!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Maunsell coaches  (Read 35547 times)

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Maunsell coaches
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2014, 07:25:33 pm »
Alan beat me to it, but I already have a rake of Ironclads on my wishlist for the future. I didn't expect to be able to fit one in between the new Maunsells though.

For Southern Railway usage it seems to be not unreasonable. The dining saloons all got turned into tool and mess vans by nationalisation however.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline talisman56

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2015, 11:25:06 am »
Right, who's got the best prices?

I notice that 4 coach pack has been added, comprising a BTK, TK and 2xFK - the numbering suggests that it is half of set 469, but as I am out at the moment, can't check...
My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2015, 11:59:39 am »
I wonder if there is a typo on the 4-coach set numbers? I thought it was originally supposed to be BTK-CK-CK-BTK which sounds like a viable set. BTK-TK-FK-FK sounds very odd.  :uneasy:
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2015, 12:26:00 pm »
Part of one of the city business 8 coach sets, specifically 470, 6comp brake 3rds 4050, 4051, 3rds 2354, 2355, firsts 7671-4

So you need the rest of the set & get renumbering! But see Talisman's post above, formation changed in 1933, only the 3rd brakes remaining and a compo added!

I think I'll go for a pair of 3rd brakes and a compo, see if I can do anything with the brakes to get somewhere near  4 compartment ones, I have some Worsley sides which I can probably persuade at least the brake ends to fit and the artwork for vinyls or transfers.

Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2015, 01:05:46 pm »
I vaguely remember Dapol mentioning that a 4-comp Brake 3rd and a Brake compo were also in the works. Might be worth hanging on and seeing what appears later on.

Mind you, if it is anything like the Mk3 TGS, you may decide you want the model before the end of the decade.   :dighole:
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline talisman56

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2015, 01:24:48 pm »

So you need the rest of the set & get renumbering! But see Talisman's post above, formation changed in 1933, only the 3rd brakes remaining and a compo added!

I think I'll go for a pair of 3rd brakes and a compo, see if I can do anything with the brakes to get somewhere near  4 compartment ones, I have some Worsley sides which I can probably persuade at least the brake ends to fit and the artwork for vinyls or transfers.

Bear in mind that the compo added in 1933 was a high-window CK...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0

Offline talisman56

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2015, 01:26:14 pm »
I wonder if there is a typo on the 4-coach set numbers? I thought it was originally supposed to be BTK-CK-CK-BTK which sounds like a viable set. BTK-TK-FK-FK sounds very odd.  :uneasy:

The original set that Dapol quoted was a restriction 1 set, so couldn't be made out of the Restriction 4 coaches that were being produced...

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2015, 08:12:19 pm »
Glad I don't model Southern - getting your train formations right seems like a minefield !

I assume the livery of these coaches is wrong for the Bulleid era ?

Best regards,

Joe

Offline talisman56

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2015, 08:19:42 pm »
Yes, Bulleid introduced a lighter green officially called 'Malachite' (some people substitute the middle letter) - this livery was not lined.

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2015, 08:47:43 pm »
I believe Dapol are planning to produce other liveries. BR(S) green has been mentioned but I am not sure about others.

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2015, 09:49:51 pm »
Yes, Bulleid introduced a lighter green officially called 'Malachite' (some people substitute the middle letter) - this livery was not lined.

The lined livery as a whole was phased out from the early 1930s. The earlier Grafar coaches without lined livery are idea for mid- to late 1930s use. It's almost a certainty that Maunsell green coaches were still around in Bulleid days, so you could get away with a rake, but they would probably need to be weathered (wartime restrictions and all that).

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2015, 08:22:51 pm »
Rails have them now in stock but they didn't know of the 4 coach set Dapol list (2P-012-251).

The Liverpool store wasn't able to provide a shipping date for any of the coaches.

Looking forward to mine arriving but not totally sure of what I should haul them behind but I do have a UM T9, so that's what I'll do.  :)

Dave G

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2015, 08:59:51 pm »
Would a Merchant Navy (part of an Atlantic Coast set) have pulled Maunsells and I'd prefer light bar ready coaches behind mine if possible.

Offline Karhedron

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2015, 09:04:40 pm »
Yes, MNs were introduced during WW2 whereas Bulleid coaches were not introduced until just before nationalisation. During most of the 40s, MNs would have hauled maunsell and older stock.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here