not proceed with what you have with one eye toward reusing bits of it in a new environment in future?

That's what I did. Started a layout with no concessions to portability, and now we're looking to move house. I still do stuff on the layout, but I've stopped short of anything that I couldn't actively re-use, ie I've not done scenery, because that would be effort, materials and money invested that I couldn't re-use. Track could be lifted and relaid in a new situation, and likewise stuff I do with electrics is all useful learning even if I end up stripping some of it out.

I've also learned quite a bit and would make some changes even if I started again with the same space, but obviously would like far more space!

Yeah that's a good point and I think that's where my head is, a track and points only layout with a few yard pieces to learn. Might ballast it to learn too.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here