!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longcroft  (Read 93776 times)

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
Re: Longcroft
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2015, 12:10:12 pm »
I received a phone call from Scograil today

They are my local shop - anything they haven't got in stock they order in for me.
Good service, and good for advice too....

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2015, 11:26:04 pm »
Thanks for the update and good luck to Mrs Trainfish with the grillinginterview :thumbsup:

Mick, I think Trainfish went for the grilling when he got his Sausage McMuffin  ;D

Good to see the progress Trainfish. I'm really enjoying watching the progress on this one!

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2015, 12:18:00 am »
Thanks Dan. Progress is a bit slow but I tend to think (sometimes over think according to the wife) about things for a long time before actioning them on the layout. It's probably due to making many mistakes with my last Orribly Oversized layout. Ideally I'd like to think that once something has been done it's permanent and will never need to be taken up again. Yeah right!

I did cut 2 pieces of polystyrene today (had a hangover most of the day though) and intend to do some more to the station area next.
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2015, 02:04:12 am »
Ok I lied. I have done a little bit more but not in the station area. I had to re-do some of the backscene for the station area so while that was sticking/drying I decided to play with my favourite tool in the corner (ooer missus), my polystyrene cutter. I also sorted out the water tank access before sticking down the polystyrene in the corner directly below the flying museum. Then using the curves I made the other day I have positioned the bridge for the upper level leading into the fiddle yard. This is not to be confused with the bridge over the station, this is directly opposite the station.

Anyway, here are some pictures. It's just a mock up at present but I'm very happy with the set up and think the finished article will probably stay like this.

The upper level fiddle yard is to the right as is the lower level where 2 curves have been placed. The left hand track of the 3 is the DMU shuttle track while the other 2 of the 3 are the main lines which will usually have HSTs or blue (with yellow ends) locos with coaches. The upper level will probably be used for freight if nothing is being run in or tested. The DeWalt has been placed there just to see if Tank is reading this thread.

A view from above. You can see 2 sets of points which will in effect create a passing loop on each upper level track. These (and those at the other end) will be the only points on the upper level. Remember this is basically my running in/testing circuit. It will be laid in code 80 while the lower level will be all code 55 apart from the fiddle yard. The main reason for this is that I have loads of medium radius code 80 points which I will use in the fiddle yard. A lot of the upper level will be hidden and I reckon using code 80 will minimise derailments in awkward spots. The Kato bridges will be painted black and have brick built piers holding it up. I am extremely happy with the way the Kato sections connect to code 80 Peco track with no alterations required at all, it doesn't even need Dremmelling  :thumbsup:

A view from the other side. At present the centre 'arch' of the bridge won't have anything passing through it. I'm unsure what to do there at the moment. I won't be having any more tracks as I don't want it looking overcrowded. I may build it up a bit and make the triple track section into a cutting.

And finally a view along the fiddle yard area with the bridge in the far distance.

And very finally, please accept my apologies for this being page 6 of my thread already and not a single piece of track has been fixed down yet. I reckon it will happen on either page 7 or 8 though  :claphappy:
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2015, 07:45:46 am »
Good progress. This will be a great layout to operate and has plenty of scope for interesting scenery, too.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2015, 12:24:15 pm »
The DeWalt has been placed there just to see if Tank is reading this thread.

:laughabovepost: :smiley-laughing:

Regarding the DMU shuttle track - will you be using an electronic version such as the one sold by Heathcote?

Offline 47033

• N Gauge Society Number: 23722
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2015, 12:36:07 pm »
Wow, this is looking good trainfish. I'm impressed with your progress and will be keen to see how this build comes along. 

Jamie

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2015, 12:54:52 pm »
Yes Mick, I have a Heathcote one somewhere but not sure which one it is. I'll be looking to use one which uses 2 platforms at one end and 1 platform at the other so the DMUs alternate with the point changing automatically. It will run from 1 side of the station to the other and back. Switch to DMU 2 and do the same, and so on. It will be around a 40 foot run for it from 1 end to the other.

Thanks Jamie. I'm not the quickest though as I keep changing my mind about things  :o
John

<*))))><

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2015, 01:02:39 pm »
Yes Mick, I have a Heathcote one somewhere but not sure which one it is. It will be around a 40 foot run for it from 1 end to the other.

Thanks for that. I'll be interested to know which reference it is and how you get on with it when it's fitted :thumbsup:

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2015, 08:09:30 pm »
I have checked and the unit I have is the SA-9S which does exactly what I want it to do. I must have had the same idea when building in Orribly Oversized scale.

On another note, I meant to post this before but does anyone use Paperbrick? I use this for all of my brick printing, it's far cheaper than buying sheets of the stuff. I print it onto A4 self adhesive labels and cut it to suit. I tend to use 1:120 though as I often find that the 1:148 doesn't show up very well as being brickwork. Either that or I need a new printer.
John

<*))))><

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2015, 10:49:11 pm »
Not much to show today I'm afraid as I've mainly been sorting out all the empty boxes from rolling stock and some buildings and storing them away in some of the boxes bought from Wilkinsons yesterday.

However, I have done yet another mock up to see what the general opinion is out there. I am looking at moving my DMU storage/maintenance away from the TMD and into the station area. It seems to fit in well but I'm unsure on the height of it. I want to keep platforms in that area but the question is, do I build the sheds at ground level or platform level. Some pictures below show the difference. I think if the shed goes at ground level then I would have to lose the platforms. Let me know what you think on whether it should be there in the first place and if so what height should the sheds be?

First, at ground level and also full capacity. I've put the HST there to show the end of the other platforms. Behind that are 2x DMUs which would be running on the automatic shuttle. Then the 3 lines lead into the maintenance/storage shed which easily holds a 3-car DMU inside.

A closer view of how the sheds look when mounted at ground level

Sheds at platform height.

Another view which shows the headroom above the DMUs with the sheds at platform height.
John

<*))))><

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2015, 11:33:55 pm »
Coming along nicely Sir, coming along nicely!

Ok, I'm no expert on the real thing, but my thoughts are as follows ...

The sheds seem a bit low if they aren't raised somehow (looking at the clearance above the DMU's). How about increase the height by having a brick layer around the bottom? Perhaps not exactly the same height as the platforms, but something in between.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2015, 06:02:17 am »
Coming along nicely Sir, coming along nicely!

The sheds seem a bit low if they aren't raised somehow (looking at the clearance above the DMU's). How about increase the height by having a brick layer around the bottom? Perhaps not exactly the same height as the platforms, but something in between.

Dan

I agree; the DMU light maintenance shed looks too low down directly sited on the ground but too high sited on the platform. Adding a new base layer to raise the shed to a height about half-way between these two height should look fine. See if you can study some pictures of similar DMU sheds at Tyseley, for example.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2015, 06:19:12 am »
Lookin' good!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2015, 10:35:15 am »
The height above roof level doesn't worry me as, let's face it, the crud from the 'zorsts' has to dissipate somewhere :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything