!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longcroft  (Read 93775 times)

Offline Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
Re: Longcroft
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2014, 08:14:41 pm »
At last, nice freshly painted baseboards. May need a little touching up tomorrow and I need to do some black in the tunnels but that can wait until I know exactly where they will be. Polystyrene next...............

John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2014, 08:26:50 pm »
Very nice work. Getting all that smoothed down then painted must have been quite a difficult task.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2014, 08:56:32 pm »
Everything just looks so neat!!! :-[

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2014, 09:06:02 pm »
And.....so tidy !
Puts me to shame.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2014, 09:12:12 pm »
And.....so tidy !
Puts me to shame.

I know what you mean.. My motto is get it done and tidy up later. (next week, next year, sometime, never)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2014, 09:57:01 pm »
Believe me, it's not always that tidy. I had to tidy it up to stop everything getting covered in paint!
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2014, 12:35:30 am »
Sorry took so long to  reply to your question. I usually lift the track slightly then brush some copydex under it then place the track back and put weights on too hold it in position. Sometimes I use a small wood screw in-bertween the sleepers when the track curves to hold it inn place. I don't put copydex there though, because when you remove the screw it sometimes pulls the glue up. The glue is a laytex based glue, you can just slide a thin knife under it too pull the track up and you can peel the glue off too, no sanding required. Its nice to see your progressing with your loft setup.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2014, 12:52:59 am »
Thanks Chris, I may try the Copydex idea. Not cheap though is it  :(
John

<*))))><

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2014, 01:38:30 am »
I get mine from my local  B&Q store, I don't think it's that dear. I use mine to glue my cork down first then the track after.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2014, 01:52:01 am »
That's where I saw it too. 125ml is 4.48 whereas you get about a litre of PVA for that. The other idea I had was to water down the PVA as I already have loads of that here. I'll think about it and decide soon. In theory the track won't ever be coming back up anyway.
John

<*))))><

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2014, 12:14:06 pm »
In theory the track won't ever be coming back up anyway.

Hahaha I said that too - about four altered layouts ago  :smiley-laughing:

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2014, 01:28:55 pm »
I've also gone down the Copydex route, and use normal drawing pins to hold the track in place while its drying. I've only had to remove one length of track after the glue had dried. It took a while to clear out the old glue but it wasn't massively hard. I can recommend this way of doing it and the glue isn't that expensive.

I got mine from Homecrafts: http://www.homecrafts.co.uk/

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2014, 12:34:48 am »
I've been busy tonight. Mainly trying to find my Peco 6' track gauges. I have 6 somewhere and I can't find a single one!
Anyway, here's some pictures.

First of all just to prove that it's not always tidy in my loft...............

Then I had a play around with what will be my station. I think I've settled on this as a base to start from. I will need to bring the whole station towards the camera a little as I want to fit 2 more through lines in and also a branch line at the back for a DMU shuttle. I'll be interested to hear people's views on this though as the set-up isn't set in stone as it were. I will be using the Minitrix platforms which you see in the picture although they won't look like Minitrix platforms by the time I've finished with them. I may well keep the railings too but they will more than likely change colour or be given a bit of wear on the white paintwork. The main platforms will be long enough to take a 2+7 HST as that's what they were in 1976 on the WR, a blue diesel with 8 mk3s or any other train which is shorter than these. The overhead section will also be supported from the platforms with either brickwork or concrete pillars.
I also was originally going to lift the buildings in the background to the same height as the upper tracks but I think they look better like they are in the picture. I could continue the upper level towards the right and fit some arches underneath which I think will look quite good.
The 2 upper tracks and 2 lower ones on the left are heading towards the fiddle yard as you see them with the 2 lower tracks completing a loop around half of the room, again for DMUs which is why the platforms are shorter.
I suppose one of my biggest questions is whether I need to keep all platforms the same depth (2x Minitrix sections deep) and replicate the station buildings on the other platforms. Let me know what you think.

Another view of the station as it stands at the moment

I may yet move my TMD into this area which will release the area to the left which you can't see so it can be made into either just countryside or maybe with a golf course, I'm thinking golf course at the moment  :D

And finally I had to try this which I picked up a few weeks ago in a cheapy shop, Home Bargains or similar

As I say, I'm open to constructive criticism on all of it as none of it will be definite for at least a couple of days or as long as it takes to find my 6' gauges, whichever comes soonest  :confused1:
John

<*))))><

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2014, 01:10:14 pm »
I like the flyover - brings back memories of a similar one at Bletchley :thumbsup:

Online Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2014, 01:20:13 pm »
I haven't seen plugs like in picture two since the mid nineties....

I like your backscene though :D

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything