!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longcroft  (Read 93863 times)

Offline chrispearce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Longcroft
« Reply #570 on: November 01, 2018, 01:33:36 am »
 :hmmm: Can't you use one side of that shed for an O gauge station/depot with access to the garden and keep your pressing on the other side? You don't need to do a Norman Eagles and build an entire empire inside. A layout only needs a shelf arrangement anyway. Even if you used 2 sides to make an L shape there would be plenty of room under the layout for storing buckets of fruit etc. THERE HAS TO BE A WAY!!!!!
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
« Reply #571 on: November 05, 2018, 02:31:05 am »
Time for an update I think. No, not on the layout but the cider.

On Sunday I pulped a load more apples with my new chopper tool. I have to say it is excellent! I still had to halve/quarter the apples but then put them in the white bucket shown below, fitted the lid, attached battery drill to shaft of new chopper and chopped for around 3 minutes. This produced the pulp which you can see in both the bucket and the press.

The top of the press was then covered up and blocks of wood added. The juice started flowing immediately and when pressed I managed another 13 litres today. Not bad for an 18 litre press is it? Here it is flowing out the bottom of the press, liquid gold  :D

The pressed juice was then added to the fermenting bucket which is kept indoors. Looks very inviting doesn't it?

So now I have a total of 23 litres fermenting for the next 6 weeks before I siphon it off into smaller containers.

Now I know what you're all thinking, where's the video? Well, I don't like to disappoint so here's a short viseo of the liquid gold pouring from the press into a jug.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:34:18 am by Trainfish »
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #572 on: November 05, 2018, 06:39:27 am »
To be honest, John

None of the products of the various stages you show look very inviting to me. But, I'm sure the end product will be good stuff.

Webbo

Online Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #573 on: November 05, 2018, 03:42:01 pm »
Watch this space Webbo. In 6 weeks or so it will look so much better. Trust me, I've done it before  :thumbsup:
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Online Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #574 on: November 08, 2018, 03:16:16 am »
I've been busy with preparing for job interviews and making cider recently so not too much done on the layout. However, I did start on the station approach last week and have added some pictures. Having to allow for an 08 (of all things) to clear the platform edges I am a little disappointed with how far the rolling stock has to be from the platform edge, as can be seen in at least 1 of the pictures below. I could just ban shunters from the platforms but I don't think that's a great idea. Anyone else have any better ideas?

One job I have managed to complete is a revision of the lighting. When I started working on the station approach I realised that the lighting in that area was awful. So, after 3 trips to B&Q and 2 to Screwfix I now have a total of 23x 5w LED GU10 lamps (the equivalent of 1150w in old halogen money). Each bank of 4 is also switched independently with a master switch at the loft entrance and 2 more within the loft. Being an electrician I have used 2x 2-way switches and an intermediate so all 3 do the same job. There are also 3x LV downlighters which I may change for LEDs at some point as it will keep the heat down up there.
A short video showing Wednesday's deliveries is below and also includes an exciting tour of the lighting. My OOCL rake is almost complete and I now have 7 Kato car transporters with a target of 10. It would be nice to have them all the same colour but they seem pretty scarce as it is. I may also have to pay someone to weather my RTC rake to match the class 24 as it does stand out a little.

My RTC rake as it is
John

<*))))><

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #575 on: November 08, 2018, 09:51:34 am »
 :goggleeyes: Are you trying to rival a Floyd light show, John? 8)

Having to allow for an 08 (of all things) to clear the platform edges I am a little disappointed with how far the rolling stock has to be from the platform edge, as can be seen in at least 1 of the pictures below. I could just ban shunters from the platforms but I don't think that's a great idea. Anyone else have any better ideas?

Blimey. I didn't know the 08 pushed the platforms back that far but then again I look across the platforms on my layout so don't see the gap unless from an overhead view. I think you can only restrict the shunter to outside station limits or get an older version of the 08 :hmmm:

Online Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #576 on: November 08, 2018, 11:46:41 am »
I'm going to see the Aussie Floyd in a couple of weeks so I'll compare their lighting rig with mine. I have to say though Mick, the lighting has made a huge improvement with using cool white rather than the warm white which was there originally. The only disadvantage is that it also shows up any imperfections but at least I can reduce the lighting to hide those if I need to.
I have a mixture of 08 shunters and you are right. The older models need less clearance. My current count is newer versions of 4x 08, 2x 04, 2x 03. I also have 3x older 08's so I neeed to allow for the newer versions. The other option I suppose is to insist that anyone viewing the layout must do so whilst kneeling down only.
John

<*))))><

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #577 on: November 08, 2018, 02:06:46 pm »
The other option I suppose is to insist that anyone viewing the layout must do so whilst kneeling down only.

Which, of course, they should do - in awe of your layout ;)

Online Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #578 on: November 10, 2018, 06:58:27 pm »
Another 24 litres of cider extracted yesterday and that's it for this year. I should be able to make around 40 or 42 litres in total. Here's a picture of the 2 buckets. The one on the left is the first one done the other week and you will see it is clearing in comparison to the other one.

This picture shows the clearing cider even better. Maybe just a little bit more inviting to @Webbo now  :D

The small one in the middle is just a perry made from the 2 pear trees we have. If it's anywhere near successful I'll have another go at this next year too.
John

<*))))><

Online Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #579 on: November 10, 2018, 07:32:10 pm »
I almost forgot to post videos. This first one is pulping the apples. It's far quicker and more productive than bashing them with a piece of 3" x 2" like I have done in previous years.

And then of course the most satisfying part, pressing the apples.

Right, I'm off to the pub(s)
John

<*))))><

Online Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #580 on: November 11, 2018, 05:27:08 pm »
Another 24 litres of cider extracted yesterday and that's it for this year. I should be able to make around 40 or 42 litres in total.

Erm, I lied. Went pruning trees today and collected another 4 buckets of apples with loads more left on the trees. It would be criminal to waste them. I think I'll have to apply for a liquor licence soon!
John

<*))))><

Offline Skyline2uk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #581 on: November 11, 2018, 06:09:06 pm »
Another 24 litres of cider extracted yesterday and that's it for this year. I should be able to make around 40 or 42 litres in total.

Erm, I lied. Went pruning trees today and collected another 4 buckets of apples with loads more left on the trees. It would be criminal to waste them. I think I'll have to apply for a liquor licence soon!

Mate be careful with all that ‘shine, I really don’t want to be seeing a mushroom cloud on the horizon after Hill-billy-fish’s still goes kablooie  :confused1: :worried: ;)

Skyline2uk

Offline 1977joey

• Awards
« Reply #582 on: November 12, 2018, 12:55:56 am »
I've been busy with preparing for job interviews and making cider recently so not too much done on the layout. However, I did start on the station approach last week and have added some pictures. Having to allow for an 08 (of all things) to clear the platform edges I am a little disappointed with how far the rolling stock has to be from the platform edge, as can be seen in at least 1 of the pictures below. I could just ban shunters from the platforms but I don't think that's a great idea. Anyone else have any better ideas?

Hi Trainfish,

really liking the look of the station. I had exactly the same problem when I had a class 08 shunter, the coupling rods just stick out too far, so I traded my 08 in for an 03 Instead as the rods are a lot more tucked in on the 03.
Not sure how else to get round it with an 08 unless as you say to ban it from being used on the Platform roads, but then that limits it's use as a shunter...

Keep up the good work anyhow, looking forward to seeing more

Your cider is also looking very nice  :beers:

All the best,
Mark

Online Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #583 on: November 12, 2018, 01:42:30 am »
The shunters will rarely be in the station especially as it's a through station so I may yet ban them, they can always use the centre track between the platforms. I may set the platforms out so they allow everything else to see how it looks first. I do have 2x 03's and 2x 04's so I may yet do as you suggest  :thumbsup:
John

<*))))><

Online Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #584 on: November 12, 2018, 03:36:02 am »
Slightly off topic, as my thread tends to be, I just read an email from a supplier who are advertising this item in HO. Now I'm really not sure that is a Christmas girl or is it? Maybe I need to make an appointment with Specsavers quickly.
John

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here