!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Longcroft  (Read 93779 times)

Offline Trainfish

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21524
  • IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • My layout, Longcroft under construction
    • Awards
Re: Longcroft
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 12:16:05 am »
Sorry about the lack of updates here. The simple reason is that I've not really done much worth mentioning. I've been having a BIG tidy up with the aim of starting with 100% clear baseboards. While doing this I have photographed every single piece of rolling stock I own, 417 items at the last count, and linking them to my stock spreadsheet. While doing this I also had to have a play test of course. I've uploaded a short video of one of my class 58's hauling a few of my Yeoman wagons. It coped easily with 43 of them and I reckon it would have hauled twice as many if I had that many. Once Photobucket tells me it has been 'processed' I'll put the link on here. For now you'll just have to put up with a picture of some of my blue/grey stock and 1 of the Yeoman wagons. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have a bit more to report.

John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 12:40:22 am »
It seems the video is ready to view now. I don't think I'll ever get a job with the BBC unless I practise a bit more though. Hopefully this will work........................

http://s220.photobucket.com/user/Longcroft_photos/media/MVI_0829.mp4.html

Maybe someone can tell me how to embed a video as I've searched for a solution but can't seem to find one. I'm sure there's one here somewhere though.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:10:19 am by Trainfish, Reason: Trying to sort out this damn video! »
John

To see my layout "Longcroft" which is currently under construction, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it!

<*))))><

See my Youtube video channel          >>>>>>>> here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<          >>>>>>>> or here <<<<<<<<

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 10:45:56 am »
Nice bit of what sounded like Gary Moore blues in the background :thumbsup:

Offline Calnefoxile

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13399
  • 2mm Association Number: 5004
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 10:56:13 am »

John,

Good looking layout and stock collection in your thread, much the same as my collection as well, bet it's nice to be able to let your stock stretch their legs. Unfortunately until the kids bugger off leave home, I'm stuck to a piddling little test track and the 8' I'm building at the moment http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=3947.0

Regards

Neal.

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 12:54:09 pm »
Well spotted Nobby, it is indeed Gary Moore. I recently 'borrowed' the wife's little stereo to listen to the football in the loft and it didn't want to come back down. So, I made a couple of shelves and now as well as the TV up there I also have a DAB radio/CD player. It's like a home from home now. Just the Sky to sort out, and no I'm not kidding, and I'll never need to come back downstairs. Oh, apart from eating, drinking, WC etc.

Neal, the outer circuit of my test track is 12.7m, the inner is 12.5m so you can always bring it over here for a proper test and running in  :thumbsup:
John

<*))))><

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 11:12:38 pm »
Not much of an update but my baseboard is almost clear. I've spent a lot of time scraping and sanding the PVA off which was used to hold the old track down and believe me, it's not an easy or quick task. I'm hoping to have all that completed this weekend when I can start re-painting the boards and maybe even laying some polystyrene for the upper level. I'm sure things will speed up once the boards are finished and painted. I'm not so sure I'll be sticking the track down with PVA this time although it may be worth watering it down. Unless of course there's a better way? I'm off to look around the forum  :wave:
John

<*))))><

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 01:01:16 am »
Looking good there, hope your loft is warmer than my loft. Try sticking your track down with Copydex, it comes up easy if required, you just slide a thin blade under. My track is layed down with cork first glued with copydex, then track on top again with copydex, then the usual ballsting.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 01:16:59 am »
Thanks for that Chris. I've not used it before but it sounds like it's worth a go. Can it be brushed on between the rails when the track is down or do you have to get it underneath?
John

<*))))><

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 08:46:59 am »
When I had to alter some track on Claywell I found that by wetting the PVA a little and leaving t ia while enabled the track to be lifted quite easily.   ;)

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 12:21:25 am »
I initially tried wetting it to remove the track and it did help a bit, the track came up reasonably easily. It's what's left on the painted cork which is a pain. The neat PVA was brushed on between the sleepers and now I have a PVA pattern of 3 tracks going around my boards along with the various sidings etc. I've had a couple of hours sanding it today and although it's a slow process it is coming off with a sander. I've just found some coarse sandpaper so will try that tomorrow to see if it helps things along. It may be taking a while but I'm determined to start with a perfectly flat baseboard before laying any track.
Ultimately I think I made 2 mistakes. One was to use neat PVA and the other was to use far too much of it. We live and learn.
John

<*))))><

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 02:58:48 am »
The sanding is a slow process partly due to it being hard work and partly because I forgot the wife would be working a few nights meaning she's asleep during the day and won't appreciate me sanding effectively right above her head. Still, after Wednesday it should be all systems go. It has got easier since I found some coarse sandpaper but still takes a while to completely remove the PVA. It will also need another go with a finer sandpaper once it is all done. Anyway, here are some pictures of the progress so far:

I'd say around 60% of the surface area is now done. The remaining 40% should be quicker as there wasn't so much track on it. The corner shown below is part of the remaining 40% and I have had a brainwave. As I need to leave the wall accessible due to there being 2 water tanks in there I have decided to have a flat board at a higher level. All the tracks can pass underneath it and the board will be well supported so it can be knelt on if I ever need to access the tanks. I have been thinking about this corner for a long time as just a bare board wouldn't really look good. Then, I had a brainwave! I am now going to turn the board into an outdoor museum of flight and place several scale aircraft on it. This means that when I need access I just move the planes and climb onto the board. Simples!
So, I just had to buy this to try for size. A 1:144 Hercules which is 280mm x 207mm. The size is important as it means I can get a few planes on here. I have a concorde which needs building and at the moment will be looking for a Harrier, Spitfire, some sort of helicopter etc etc. Ideally these will be ready assembled as I'm not really into spending hours building plastic kits. Anyway, here's the Herc and hopefully there will be further updates this week.

John

<*))))><

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 03:15:00 am »
It'll all hold your weight then? Not that I'm implying anything! It's just that the blue overlay looks a bit flimsy in the picture. What will it be made of?

I'm not sure I'd like to kneel on any of my constructions!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 03:21:45 am »
It will probably be a decent bit of blockboard and there will be many more, and bigger, supports than are shown there. Oh and it won't be blue either.

Seems the Hercules flew off in my other post. Let's try again:

John

<*))))><

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2014, 12:45:58 am »
Sanding and cork bed repairs are now complete, phew! The next few days will be spent painting and fitting polystyrene to create the upper level to hold my testing/running in dual oval and the town.
John

<*))))><

Offline Trainfish

• IPAholic
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2014, 04:26:26 pm »
All baseboards now painted which has shown up a few areas which may need further sanding. I'll decide when it's dry.
John

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here