!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

N gauge Pendolino

Yes I'd invest in a crowd sourcing venture for a 9 car N gauge Pendolino
62 (37.6%)
No I wouldn't
72 (43.6%)
I have voted on the RMWeb poll so cannot vote here
31 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Pendolino - a new approach  (Read 250463 times)

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Pendolino - a new approach
« Reply #2520 on: May 12, 2018, 11:42:32 pm »
Just had a play with Alsthom Pendolino on my test track.

Oh dear, I need a new test track. The 9 inch Bachman set track curves do not suite the train, to much curvature had carriages derailing.

I settled on running with just one power car to start with, once I had run that in, I was able to get both power cars to run together in a 5 car train, but Iím definately at the hairy edge as far as curve radius goes.

Other than that the model ran superbly, waiting for it to do its thing with drive sounds on takes some patience. I reckon a good 5 seconds from applying throttle to actually seeing movement.

I just need to get my real layout finished now.

Regards,

John P

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2521 on: May 13, 2018, 01:22:46 am »
Iíve had 101 Squadron running on and off for a couple of weeks, absolutely no problems whatsoever. Runs beautifully.

Today I put Poppylino on the track, one bogie on coach U needed slightly loosening on the bogie pivot screw as it kept derailing. All excellent after that.

Only Britain is Great left to run. What wonderful models. So glad I got these, and amazed they cope with my terrible 25 year old rough track work too. Itís got buckles and dips and poor joints all over the place, but the Pendos merrily negotiate all of it.

Hereís a quick video of Poppylino on my old board.

https://youtu.be/iO_iJZTAsFg

Thank you again Ben, Mike and the Rapido gang for all your excellent work.

Cheers, Timmo

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #2522 on: May 13, 2018, 01:59:12 am »
looking really good. you're a braver man than me running that fast that close to the edge.

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2523 on: May 13, 2018, 10:10:59 am »
I donít normally run things that fast, I as just amazed it went that quick, and how well it ran too. Wonít be happening again tho.

Cheers, Timmo

Online timz01

• Awards
« Reply #2524 on: May 14, 2018, 10:53:09 pm »
How do,

Just looking for a bit of help, i got the DC version put two EUN651 (TCS) decoders in each end and off it goes, i heard one motor sounding like it was straining, so split the train in half and one end shot off significantly faster.

Now given they are the same decoder and the same motor, i would expect them to run more or less the same and i was wondering if the BEMF could be messing with the running.

Has anyone else put their own decoders in a DC model? how did you get on and what decoders did you use?

Cheers
Tim

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #2525 on: May 14, 2018, 11:00:31 pm »
Turn off dc running cv tcs are awful imo, never found one that works the same as the next, id go for the farish zimo ones at about £20 each i have a box full of tcs  that ive acquired over time, all do weird things so dont even sell them on...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:02:58 pm by Only Me »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2526 on: May 15, 2018, 09:55:12 am »
Just diverging onto the real thing a Pendolino was run from Preston to Blackpool on the newly electrified lines and (I believe) next Monday Pendos start running from Blackpool to London.

Offline Buzzard

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #2527 on: May 15, 2018, 10:50:36 am »
Just looking for a bit of help, i got the DC version put two EUN651 (TCS) decoders in each end and off it goes, i heard one motor sounding like it was straining, so split the train in half and one end shot off significantly faster.

I had a similar experience with a DCC'd OO gauge loco I bought from Hattons.  I knew there was a problem before buying it but I intended to fit it with sound so didn't worry too much.

I didn't know what chip it came with but 2 minutes on the programming track gave me that info.  I then found out what code to put into CV8 in order to do a factory reset.  Once that was done the loco runs a whole lot better.

I have read that a lot of DCC "problems" can be fixed with a factory reset.  OK so some codes might have to be re-entered but that could be seen as a small price to pay.

For info the code to put into CV8 to do a reset on a TCS chip is 8.  Might be worth a go?

In light of what Only Me said about TCS chips if you re-program one best to do t'other one as well.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #2528 on: May 15, 2018, 11:12:28 am »
On the presumption it was a new decoder it should of course be "factory fresh" out of the box.

Worth a try for a few seconds effort, but if you can't easily match the speed curves I'd perhaps echo Only Me's thoughts, keep the TCS for function use and get Zimo MX622Ns for the Pendolino.

Offline cjdodd

• Owner of Colworth Hill and Billybrook Yard
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2529 on: May 15, 2018, 02:33:03 pm »
I chipped my DC model to DCC last week with two Lenz Silver Minis. Both power cars work flawlessly

Online DaveW79

• Awards
« Reply #2530 on: May 15, 2018, 11:40:55 pm »
A pair of Lenz Silver Minis worked great for me too. Only problem I had was figuring out which way round pin 1 went? I worked it out ok and might have missed an easy step but didnít see anything obvious on the pendo pcbs to identify pin 1 easily? Anybody else have the same issue, or able to tell me something daft I missed?

Offline Ollie3440

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18238
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • The Fiddle Yard
    • Awards
« Reply #2531 on: May 16, 2018, 09:33:42 pm »
Evening all,

I'm a happy chap tonight! My pair are now in hand awaiting running in tomorrow night. Many thanks to Ben and Mike for making this fantastic project happen and here's to the next project!

Cheers

Ollie

:NGaugersRule:
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #2532 on: May 17, 2018, 03:32:07 am »
I just received my Poppylino and City of London from Rapido. Stunning looking models they are, in their boxes. They are the DCC sound version.

I only have a tiny little DC test track at the moment. Can I run these DCC pendos out of the box, or do I need to do something (like replace the chips with blanking plugs) first?

[Still have to decide whether to go DCC when I finally get a room to rebuild the layout...]

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #2533 on: May 17, 2018, 08:43:51 am »

Hi Mark,

As long as your controller puts out less than 15V you'll be fine operating a DCC Sound model on DC, though of course you'll get limited functionality and the controllable sounds (horn, announcements, various brake and operational noises) won't be applicable.

We put the warning on the box because some older controllers can put out spikes of up to 17V and this can cause problems.

If you have a modern controller specified for N then it should be fine; if it's an older controller and designed for larger scales then I would avoid.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #2534 on: May 18, 2018, 02:35:13 am »
Great! Thanks Ben. Iím totally new to the DCC thing.

I read the booklet about the toy train / O gauge controller that is written in typically humourous ĎRapidoí style. Iím pretty sure that my controller is 12V according to my multimeter.

Looks like I will have some fun with a couple of short Pendos over the weekend.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here