!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Christmas animated decorations ?  (Read 3291 times)

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
Christmas animated decorations ?
« on: October 20, 2011, 06:54:50 pm »
Hi All,    

Yes  it's getting nearer to that time of year again   ::)   &   the tree /decorations will  be dusted off or a vsiit  to the pound shop   returning with  bags of trimmings will ensue.

Some  of us  may decide a  circuit of track with a loco   running round over the festive period is an option &  why not as long as it's placed on  a board to  stop   the  axminster   fouling the gears  :smiley-laughing:

In  2008    i  made a different  decoration  which i   still  have & may use again  this year as it stopped in its  box  last year,     nice simple project you can make easily.    

I  started with  a  piece of  6MM  MDF measuring 48'' X 3''   for a base with cork underlay my idea was to have a loco   on a shuttle  run  with  some wagons  behind  on the fireplace .  

Construction  was easy  adding  a   building  at  one end from  a  damaged kit  making it  low  profile,  (bear in mind  any components you use such  as the building  can be removed if you use  copydex to  attach  them to the  MDF & used on your layout   at a later date)
with some scenery  to  add  interest  &   an  old  point which  had seen  better  days  in  the  turned  position  which i   soldered  open to  run  straight things where taking shape.

You willl  need a shuttle unit  .......  i  purchased mine from  ebay  good price  &  very easy to  wire up,  again  if you  wish to  use the shuttle unit  on  your layout  afterwards  leave the  diodes  legs soldered to the rail   long  enough to remove  later.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220876080489?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Some forward planning  will pay dividends .......   glue the cork  layer down  but  only  with  spots of glue where you intend to run the wiriing you need  to be able to have the cork   easy to cut &  remove  parts to  conceal  the wiring it will  make construction  easier   eventually covered  with  PVA  &  scenics, my wiring runs towards the back  where the siding was located.

Decide what you want to  do  on the base  ..........  such   as  lighting  etc,  in the building there are two  lots of LED's  on  seperate wire runs,  also  there are three yard lights  on their  own  switch a run  of wires for the  track  of course is needed.

To keep the wires  neat i   used thin  wire available from the railway shop  along with this a useful   tool  is a pin  vice to trap   both wires &  twist them  into  runs  the wires take a lot less space up  using this method,  i  colour coded the wires &  made a note  of  which  supplied each   area.

The pictures here i  hope show construction  of the base sorry they are out of focus   ......  

Leave the wires plenty  long  enough at the end  of the base & trim  later.

After all the wiring and lights have been squeezed in ....... ballast /scenic materials where  added the layout is nearly complete and ready for display, I chose  an Atlas  SW9/1200  loco  with 3 70 ton hoppers to run  on the  layout.

A little more weatheirng of the building and rails is needed  in the pictures that follow

Being a long stretch its hard to photograph in one go so but the pics are in order along its length.

The wires  where soldered to  a D  connector although  a  chocolate block  of the  right length can be used,  i  used a project box smaller than  the one pictured below although the box contains  one of the shuttle units  i  sorted the  wires  on the  other  end of the connector with  power  feeds added  from  a  DC  gaugemaster  control   it  was ready to be used.  

The project box  for another  unfinished  Xmas  project   :smiley-laughing:

Short video  with the loco  on the move (click  the image)  sure theres  the factory  Disco   towards the end    :beers: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:01:26 pm by upnick »

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
Re: Christmas animated decorations ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:26:15 pm »
Till I saw your shuttle unit link I had no idea that I needed one but now Ive read the blurb etc it will be the easy way out of a long standing N scale problem Ive got.........let alone a Christmas project thats been developing extreeml slowely in my brain cell  :smiley-laughing: :thumbsup:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 08:53:21 pm »
Sweet disco !  :music:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:24:39 pm »
I just went and bought one of these last year:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Christmas-Train-Track-set-/270837543906?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Celebrations_Occasions_ET&hash=item3f0f2cf3e2

