!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longcroft  (Read 93774 times)

Offline MinZaPint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
Re: Longcroft
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2014, 05:18:01 pm »

And finally I had to try this which I picked up a few weeks ago in a cheapy shop, Home Bargains or similar

As I say, I'm open to constructive criticism on all of it as none of it will be definite for at least a couple of days or as long as it takes to find my 6' gauges, whichever comes soonest  :confused1:

Open bottle, pour contents into suitably sized glass and   :thumbsup:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Offline Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2014, 06:09:38 pm »
I like the flyover - brings back memories of a similar one at Bletchley :thumbsup:

Me too. I'm not a huge fan of single/ground level layouts so thought I'd add another dimension. This will be my running in/warming up/test roundy roundy with maybe a passing loop in the fiddle yard but nothing else. Unless of course I decide to add an incline......................

I haven't seen plugs like in picture two since the mid nineties....
I like your backscene though :D

Erm, what plugs? Are you sure you're not looking at the emergency stop button?
The backscene is actually left over from my Orribly Oversized layout and is just brickwork in that scale with a cloudy sky above. I'm not sure whether to change it or not as the brickwork IS oversized. Or did you mean the buildings?  :doh:

Open bottle, pour contents into suitably sized glass and   :thumbsup:

I did  :thumbsup:

And finally some good news, I found my track gauges! Won't get much done with them tonight though (going to pub at 7) or tomorrow as I'm off to Swindon finish my Christmas shopping and also to the garden centre. It just so happens that the garden centre has a model shop, Westons. I'm not sure if I'm early or late for the May sale though  :D
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2014, 08:59:12 pm »
Some bad news on the station today. I'm going to have to reduce the number of platforms due to space required. I'm still hoping to have 6 through platforms (8 through lines) and 5 bay platforms though. Plans have been sent to the project department so I'm off to the pub while they look at it again  :beers:

Ps, they're not the quickest so don't hold your breath.
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2014, 10:12:47 am »
Are you sure you haven't convinced the 'authorities' to take their time so you can spend more time whetting your whistle?
Yeah - I have a suspicious mind ;)

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2014, 01:33:55 pm »
You may have a point there sir but I only had:

4 of these

2 of these

And a few of these for the road. The road was rather fuzzy.

Apparently it should have gone to the planning department but they don't work on a Sunday so I'll have to re-submit it tomorrow  :doh:
John

<*))))><

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2014, 02:31:02 pm »
Here's a sneak preview of what has been submitted to the planning department.

I have proposed 2 main lines (1 up and 1 down) which will split into 3 up lines and 3 down lines in the station to enable through trains to pass static trains waiting at the platforms. Platform 4/5 will be wider than the others as it will serve both an up platform and a down platform. The 2 lines on the right are the local DMU roundy roundy lines but will more than likely join the other lines at some point nearer to the camera.

I also sent this view in to hopefully make things clearer although the buildings on platform 4/5 may have to move either East or West. If they move East they will be near the end of the platforms so West may be better.

And finally I have proposed a new surface (inspired by doncarlos) for the platforms which won't get icy in the winter as it is slightly textured. I'm just not sure if it needs to be a little darker.........
John

<*))))><

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2014, 12:23:24 pm »
A nice selection of Ales there sir!  :envy: sounds like a very nice PUB planning department you have there! I get my inspiration from the same source, trouble is I've forgotten it all by the time I get home  :confused1: Layouts coming along very nicely, bit modern for me but I can see some coming up  :beers:    David
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2014, 01:07:07 am »
I've had a response from the planning department. They say it may be better to have the main station entrance on the far side close to the town which I suppose makes sense. This also means that the main buildings on platforms 4/5 will move West as proposed in yesterday's amendment. It also means that all platforms can be linked via a subway although platform 1 may have a bridge installed. Other amendments will be as follows:
Platform 1 may also have a pedestrian only entrance on the side of the road which the council have applied for.
All platforms will start and finish at the same point which will look a bit more uniform. I'm not sure if this is good, bad or doesn't really matter.
Extra parcels platforms could be built at the West end of the station.
Platform 7 would be a short platform long enough for a 3-car DMU.
Platforms 1 and 2 would remain as local DMU platforms.

Let me know what you think, this plan or the one before?

This is what I have submitted.

And a view from the West end of the station showing where the parcels area would be. Main platforms have been shown in a shortened state at present but will still accommodate a 7+2 HST or loco +8x mk3's, 9x mk2's etc
John

<*))))><

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2014, 01:30:05 am »
Do I like that ... YES!

Where are the platform station buildings from Trainfish?

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2014, 02:11:03 am »
So Dan, plan F (most recent) preferred I guess? I wasn't too sure at first but it's growing on me.

The buildings are the Art Deco series made by Bachmann/Farish. I do like them but there will be a bit of work to do to make them all sit side by side and also level. There are 5 individual buildings in that little set up. They seem hard to get hold of now otherwise I would think about also putting them on platforms 2/3.
John

<*))))><

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2014, 07:27:05 am »
That station is going to look awsome, nice work Trainfish.
Geoff

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2014, 07:29:14 am »
Plan F, I like it. What happens when you get to Z, is the next one ZA, ZB etc?  ;D

Yes, I like those stations too. I'll have a think about them for Ledgington too!

Just a note on the Kato track overhead. I'd have thought you'll need some pier support underneath. They make piers to fit underneath. Problem is I can't see anywhere to put it other than where the middle line is between the platforms.

Either that or you can follow my "soon to be" thread on lollipop stick bridge making  :wave:

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2014, 10:19:30 am »
I think the most recently submitted plan is the better one. Like Dan, I wonder where the flyover supports will go as I'm not sure whether 'tis prototypical to have the supports actually on any platforms. Maybe others can confirm/refute this :hmmm:

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2014, 08:35:19 pm »
Ok, one at a time:

Thanks Geoff

Dan, I won't be getting to plan Z (I hope) but you never know, watch this space.
Yes, I'll need some supports for the overhead tracks and originally my plan was to put them on the platform(s). I was just going to make a brick or concrete built pier and leave room for the little people to walk past below. I'll also look out for your lollipop stick thread too. I don't normally eat lollipops but I have loads of McDonalds coffee stirrers, will those do?

Mick, you and Dan have got me worried now about the supports. I've seen all sorts supported from platforms, pedestrian bridges, canopies etc. I'm not sure I've actually seen a railway cross over the top of a platform so can't say I have any idea of how it should be supported. Unfortunately space is at a premium in this area so I don't see any other option. The closest I can find is Birmingham New Street where half of Birmingham seems to be supported via the platforms so maybe I can get away with it. Does this picture or this one allow me to build it this way? I hope so.

Just a couple of pictures today as I had to do the Christmas shopping/market thing with the wife.

First a view of a platform under construction, all 5' 2" of it! The plan is to melt/weld a few more together tomorrow before going to the pub some time in the afternoon/evening.

And now a 4" section which I've cut a subway entrance into it to see what it will look like. A little wide maybe but I think it looks ok.

And finally, thanks for the support guys. Although I previously built a layout in a bigger scale I only ever laid the track and got it running as a layout, I never got around to scenics, not even a station so this is quite a big project for me and I need all your help to make it succeed. Thanks again  :thumbsup:
John

<*))))><

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2014, 09:08:38 pm »
I don't think having bridge supports going through a platform, as long as the support was far enough from the platform edge, would be a problem, Geoff, although I cannot think of an example off the top of my head. Similarly, as long as the side rails / walls of the subway entrance / exit were far enough from the platform edge, that also would not be a problem. I'm sure that there are standards for all these things these days.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here