!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: kato track  (Read 15571 times)

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: kato track
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2011, 08:33:15 pm »
Having practised on a straight piece of wooden tie track and been reasonably pleased with the result, started work on the layout.

Nightmare! I have double track with concrete ties  and the concrete ties are lower profile than the wooden ones. So the method of using a brush to smooth out the ballast between the ties did not work because it just brushed out most of the ballast. Even worse was the banked curves where the ballast just slid downwards! Have now resorted to using a fine brush and painting the glue between the ties. So it is all a bit messy and time consuming. I now wish that I'd just painted the shoulders of the track with glue and not bothered with the centre. It has also decided me to hide the sidings and points from view so I don't have to ballast them.

Only saving grace is that most track that I have looked at recently in my patch has heaps of ballast down the centre of the track covering part of the ties and ballast heaped up at the side and the pictures I've looked at of the Dawlish area are showing the same thing. And this looks messy too! So I might just get away with it if I put a line of ballast down the centre of each track.

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: kato track
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2012, 02:46:47 pm »
Hello Pendy
                    I had similar trouble and decided just to  ballast up to track shoulders.
I used a Woodland Scenics ballast which I am told was designed to match Kato track base preformed ballast - looks ok  -  Good Luck !

Johnson.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here