!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Class 142 free rolling body/chassis 3D print now available.  (Read 2148 times)

Offline Anthony Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18392
    • Facebook
    • My website
    • Awards
Class 142 free rolling body/chassis 3D print now available.
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:39:14 pm »
Hello again folks! Not the smoothest product launch announcement thread was it.

I now have available for purchase a Class 142 body and free rolling 3D printed chassis for and modeller who is tired of waiting for the non-existent Dapol offering.

It features...
* Body
* Free rolling chassis
* Wheels
* Scharfenburg couplers on outer ends
* NEM Coupler pockets at inner end.

It does not include...
* Interior
* Glazing
* any method or suggestion (currently) about motorising it - see Motorising thread!
* any ridges on the roof... this means you can create either subclass of pacer with a small amount of basic modelling knowledge prior to painting.

Compromises have been made to get the model into print, but compromise has always been made when modelling. Bees and I spent a long time trying to motorise it before deciding to release it as a dummy. Once out in the wild it is anticipated that the ingenuity of the NGF Members would come up with a solution and then share it with the community.

There was no interior because there are so many variations... 3+2, 2+2, bus seats, chapman seats, all facing one way, bidirectional, larger luggage space... there are loads. These can also be built in printed in card/plasticard to enhance your model for you personally.

The roof ribs were tested on a 142/1 (3 larger rib variant) and it didn't print. It also limited the model to one of the two subclasses. It only takes a modeller a little time to add the ridges using plasticard or fine foamboard strips... improving upon my basic 3D printed model.

What is on the model is accurate though having spent almost the entire life of the pacers riding them in Manchester and I couldn't even escape them when I moved to South Wales for 5 years! I also worked on them out of Cardiff for two years.

I could have printed it in FUD, but at the costs involved it would have been extremely prohibitive. I have uploaded the parts to Shapeways for purchase in FUD if you want it. You'll also get 3 ridges for your money too!

This is now available to purchase from the DJRail website for 60 +P&P with 5 donated to NGF on all orders to the end of the year.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:26:34 am by DATAjammer, Reason: Added additional text to explain compromise. »

Offline Anthony Lloyd

• Facebook
    • My website
    • Awards
Re: Class 142 free rolling body/chassis 3D print now available.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 02:43:56 pm »
Hi , good on you mate ,welcome back, look forward to mine hitting the deck, yes motorising will be fun !
What chance you could upload a body without the NRN plate and pod then I can do a really early one . For roof lines Archers do rivets and lines as transfer ribs should be poosible to load 9? roof lines for early one... well should ...
cheers
Robert
The model has the pod fixed on but as the roof has all been smoothed out it isn't a quick job to modify it and I'd have to redraw the roof I think. The ribs were on the model but they are too small to print so they just don't appear on the print even though I have them in the file.

While the model is 3D printed, I am intending to hold a couple in stock to reduce the cost of postage from the printers to me (currently 7.50 per model), so do not intend to offer multiple variants of the body as this will entail at least four different models (142/0 and 142/1 pre 1990ish and post 1990ish) and I simply can't afford to keep them in stock, or continue to pay as much for the postage on individual kits.

I will keep a couple in stock, and then as they go, replace them a couple at a time. That was I do not have a large outlay and dead stock just sitting here if Dapol do release their version.

The reason I printed it with the pod was because it doesn't cost any more and its easy to file it down, but adding it by scratchbuilding the part is a bit more complicated.

As I have said all of the decisions and compromises that have been made on the model have been seriously considered and the alternatives ruled out. I am honestly not happy with some of the compromises myself, but they have had to be done.

Offline woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 12:04:59 pm »
One method I have used for roof ribbing is easy to do, costs next to nothing, looks good when painted.

I have used a piece of 1mm spacing V groove Evergreen sheet in the past, but a custom tool could be made by scribing the rib pattern into a piece of I mm thick plasticard.

1. Place plastic sheet on the workbench with the grooves uppermost.

2. Cut a piece of aluminium kitchen foil to the size of the ribbed portion of the roof.

3. Place foil on the plastic sheet with the grooves parallel to the sides of the foil.

4. Use a largish modelling paintbrush and move this gently over the foil to seat the foil down into the grooves. This creates a replica of the grooved sheet in the foil.

5. Carefully remove the foil, turn it over and lay it on the roof.

6. If you like the look of it, lift off the foil, brush some PVA on to the roof, and reapply the foil.

7. After the glue has dried, the foil can be primed and then top-coated.

I find the glue and the primer give the grooves a certain amount of stiffness. I've posted below a photo to show a 22 years old roof made like this for my SNCF Z2 emu. If you mess up before painting it will cost next to nothing to repeat the process. Worth a bit of practice to get the technique right.

The technique can also be used to copy brickwork, roof tiling, stonework or even body side grilles from models or masters.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:55:36 pm by woodbury22uk, Reason: Photos added »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Calnefoxile

• N Gauge Society Number: 13399
  • 2mm Association Number: 5004
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 12:29:49 pm »

Tony,

Glad to see you're back on here, and glad to see that you're still pressing ahead with the 142 project.

I'm in 2 minds about one actually, as I model 75-85 and can remember the prototype doing test runs from Derby to Leicester, I suppose I'd have to have one of the really early 142/0's. Unless someone is going to do the really early 140/141's.

Don't look at me as my CAD abilities are near enough useless. So I rely on all the clever people who can use CAD to design something.  ;) :D ;) :D

Regards

Neal.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:26:54 pm »
I have the drawings for the 140/141 and prototypes but no intention of actually doing them right now.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Anthony Lloyd

• Facebook
    • My website
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 12:03:52 am »
Me too ... I have other projects still on the go to finish before I look at the earlier pacers ... My T68 tram MUST be completed before the last one is taken out of service for real!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything