!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: AnyRail  (Read 12474 times)

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: AnyRail
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2018, 08:29:37 am »
I'm with njee20 100%. Scarm is a no go area, Anyrail has always been my goto design software but I have started to use Templot for its unbelievable flexibility. And it is cheap - in fact its free these days.
In the past I looked at Xtrkcad (is that what its called?) - unbelievably difficult to use.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is in the August 2018 edition of Raiway Modeller

and in real life at the Normanton and Pontefract exhibition. New College, Park Lane, Pontefract. 26/27th January 2019

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline Chris Morris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2018, 08:38:16 am »
I love doodling with Anyrail - keeps me happy for hours. If only I had the time , space and funds to build them all!

This is a plan for Bodmin General and Boscarne Junction. Probably better suited to OO as the correct locos are available for steam days. Could be done in the present day as a preserved railway.

Sometimes I overlay plans of a real place so I can get a scale track plan. Getting the scale of the overlay correct for use on Anyrail is a pain of trial and error but I think it is worth it.

Sometimes I export the plan as a jpg and add scenic details using powerpoint. This is my scheme for Dawlish Warren but also including a bit of sea wall and Cockwood harbour. I think this would make a nice exhibition layout.

I like grand plans...
This is the master plan for Hawes Junction currently under construction at Warley Model Railway Club - I love it when a plan comes together.

...and simple ones. This might make a nice starter layout for someone, or a nice layout for the NGS shunter.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:45:28 am by Chris Morris »

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2018, 09:44:47 am »
AnyRail for me as well and like Chris, I've frittered away many an hour 'designing' all sort of layouts.

Frequent updates from the developers add improvements and fixes and the ability to add user objects is handy.

I did try SCARM and just couldn't get my remaining brain cell(s) to figure it all out.  :dunce:

Horses for courses I guess and do appreciate what Mixy offers but it's just not for me.

Dave G

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2018, 05:14:56 pm »
I used Xtrack to design Claywell which has a very steep learning curve and later found out about Anyrail which is so, so much easier to use and as an exercise I used the free version of Anyrail (50 pieces of track) to recreate Oxford North, one day if I ever get the space and time I'd like to create it in N gauge.

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2018, 06:37:03 pm »
Looks really complicated, Caz.

Good luck with that, if you ever get the chance!

Dave G

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2018, 09:57:48 pm »
I find that’s where Anyrail falls down, as with the best will in the world Caz, that looks very straight, and trying to use flex track on a whole plan to curve the whole layout is much harder.

My magnum opus would be Rugby, and I found Templot far easier to use for really large plans - import a photo and overlay the track, with gloriously satisfying long pointwork.

Offline LeftToMyOwnDevices

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25806
  • …and left to my own devices... I probably would...
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2018, 10:50:34 pm »
…and later found out about Anyrail which is so, so much easier to use and as an exercise I used the free version of Anyrail (50 pieces of track)

This is how I started with AnyRail.
Initially, I downloaded the free version, but soon came up against the 50 pieces of track limit. By then, I was having so much fun, that I thought: “Yea…! I’ll buy the full version!” :thumbsup:

I’ve since used it to create my ‘ultimate’ track plan. Mainly to see if it would fit where I thought it does (it does, I think… :worried:). The plan will have at least two levels and it has helped me to assess how the gradients will work. It has also alerted me to where I probably will need rethink things a bit more. Perhaps that shows the value of planning things in advance. :hmmm:

I know that AnyRail allows you to handle actual gradients, but I set mine on different ‘Layers’, so I could print them out on separate sheets of paper/card and and make a physical ‘mock-up’. This has been almost as much fun as building the real thing…

I find that’s where Anyrail falls down, as with the best will in the world Caz, that looks very straight, and trying to use flex track on a whole plan to curve the whole layout is much harder.

I’ve not had that problem myself, mainly because AnyRail works in a very similar way to how have I used vector drawing programs, like Adobe Illustrator. The bonus is that you can set your own minimum radius, so that the track turns Red when you bend it too much. :goggleeyes:

…and I found Templot far easier to use for really large plans - import a photo and overlay the track, with gloriously satisfying long pointwork.

…whereas I have found is impossible to get anywhere with Templot…!  :(

Perhaps we need to arrange a mutual training session...!
You can teach me Templot – and can teach you (or anyone else) about AnyRail...! :D

I love doodling with Anyrail - keeps me happy for hours. If only I had the time, space and funds to build them all!

Me too, oh me too...!

Sometimes I overlay plans of a real place so I can get a scale track plan. Getting the scale of the overlay correct for use on Anyrail is a pain of trial and error but I think it is worth it.

That is true. I have found that putting an N Gauge scale ‘grid’ on my scan, before bringing it in to Anyrail helps. Then you can match it up to the Anyrail ‘grid’.

Sometimes I export the plan as a jpg and add scenic details using powerpoint.

Oooh...! That’s a thought. Will probably use Microsoft Publisher in my case.

Charles.
"Underground, Overground: Our friends Electric"

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2018, 07:57:06 pm »

It's straight because the original was straight.  The track only starts to curve once out of the station.

Offline bbdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2018, 05:30:21 pm »
A quick Anyrail question when I set an easement curve for a min radius of 24" it always comes out at 23 31/32" any idea why this is?

Dave

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here