. . . was only 8.99 in Home Bargains, and once you desolder the speaker in the loco to stop it constantly churning out jangly tunes is quite good value  ;D

I love christmas animations - I also have Santa's Band of six teddy bears that beat out different christmas carols on brass bells, and a battery operated furry moose in a scarf that sings "We wish you a Merry Christmoose"  :smiley-laughing:

Paul

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 09:48:30 pm »
I used to have a santa that pulled 'mooners' !!! Until one christmas my dog took exception to his mooning antics and promptly riped it to shreds... :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Yes, we laughed too - especially when the dog got bored and wandered off, to leave a shiney plastic butt waving in the wind !!!  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:09:17 pm »
I used to have a santa that pulled 'mooners' !!! Until one christmas my dog took exception to his mooning antics and promptly riped it to shreds... :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Yes, we laughed too - especially when the dog got bored and wandered off, to leave a shiney plastic butt waving in the wind !!!  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:
:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: I think I'd have wet myself - shame there are no pics :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:11:41 pm »
Till I saw your shuttle unit link I had no idea that I needed one but now Ive read the blurb etc it will be the easy way out of a long standing N scale problem Ive got.........let alone a Christmas project thats been developing extreeml slowely in my brain cell  :smiley-laughing: :thumbsup:

Hi Jon,   

Glad the link  was useful   :D   the  guy  who makes them  belongs ot the Jersey  Model railways club  i  believe,   more economical than  the mainstream manufacturers  for the same  item.     

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 11:13:21 pm »
The  locos from  sprintex & 4X2 sound good fun  & value  very funny  4X2    ;D

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:43:47 am »

Hi Jon,   

Glad the link  was useful   :D   the  guy  who makes them  belongs ot the Jersey  Model railways club  i  believe,   more economical than  the mainstream manufacturers  for the same  item.     
I  did do a quick browse just and see that G.masters 'version' s just on 30 and not so versatile in its time settings
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 08:11:40 pm »
Hi  All,   

After seeing  Tank's  wonderful   tree  set up  for his boys  thought you might like to  consider this as an  option  to   the  standard lights if you've time to do it ........   John  reminded me  about it  ....  hope  you  find it fun  if you wish to  get  a  shuttle unit  they  are cheaper from the  person i  bought mine from  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-N-gauge-Z-Gauge-Hornby-Train-Shuttle-Unit-/221335589353?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3388a111e9

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 08:21:11 pm »
Very handy for a future project!  Thank you.

Offline Geoff

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 08:30:35 pm »
Hi  All,   

After seeing  Tank's  wonderful   tree  set up  for his boys  thought you might like to  consider this as an  option  to   the  standard lights if you've time to do it ........   John  reminded me  about it  ....  hope  you  find it fun  if you wish to  get  a  shuttle unit  they  are cheaper from the  person i  bought mine from  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-N-gauge-Z-Gauge-Hornby-Train-Shuttle-Unit-/221335589353?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3388a111e9

So do you need 2 of these one for each end? and does it work with DCC?

cheers
Geoff

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 08:33:33 pm »
Hi  All,   

cheers

Hi  Geoff,   

You only need one  unit  the track   at  either end  has a break in  one rail  with a diode  ........    it  isnt suitable for  DCC   though  i'm  afraid  although  it  may be possible in another way  to set a shuttle in  DCC 

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 08:42:25 pm »
Some decoders support auto-reversing using "asymmetric" DCC - which just uses a few diodes.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51984-dcc-shuttle-module/

and see NigelCliffe's posting on setting up push-pull and asymmetric braking.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Geoff

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 08:44:45 pm »
Hi  All,   

cheers

Hi  Geoff,   

You only need one  unit  the track   at  either end  has a break in  one rail  with a diode  ........    it  isnt suitable for  DCC   though  i'm  afraid  although  it  may be possible in another way  to set a shuttle in  DCC

Yeah I have been looking at a Lenz BM 1 but you need a decoder that has asymmetrical built in.

http://www.lenzusa.com/1newsite1/BM1.html
Geoff

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything