!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish Class 66 Easi Shunt coupling conversion  (Read 875 times)

Online Cooper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
Farish Class 66 Easi Shunt coupling conversion
« on: November 25, 2014, 10:53:38 pm »
I bought a Colas Rail liveried Class 66 for a very decent price off the Farish returns stall at TINGS this year. A bit of an impulse buy but it's a colourful livery.I use Dapol Easi-shunts a lot as shunting is integral to small layout I exhibit.

I took the bogie off by pulling it firmly away from the loco, and then unclipped the frame over a stock box lid to catch the Rapido coupling and spring. This leaves the gear tower/wheels and the bogie frame as two seperate parts. This loco has a Rapido coupling with a box enclosing the spring at the front of the bogie. The picture below shows one bogie converted on the left, the two bits on the right are the two parts described above seperated.

On the frame, there are two lips inside the coupling box that need trimming away, one either side, and a hole drilling in the bottom to take the NEM inner assembly with 'pips' top and bottom. This will take the bottom one. Some trimming at the front will also be needed to allow the coupling to swing. Be careful not to take too much off as it is here that the bogie frame clips onto the inner wheel and gear assembly.
On the bogie/gear assembly, the top plate of the coupling box needs a matching top hole drilling, and the opening out as in the photo above with a sharp knife to replicate the gap on the Dapol 'outer' assembly to allow the inner to be inserted.

You should be able to insert the Dapol inner into the reassembled bogie. The holes drilled earlier should allow some side swing.

The resulting modification allows the loco to couple to Easi-shunt wagons with the same degree of difference in height of the coupling assembly as my Farish Class 37. It couples and uncouples fine under test.

I've previously sold on my Farish Class 66s to get Dapol NEM pocket versions. Wish i'd tried this earlier now!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 12:12:58 am by Cooper »

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything