!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longcroft  (Read 93778 times)

Offline Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
Re: Longcroft
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2014, 09:37:04 pm »
Ooops I almost forgot. I am actually at plan G now as I will probably double the width of platform 2/3 to accommodate more station buildings (if I can get them) and it can also support the upper level tracks as discussed above.

Hi Chris, thanks for all your "Thanks" by the way. I have just measured the gap between the subway and the platform edge which is 7mm minimum so in 'real life' about 3' 4" or just over a metre which isn't ideal but trains won't be travelling through at speed if at all so the waiting passengers shouldn't get sucked off dragged off the platform  :thumbsup:
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2014, 09:46:31 pm »
I think just over a metre equivalent should be OK, Geoff.

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2014, 09:58:41 pm »
Just had a thought. I'm not sure how many platforms will have a subway but if they are double width then I can have an 'up' subway and a 'down' subway but move them together which will give at least 2 metres each side. Does that make sense? It does to me  :goggleeyes:
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2014, 10:01:01 pm »
Makes sense to me.

Offline DesertHound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2014, 11:20:02 pm »
Before my previous post I too was thinking where the supports could go, and thought the middle was best (but there's a middle track there) so then started thinking about the piers on the platform.

Must admit I was thinking if it was prototypical or not, just like Mick says. That said, if it's done right it could look ok and if you're happy with the look, then it doesn't really matter. Only if it bugs you does it matter.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Calnefoxile

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13399
  • 2mm Association Number: 5004
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2014, 07:42:07 am »

The only place I can think of is Tamworth, but after looking at pictures it does have supports inbetween the tracks, as well as the supports on the end of the platforms, which also ontain lifts to the higher level platforms.

Regards

Neal

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2014, 08:46:20 am »
I was thinking of Tamworth as a possible example but it has been MANY years since I was there. I think, where possible, supports through platforms would be preferred to supports inbetween tracks.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2014, 11:59:14 am »
I tend to agree Birmingham New Street is the example that springs to mind, even if the supports are propping up a concrete monstrosity as opposed to a flyover :hmmm:

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2014, 01:34:15 am »
Not much happened which is worth uploading any pictures I'm afraid. Today I've been sorting out the backscenes for the station side. Nothing too scenic, just a cloudy sky with a low wall beneath. Trouble is the sky really is the limit as they say because I've run out of it. Hopefully I can get another in Swindon on Monday. All tracks and platforms have been removed for now as I've changed my mind (no surprise there) about the subway entrances. I was going to put a roof over them and then I saw that Tomytec make subways with the roofs already fitted. I'll need to order those from Japan so it could be some time before you see the platforms re-appear. I'll just have to start on something else for now like the upper level maybe.
John

<*))))><

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2014, 02:03:35 am »
I spent a couple of hours in the loft today so here are some pictures.

First of all, have you ever wondered what to do with those dead unrepairable (or Del Prado) locos? Easy, drill a hole through them (not as easy as you think with DP) and use them on a pullcord  :D

Next, proof again that I can be untidy

More on what you can see against the far wall in a minute

Trying to work out which points I have/need/require/need to sell on.

New, basic backscene in place and trying to work out the Western approach to my station.

Now onto the productive part
Has anyone else got one of these? An absolute must for cutting polystyrene if you ask me. It heats up instantly, cuts perfectly every time, cools instantly, doesn't leave any polystyrene balls everywhere, etc etc. If you want to know more just let me know and I'll dig out the details of where I got it. I'm sure it will have been covered by someone at some point. I've had mine over a year and this is the first time I've used it apart from it's initial test when it was delivered. Anyway, enough of my ramblings, here it is:

I used it to cut these sections of polystyrene. As you can see the 2 tracks will be hidden (actually for about 75% of their existence) behind the backscene. In front of the backscene will be the terraced house rears with a garden and a road. This will be a sizeable terrace as I have 29 of these models. It was all that MRD had at the time but I hope it's enough as that's 58 houses in total. There will then be an overgrown bank running down to the 5 tracks below, you can only see 2 at present.

Another view of the same area

The 2 elevated tracks will then continue from the top left of this picture, across to the right (hidden), loop around (still hidden) and re-appear to cross the bridge shown below and enter the fiddle yard upper level. You can just see 2 sets of points at the end of the fiddle yard on the left of the picture.

Same bridge from the other side, fiddle yard to the right this time.

The next part has caused me some problems. The raised area is to the right and the station are where the platform and paint pots are. This means it's quite a sharp turn into the station at ground level. What I have proposed to the planning department is that I could actually end the station where it meets the polystyrene so all tracks enter a tunnel. They would then turn right and towards the camera where I have placed a curve in the picture. This would then hide the sharpness of the curves as they would be underneath. The curves laid out are 4th radius so it won't be too severe but more than I want to be seen.

Again, from another slightly different angle. The station would again be behind the platform in view and would end at the polystyrene on the right hand side. The piece of wood you can see is my HSTstick. It's like a yardstick but instead of being a yard long it's the length of an HST. This shows that even though the station will end at the tunnel it will still hold a full HST without hiding a power car in the tunnel. This is very important to me.

So there you have it. I think this is now revision H of the station plan. If I do go ahead with this I will see how it looks to put the station buildings against the tunnel as I'm struggling to find 2 more Art Deco end sections. I have everything else for 2 sets of buildings but only 2 end buildings which I could share between the 2 platforms. This would then open up the need for more subways towards the Western end of the station.
There won't be much to report on Monday as I have to go to Swindon to take Mrs TrainFish for a job interview. I may even get a job myself soon otherwise I won't be able to afford this layout (or the house we're living in). It also means I can sneak off for a double sausage McMuffin meal while she's being interrogated/interviewed  :thumbsup:
John

<*))))><

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2014, 03:30:54 pm »
Thanks for the update and good luck to Mrs Trainfish with the grillinginterview :thumbsup:

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2014, 08:26:26 pm »
Mrs Trainfish says thanks. It went well but she's up against 2 other well qualified and able applicants. She'll let you know how she got on within a week or so hopefully.

Good Excellent news on the station though. I received a phone call from Scograil today to tell me they have the 2 art deco end buildings which I require. This now means that I will have 2 full station sets of buildings which I think will look quite impressive on platforms 2/3 and 4/5. 10/10 to Scograil who I had never heard of until someone mentioned them on another forum which I very occasionally look at. I think he said they were 11 or 12 each with 3 postage. In all honesty if he had said 20 each I would have paid it, possibly even 25. For anyone interested the guy I spoke to there said he still has more so if you're looking for the art deco buildings get onto them quick! I couldn't find them on their website so give them a call on 01473 729097. I did of course tell him I would give the shop a plug on here  :thumbsup:.
John

<*))))><

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2014, 01:16:13 am »
Not much to show today. I've stuck down a few pieces of polystyrene and been working out what radius curves I can use below the flying museum. These will hopefully be the first pieces of track to be stuck down over the next couple of days.

John

<*))))><

ScottyStitch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2014, 10:54:04 am »
Ooops I almost forgot. I am actually at plan G now as I will probably double the width of platform 2/3 to accommodate more station buildings (if I can get them) and it can also support the upper level tracks as discussed above.

Hi Chris, thanks for all your "Thanks" by the way. I have just measured the gap between the subway and the platform edge which is 7mm minimum so in 'real life' about 3' 4" or just over a metre which isn't ideal but trains won't be travelling through at speed if at all so the waiting passengers shouldn't get sucked off dragged off the platform  :thumbsup:

Would we be able to see a track plan at all Mr Fish, please and thank you? :)

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2015, 12:07:44 pm »
I've been dreading someone asking me that question. Erm, no you can't see one unless you can see inside my head. It's actually quite a simple plan though.
Lower level:
1x full size circuit twin mainline with each splitting into 3 at the station.
1x half size circuit twin local/DMU lines with passing loop in the fiddle yard.
1x DMU shuttle from one side of the station to the other and back etc.
Central fiddle yard of as many lines as I can get in. Probably 8 - 10
TMD to hold around 50 locos although this may change in size.
Upper level:
1x half size circuit twin lines with passing loop in the fiddle yard. Primarily designed for running in and testing but can also be used for normal day to day running.

I may have a play with a trackplan some time
John

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here