!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Minitrix Burlington and Northern U30CG  (Read 1601 times)

Offline grahame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • British exPat in Houston, Texas
    • Awards
Minitrix Burlington and Northern U30CG
« on: November 07, 2014, 12:03:10 pm »
For some reason the American Minitrix locomotives sell for next to nothing here in America. I don't know why because I think they are excellent, powerful, well made models. I already have a Minitrix Santa Fe F7 and a Minitrix Santa Fe U28C.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=20457.0

I just bought a GE U30CG (strictly speaking designed for passenger trains to compliment the GE U28C, used for goods trains) for $15 "buy it now" on eBay, about 9 GBP!!! When it came I was very impressed by the condition of it.

A tiny spot of oil on the gears and she was away, running all day like a champ.

http://youtu.be/2QIhvTT-_lE

I realise that an American goods trains running through Tilehurst, just outside Reading, is a bit unusual  :laugh3: Wouldn't that be a day to remember for the train spotters!!

On closer inspection underneath I noticed that one of the bogie (right) contact strips was missing. Although its a very straight break I am pretty sure it should be there. My Santa Fe U28 (same chassis it seems) has two. This means that although both bogies are powered it only picks up on one. Having said that its very smooth, slow and fast, has no trouble on the powered frog points. I think that considering what I paid I cannot grumble too much  :no:

Overall this was a great bargain I think  :D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:16:27 am by grahame »

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Minitrix Burlington and Northern U30CG
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 05:43:25 pm »
I agree 100% with you Grahame, they are good looking locos and with very good pulling power even with one set of bogies out of action as you have shown.  I would look on their unpopularity as your good fortune and an opportunity to stock up with some more locos  :thumbsup:

Thanks for shooting your video and posting it here for us to enjoy.  I do like the long straight you have where you shoot your videos  ;)

:NGaugersRule:

cheers John.

Offline Jon898

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 07:28:56 pm »
Looks like you scored a great buy!

FWIW, here's a review : http://www.spookshow.net/trixu.html

Offline Jon898

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 07:40:28 pm »
I wonder if you're benefiting from the scorn heaped on anything with Rapido couplers?

Knuckle couplers have become so standard this side of the pond, that a lot of good models that happen not to have them are overlooked.  Just speculation on my part :-\. If it is indeed the case, I'm glad I'm staying with Rapido for the moment (all my rolling stock is from the 90's as I had a hiatus in modelling caused by a catastrophic house fire some years ago).

Offline grahame

• British exPat in Houston, Texas
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 12:42:21 am »
... even with one set of bogies out of action as you have shown. 

Cheers..btw the missing contact strip means it is only picking up power on one bogie, but both bogies are driving.

Offline Jfheath

• Maintaining Classic Minitrix
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 11:48:26 pm »
That underneath looks very similar to the minitrix class 47. Link to lots of photos of dismantling and re-assembly.  It might not be identical, but there will be plenty of similarities.

And why cant this loco run through Tilehurst?  If Flying Scotsman can be shipped out to run on US tracks ......

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 03:42:55 am »
Micro-Trains makes kits to convert rapido to knuckle couplers. I had a Minitrix U28 and U30 that I converted in this way. Easy and quick.

Offline Jon898

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 01:50:23 pm »
Micro-Trains makes kits to convert rapido to knuckle couplers. I had a Minitrix U28 and U30 that I converted in this way. Easy and quick.

True, as long as you're OK with the "slinky effect" that MT couplers can introduce.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 09:50:34 am »
Slinky effect is noticeable for the last couple of cars in a train if you're looking for it. Having something heavy on the train end or other types of couplers seems to minimise the occurrence. But, the biggest problem for Rapido nowadays for North American stuff is surely that hardly anyone supplies these couplers on new equipment.

When I started in N scale, ALL locos were fitted with Rapidos as standard. The only people producing knuckles were Kadee (now Micro-Trains) whose freight cars came with either knuckles or Rapidos. However Kadee produced conversion kits for virtually all Atlas, ConCor, Rowa, Arnold Rapido, and minitrix locos. Smart move as it turned out and one that British N scale is just getting round to.

Ian

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything