!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Naked Wagons  (Read 565 times)

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Naked Wagons
« on: September 13, 2018, 03:29:10 pm »
We often talk about 'weathering' wagons - but we usually mean 'dirtying'. So what about actual weathering, just the effects of sun, rain, wind and frost?

All paint will ultimately peel from weather-exposed wooden surfaces, and decades-old wagons were no exception. There was an article in the Model Railway Journal No.262 (April 2018) about representing bare-wood wagons, and the examples were in O-Gauge, with references to blending paints, representing knots and wood grain etc.

I wanted to make some bare-wood wagons in N Gauge, and am doing some experiments to find the most realistic finish I can.

New wagons were bare inside and liveried on the outside. Here's an example at the Swansea Maritime Musuem:

Incidentally, the other side represents a different wagon:

This wagon has seen little actual weather, but even indoors the wood has been darkened by sunlight.

Over time timber bleaches, loses its sap, becomes porous, absorbs water then rots. Here are some wagons at Beamish whose paintwork is gradually deteriorating:

The other side of the left-hand hopper has even less paint on it:

The woodwork of these three wagons at Blists Hill Museum, Ironbridge, is almost completely bare:

So that's the look I'm aiming for. I started with a bunch of old wagons, two Minitrix 8-plank and a Grafar 6-plank mineral, plus a Grafar 5-plank goods, and stripped their paintwork in a pot of brake-fluid:

I decided to work with the 'cream' wagon body as was, but primed the yellow one white. The black body will be white washed to begin with; the brown will be be brush-painted light grey.

From that basis I'm working with Citadel Models (Games Workshop) washes, particularly 'Nuln Oil' (black) and 'Earthshade' (brown).

Here, the two outer wagons have received a wash of Nuln Oil diluted 50:50 and the central one white acrylic diluted with 25% with water:

After 3 coats of diluted Nuln Oil (including the white-washed wagon) I'm pleased with progress, but am pressing on with more layers of wash to see how they evolve.

Watch this space!

Mike
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 05:59:16 pm by Only Me »

Offline Jollybob

• N Gauge Society Number: 22210
  • WD fan in the heart of the GWR
    • Awards
Re: Naked Wagons
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 03:40:04 am »
This is a very interesting subject, a good way of finding out how to create that weather worn look.
I usually like to keep my wagons pristine but I've been debating recently if it worth creating the same idea with sleepers on a neglected siding, that we often find dotted about the rail network?

Also, stripping it down with brake fluid, that sounds like a great idea? If you don't mind me asking, how do you do that?

Rob.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:43:23 am by Jollybob »

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 10:04:03 am »
Also, stripping it down with brake fluid, that sounds like a great idea? If you don't mind me asking, how do you do that?

Rob.

Thanks Rob. Basically, put the body to be stripped in a container (I used a plastic mushroom punnet) and add brake fluid to cover. Allow to soak for a day or two. Scrub under cold tap with old toothbrush. Wash with detergent and dry. Other methods cited here and elsewhere on this site. The fluid is nasty stuff - read its safety instructions.. Good luck!

Mike

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 01:15:06 pm »
I'll be following your efforts at 'naked wood' closely as I can think of some bits other than wagons that this could also be applied to.

Slightly off topic but I've got three of the NER hoppers in photos three and four to make. So far I've almost finished one!

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 01:18:01 pm »
OK, well that's the woodwork more or less  done.

We have a range of tones here, with the leftmost wagon most bleached. The body was brush painted, a single coat of Humbrol 28 (Camouflage Grey) over the dark brown plastic. A rub over with a thumb whilst ‘touch dry’ brought out moulded detail, then one coat of undiluted Nuln Oil finished the job.

Next the black 8 plank, which is now a bit dark and bluish, so I might do a bit more fettling to that.

What was a yellow 8 plank is a bit browner than I'd like. I suspect the Nuln Oil is a bit brown, plus the primer struggled to suppress the chrome yellow plastic. I can live with this as a younger bare wood example.

Finally the cream 6 plank looks like a dirty new but never painted wagon. Once again, I'll run with that.

In conclusion, to get old, bare wood we're looking for monochrome - the leftmost example turned out to be the quickest way to get there.

Aging the chassis and metalwork to match the age of the body to follow…

Mike

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 01:25:25 pm »
I'll be following your efforts at 'naked wood' closely as I can think of some bits other than wagons that this could also be applied to.

Slightly off topic but I've got three of the NER hoppers in photos three and four to make. So far I've almost finished one!

Thanks Steve. Here are the other two I snapped at Beamish.

Mike

Online maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 03:36:59 pm »
Rust and chassis dirt are much more random effects than wood-aging, making reference to prototype photographs essential. First we have the two Grafar wagons.

The 'newish wood' example on the left has its strapping picked  out with a Sharpie permanent marker, which has an oily purple cast, and sits on an untreated chassis. I will probably add a very thin white-wash coat overall to tone this all down a little.

The 'ancient wood' example on the right has its metalwork and chassis picked out in a basic brown, which I shall touch up with Citadel 'Seraphim Sepia' to vary the rust tone, as per this Ironbridge example:

The Minitrix examples have some mods to their chassis; the brake-cylinders below have been snipped off, as have the tie-bars between the W-irons. The one on the right has been given a 'wooden' chassis by filling in the U-channel of the solebars with Humbrol Model Filler and painting to match the body. Strapping was picked out in Sharpie again.

Both chassis' metalwork were previously given a wash of 25% diluted white acrylic and have now had all their ironwork highlighted with several coats of Citadel 'Agrax Earthshade', a dark brown wash.

From the outset this was an experiment, with the stripping bath awaiting the unsuccessful, but I'm quite pleased with how they've turned out, and will be pressing them into (Internal Use Only) service, adding suitable markings and dirt and treating them to new (but rusty looking) Farish spoked wheels.

I hope the examples here are helpful to modellers looking to diversify the look of their stock.

Mike

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:33:26 pm by maridunian »

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 05:05:42 pm »
Beautiful work Mike. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline kelstonlad

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 12:30:22 pm »
Lovely stuff, gave me lots of ideas - thanks.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 07:03:23 pm »
looking great, I may steal some ideas :)

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here