!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

N gauge Pendolino

Yes I'd invest in a crowd sourcing venture for a 9 car N gauge Pendolino
62 (37.1%)
No I wouldn't
74 (44.3%)
I have voted on the RMWeb poll so cannot vote here
31 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Pendolino - a new approach  (Read 266025 times)

Online Bob Tidbury

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Pendolino - a new approach
« Reply #2640 on: June 19, 2018, 10:33:55 pm »
I know some of you modern modellers will think this a stupid question but here goes ,I know that Virgin had some class 57 locos to rescue a broken down Pendolino and that they were called thunderbirds and named after the characters in the series and they had a different coupling but my question is did the 57s ever PUSH a Pendolino ?
Bob Tidbury

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2641 on: June 19, 2018, 11:09:43 pm »
Good question. :hmmm: I've only ever seen a T-bird (of whatever livery; Virgin, DRS) dragging a MU. The dynamics of pushing will be very different to pulling - is the coupler up to it?
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline acko22

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #2642 on: June 20, 2018, 01:18:51 am »
I know some of you modern modellers will think this a stupid question but here goes ,I know that Virgin had some class 57 locos to rescue a broken down Pendolino and that they were called thunderbirds and named after the characters in the series and they had a different coupling but my question is did the 57s ever PUSH a Pendolino ?
Bob Tidbury

Hi Bob,

On the mainline as far as I am aware never so I posed the question to a friend on the railways and his answer was that on a mainline service it will never happen, the Pendolino effectively becomes coaches just as a rake of Mk2 would, and that in the rule book the loco has to be a the front of the train for a mainline service. The biggest reasons been that if there was to be some form of malfunction at the controls such as:

The locomotive brakes working and the coach brakes not operating as normal - So the locomotive brakes can still be operated to bring the train to a safe standstill.

Failure in coupling between the train and locomotive - So as standard if the train does uncouple for any reason and the locomotive is at the rear its a question of braking distance as the brakes would slam on due to complete loss of pressure and the braking force per ton on the Pendolino is much greater than the locomotive so there is a massive risk that the locomotive especially on a downward gradient would rear end the Pendolino which has come to a stand still.

Failure in control - This one does have a question mark over it as he is unsure if you can control the locomotive from the Pendo cab! - But if you can and there is a failure in the control systems then you could end up with a loco not responding (brakes going on, etc) as required and there is no way to override it without getting off the train to get back on and this ins't going to happen at 50mph so by having the loco at the front you have the controls of the powering locomotive to any issues  can be dealt with in cab.

That is all on mainline running at speed they can however push the trains in shunting moves at low speed generally under instruction from staff on the ground, which does happen on a regular basis

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #2643 on: June 20, 2018, 01:44:17 am »
And the Pendo cannot be configured as a driving trailer.

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2644 on: June 20, 2018, 09:44:20 am »
 :thankyousign: guys for such interesting posts I didnít think it was possible but in that case My Thunderbird is just tagged on the back for re positioning which is probably also wrong ,RULE ONE IN FORCE AGAIN .Im not going to keep taking the front panel  on and off and fitting the coupling OR swapping the power cars and 57 round ,never mind .The Poppylino still looks great pushing the dummy 57 round forwards, shame Iím not D C C then I could turn the front lights off .next task is to put a high intensity light on the front of the 57 IF I CAN .
Bob Tidbury

Offline carderrail

• Awards
« Reply #2645 on: June 29, 2018, 07:01:44 am »
A quick question as I am trying to catch-up on website updates....The 5-Car Pendo - what is the Stock Code used on the box?

The information book in the Pendo Set states 2003 but Rapido had it listed as 2004 in their information (the 2-Car extension pack has the number 2003).

Many Thanks

Tony

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #2646 on: June 29, 2018, 08:29:06 am »

Hi Tony,

Well spotted - I hadn't noticed that!

It's a typo - the correct code for the 5-car sets is 2004 (DC Silent) and 2504 (DCC Sound) and the intermediate cars are 2003.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #2647 on: July 08, 2018, 08:03:08 pm »
Has anybody managed to remove the cab and fit a driver? I have tried to remove the cab interior but it seems rather well attached. Any suggestions appreciated

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #2648 on: July 08, 2018, 08:39:39 pm »
im pretty unsure the manual has not been printed that you find online. any screws /springs under the couplings or a gentle easing off the bodyshell of the cxhassis ?

Offline Spanners70

• Awards
« Reply #2649 on: July 12, 2018, 11:10:42 am »
Are we all still waiting for the missing coach light mounting screws ? Or have mine got missed/lost in the post ?
And still waiting for response on my pendos as both pantographs are bent on my locos, I got a reply of use the spares it came with. I sent the reply I could do but then defeats the object if sending the spares with the loco if I use them straight away and then donít have any spares for further in the future.

I know mike and Ben are busy but despite emailing all the addresses I can find I just carnt get any response ! So loooking for thoughts.

Thanks all.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #2650 on: July 12, 2018, 11:24:06 am »
Not all the missing screws have been sent out - partly because I have run out of screws and am waiting for some more and partly because I knackered my wrist playing cricket.

Pantograph - I made the suggestion about using the spares supplied as that is precisely what they are for!

Cheers, Mike

Offline Nighthawk

• N Gauge Society Number: 21103
    • Awards
« Reply #2651 on: July 12, 2018, 12:40:18 pm »
Hi Spanners70,
I am sure you will receive screws from Mike in due time.
I did received mine with my light bars, but only the exact number needed (14). They are fiendishly small at 1.4mm OD x 3mm thread length so I have just ordered 100 from "regan800" on Ebay for £1.88 (post free) from china. This will provide spares for any that might land up as carpet fodder and also for additional light bars that I hope I will be able to order later on for my City of Birmingham.
Delivery from China is estimated as from 31July and 11Sept !

Regards
John D

Offline Spanners70

• Awards
« Reply #2652 on: July 12, 2018, 12:54:48 pm »
Thanks for the update mike, no problem just wasnít sure Iíd been missed, I shall continue to hurry up and wait for the screws. If itís in hand etc, thatís good enough for me  :)

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #2653 on: July 12, 2018, 11:39:07 pm »
my screw packet has just arrived

many thanks ( and to @Nighthawk for another source)
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2654 on: July 13, 2018, 09:59:31 am »
Those screws are really tiny ,I had more trouble fitting the screws than taking the coach apart ,itís very tricky trying to put a tiny black screw in a hole in a black light bar , I also put some of the cheap brightly coloured people in but to be honest you still canít see them as my Pendo doesnít actually stop at my station .
Bob Tidbury

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here