!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Aberayron to Pencader  (Read 20154 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Aberayron to Pencader
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2016, 11:21:05 am »
Think this is going to be another of the forum's awesome layouts, it's coming on a treat.   :thumbsup:

Agree.... again!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2016, 01:01:19 pm »
Think this is going to be another of the forum's awesome layouts, it's coming on a treat.   :thumbsup:

Agree.... again!  :thumbsup:

Thirded! 8-)

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2016, 01:13:47 pm »
 :thankyousign:
Those are very encouraging comments from you all.  Much appreciated.  :beers: The back door of the station building looks much better, and as the platform side will be seen only by a contortionist using a flashlight and a mirror, perhaps I'll leave it at that.  It will be only my conscience that will be dissatisfied! 
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline signalman1

• Awards
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2016, 03:02:40 pm »
Great work David, I really am playing catch up. :claphappy:

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2016, 04:18:42 pm »
I have family in the area and know it well. I will look forward to seeing this develop. Out of interest, why did you chose to model Aberayron rather than the real terminus of that branch at Newcastle Emlyn?
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2016, 06:32:57 pm »
Aberayron rather than Newcastle Emlyn? 
I have family in the area and know it well. I will look forward to seeing this develop. Out of interest, why did you chose to model Aberayron rather than the real terminus of that branch at Newcastle Emlyn?
For
1) Size. NE was twice as long and wouldn't have fitted in the shed.
2) Family.  My parents retired to Aberaeron (Ffos-y-ffin) and my maternal grandfather came from Dihewyd.
3) Love of Aberaeron and friends there.  I know the people who now live opposite what is now Dwr Cymru and will put their house on the backscene.
4) Scenics. Not every station has a river running through it!
Against
1) NE had a turntable.
2) The NE branch was not a light railway and I could legitimately run bigger engines (but I'm going to run Prairies anyway!  :P )
3) Prototypical accuracy.
So that is four converted tries to two tries and a dropgoal: Aberayron 24: Newcastle Emlyn 9.

Family? I had family in Ferryside (where I spent every summer from 1949 to 1969 within 25 yards of the Paddington-Fishguard line and for the first six years carried buckets of water over the tracks when we needed it), Dreifach Velindre, St Dogmaels, Pentre Cwrt, Penrhiwllan, and Llandyssul.  My wife and I met in uni at Aberystwyth  :thumbsup: but the floods washed the line away before we could travel it!  :'(  I think it qualifies for enough connection to the area!
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2016, 11:29:17 am »
That's a very good effort on the station, I'd hate anybody to put my efforts under a magnifying glass  :goggleeyes: and as for the engine shed I'd go for the Ratio, have a look at Port Perrans excellent example for encouragement!

OK, I put the Ratio kit together, and it does look a lot better than the "proper" one would.
This is the link to the post-fire one which was about to be demolished at Wrexham before the GWR decided to save money by re-building it at Aberaeron.  From what I can tell, it had sides of corrugated asbestos with sheets of some transparent material for letting light in.
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/wrexham_central/index10.shtml

I can't find any picture of the pre-1924 engine shed to know what that looked like.  :(

And I've built a rake of Cav'ndish toplight coaches which I bought over 30 years ago - but I don't think they ever would have run on the Manchester and Milford!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2016, 05:24:23 pm »
Loco shed looks very good with a suitably grimy interior :thumbsup:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2016, 11:12:18 pm »
Wot he said  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2016, 02:57:13 pm »
The shed looks good to me  :thumbsup:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2016, 03:34:50 am »
As my (yet to materialise) layout is set in Wales I will be keeping a close eye on this thread!

All the best with the project  :D
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2017, 05:57:49 pm »
Apologies for forgetting to post: I've been constructing the intermediate baseboard for Henllan, planning the gradients, track-laying, wiring, testing, making models and trying to keep all the track clean!
Henllan is working even as far as having the magnets in the track for uncoupling.  Station building, platforms and signal box are done.  The polystyrene under the backscene provides a ledge onto which I shall hook the ShaperSheet modules.  They will be removable so that I can work on the scenery without having to stretch over the layout.  The space in the foreground will be the hill rising towards the viewer so that the view will be through the trees down the station approach drive.

Union Mills Dukedog has hauled a completely non-prototypical train from Aberaeron.  A small Prairie has split up a pick-up goods.

I tried to detail the interior of the signal boxes: Ratio kit for Henllan and Metcalfe for Pencader.

And Aberayron is looking more like the real station was...

with Selwyn's house across the road from the end of the platform.

The next stage is to complete the upper-level board for Pencader.  One adjustment already made is to change the position of it to allow for the height of that Dukedog!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2017, 07:02:04 pm »
That's looking very, very good.
I have a concern about the mutant animals in the cattle pen, though. What are they? :worried:

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2017, 11:36:34 pm »
I have a concern about the mutant animals in the cattle pen, though. What are they? :worried:
:smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  1930s Cardiganshire, Mick!  What else but Welsh Blacks?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2017, 09:11:27 am »
Having Googled them I humbly apologise to your sheep :-[
 :sorrysign:

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00