!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish Couplings  (Read 5345 times)

Offline Ex GWRGirl

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Farish Couplings
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 10:31:38 am »
Hi,
No I haven't heard that until you mentioned it, sorry to say I cannot find the auction number for 2ktechnologies. You cant also try BRLINES just type that into your computer.
Regards,
Dizzy GwrGirl

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 01:40:58 pm »
If you can wait these are on their way over and for an extra 7p you get the couplings too............

http://www.ehattons.com/23577/Graham_Farish_379_405_Farish_N_Gauge_couplings_and_springs_Pack_of_10/StockDetail.aspx

Offline MrDobilina

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 01:58:20 pm »
If you can wait these are on their way over and for an extra 7p you get the couplings too............

http://www.ehattons.com/23577/Graham_Farish_379_405_Farish_N_Gauge_couplings_and_springs_Pack_of_10/StockDetail.aspx

Show off always going one better  :P :P :P

Offline dodger

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 02:03:59 pm »
Why not buy 12 for a lot less at BR Lines! Item GF0003-2.

Dodger

Offline class8mikado

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 02:04:33 pm »
Suppose this is as good a place to ask this as any - where can I get Short shank rapidos for non nem ie older farish, dapol  stock... I fear my supplier (DCC) has run out...

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 03:50:36 pm »
Suppose this is as good a place to ask this as any - where can I get Short shank rapidos for non nem ie older farish, dapol  stock... I fear my supplier (DCC) has run out...

It's definitely the right place to ask. I use Rapido couplings by 3DR Designs:
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

@RussellH of this parish is involved, so you know you're getting quality items. The couplers are supplied clear (off white) but are easy to paint black... although I like to leave them as they are:

Offline BobB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27926
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 07:01:13 am »
It's questions like these that make me wish I was in the UK ! I have just got rid of quite a few of these springs after converting to easi-shunts and dumped them because they were overwhelming the spares box. I could have posted them for almost nothing, but from sunny South Africa they probably would not arrive !

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 10:22:54 am »
It's questions like these that make me wish I was in the UK ! I have just got rid of quite a few of these springs after converting to easi-shunts and dumped them because they were overwhelming the spares box. I could have posted them for almost nothing, but from sunny South Africa they probably would not arrive !

That's a shame! The springs are also very useful, and not only to replace springs that 'ping'. I'm using them to provide flexible close-coupling on a race set after having trialled the design on a coupled brake van set.

Offline class8mikado

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 12:35:00 pm »

It's definitely the right place to ask. I use Rapido couplings by 3DR Designs:
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

@RussellH of this parish is involved, so you know you're getting quality items. The couplers are supplied clear (off white) but are easy to paint black... although I like to leave them as they are:

Brilliant.Looking like a way forward. have you used the 'compact head' version with any degree of success or am I best sticking with the regular if im mixing with standard farish ones ?

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 01:11:19 pm »
Brilliant.Looking like a way forward. have you used the 'compact head' version with any degree of success or am I best sticking with the regular if im mixing with standard farish ones ?

I always use the shortest length that will work on my layout, and there are two places where the curves briefly tighten up to radius 1, so if I can get away with it then anyone can. With the carriage conversions I set the brass buffers back a little to allow closer carriage coupling, but even with unaltered rolling stock you might find that there's often room for a slightly shorter-than-standard coupler.

My advice is to get a very short set, a bigger batch of mediums, and a small set of 'standards' for those just-in-case scenarios where you can't use the shorter ones. Perhaps it's best to keep the order to a minimum this time until you've been able to see how you like them and which length(s) work best for you, and then go for a bigger order later on.

Offline class8mikado

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 01:45:51 pm »
 Thanks, its not the shaft bit I have a query about , apparently two different styles of head ( the interlocking bit ) are available  - standard and compact, your picture ( lovely coach by the way) suggests you might have a 'Compact' on
My intuition tells me the compact ones might be harder to couple/ uncouple, but that's not always a bad thing .

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 05:52:11 pm »
Thanks, its not the shaft bit I have a query about , apparently two different styles of head ( the interlocking bit ) are available  - standard and compact, your picture ( lovely coach by the way) suggests you might have a 'Compact' on
My intuition tells me the compact ones might be harder to couple/ uncouple, but that's not always a bad thing .

Hmm.. not sure about the interlocking size. They seem normal to my eye, but @RussellH will know for sure.

(Glad you like the coach. I'm currently working on a couple of ex-SECR 44ft-ers with similar levels of detail!)

Offline CarriageShed

• Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 12:45:03 pm »
Just heard from 3DR. The way to tell the 'tight head' couplers from the normal ones is to look for the flat plate along the rear panel of the coupler head. This has an extra section with a v-shaped notch at its end. No notch = no tighty.

So far these couplers are seen mostly on the freightliner sets. Each coupler type will still connect to the other. The only difference is that the slop (the visible movement between pulling and pushing) is eliminated.

That's the official statement. I hope it helps.

Offline class8mikado

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 02:42:33 pm »
Thanks I understand it now, taking the slop out being really useful to get the close coupling but prevent buffer lock when propelling coaching stock on tight curves... takes some of the realism from a set of loose coupled 4 wheelers tho,

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here