!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

N gauge Pendolino

Yes I'd invest in a crowd sourcing venture for a 9 car N gauge Pendolino
62 (37.6%)
No I wouldn't
72 (43.6%)
I have voted on the RMWeb poll so cannot vote here
31 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Pendolino - a new approach  (Read 250421 times)

Online Bob Tidbury

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Pendolino - a new approach
« Reply #2310 on: April 16, 2018, 01:25:11 pm »
Newportnobby  Im.sure that there must be somebody who lives near you who could sort out your Poppylino for you it must be must be just  a D C C setting thats not been changed to run on D C I would think ,
I dont know anything about D C C but I know you do get some sound when you run a sound fitted loco on pure D C and it shouldnt make any diference to how it runs as far as I know.
As to the coupling together mine was quite a tight fit at first and I had to tilt it slightly,I find all modern coaches a bit of a fiddle to put on the trsck but Im sure it will. get easier once you have used it a few times ,the one I tried on the Revolution stand at T I N G S last  year coupled up really easy ,why not see if someone offers you some help and advice before you sell it on you might regret it later on .
Perhaps someone might want to swap you for a plain D C one if you really want to .But think about it first it really is a superb bit of kit.
Bob Tidbury

Offline cutting42

• Awards
« Reply #2311 on: April 16, 2018, 02:18:12 pm »
City of Birmingham received but strangely not my original 9 car set yet. Also came with loose wheel sets but three packets rather than the four received by others. Can't recall whether they were just spares or for something in particular.

Also if I wish to convert from DCC to DC, I will need a DCC blanking plug, can I get one from Revolution or any DCC supplier please?

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #2312 on: April 16, 2018, 02:28:18 pm »
Blanking plugs are generic - but Next18 ones are not as easy to come by yet as 6-pin ones.

I must have one from my Dapol 68, but you’ll need two.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #2313 on: April 16, 2018, 02:33:59 pm »
Sounds as if there could be an aftermarket in Pendolino sound chips with those who have them but don't want them selling to those who don't have them but want them, or want spares.

One question, do all the locos have speakers, wiring, etc. and can the chips me moved like this, a question for @Ben A I think?

Might also be useful to have an indicative price.

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2314 on: April 16, 2018, 02:43:47 pm »
City of Birmingham received but strangely not my original 9 car set yet.

Understandably they are being sent are one set to a package. When I was selling the first of mine a few days back I was shocked at the cost of insured shipping for a 2.1kg package. RevolutioN charged far less for shipping, as I believe @red-death has mentioned previously.

Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Offline cutting42

• Awards
« Reply #2315 on: April 16, 2018, 02:48:42 pm »

Understandably they are being sent are one set to a package. When I was selling the first of mine a few days back I was shocked at the cost of insured shipping for a 2.1kg package. RevolutioN charged far less for shipping, as I believe @red-death has mentioned previously.

Ah OK, that make sense.

Online Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #2316 on: April 16, 2018, 02:49:01 pm »
Blanking plugs are generic - but Next18 ones are not as easy to come by yet as 6-pin ones.

The Pendolinos are not next18, they are standard six pin.

As for the speakers they are soldered to the wires from the chip, can be removed relatively easily

@Newportnobby all DCC sound ones are set to run on DC by default.  If you want it to have the intertia removed you would need a dcc guy to recode the two cvs for you to zero BUT then the sounds would not be in sync with the way it moves.
Set CV3=0 and CV4=0
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:55:42 pm by Only Me »

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #2317 on: April 16, 2018, 02:52:16 pm »

The Pendolinos are not next18, they are standard six pin.

As for the speakers they are soldered to the wires from the chip, can be removed relatively easily

@Newportnobby all DCC sound ones are set to run on DC by default.

Even better, thanks for the information. :thumbsup:

Offline Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #2318 on: April 16, 2018, 03:05:24 pm »

I had the same happen to me. The 11 Car sets are sent by Parcel Force 48 and the 9 Car sets by Royal Mail 2nd Class signed for.

The Royal Mail delivered packet arrived the day after the Parcel Force delivered packet.

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2319 on: April 16, 2018, 03:31:35 pm »
Newportnobby  Im.sure that there must be somebody who lives near you who could sort out your Poppylino for you it must be must be just  a D C C setting thats not been changed to run on D C I would think ,

Bob Tidbury

@Bob Tidbury
Bob - it runs, but it seems the sound controls the movement so, unlike my Peco 22xx which is both DCC and DC there is no instant control of the Pendolino. It moves when the sound lets it. I found the only way to stop it was 'emergency braking' owing to the built in inertia as Only Me mentions. It's a lovely (and heavy) model but I won't be keeping it. I don't keep locos on the layout so would hate to have to couple/uncouple this every time I wanted to use it

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • NGS Product Development Officer
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #2320 on: April 16, 2018, 04:02:16 pm »
Blanking plates - I'm pretty sure that the DCC sound ones are not supplied with blanking plates (NEM651 6 pin blanking plates from any supplier should fit - we don't have any spare).

Spare wheelsets - the factory forgot to include non-traction tired wheel sets which is why we have had to add them in loose (we only received them after we had sent out the first 25%).  Opening up every pack to put them in would add more time to an already lengthy packing process.  To be honest we debated whether to include them or just let people request them if they needed them - we don't imagine that the majority of people will need them. Perhaps we should leave them out.

Carriers - as others have mentioned they are all coming through the Royal Mail but depending on the total weight of each package they might come via Royal Mail or Parcel Force (Ben's very helpful local PO is making that decision!).  Incidentally some of the more recent multiple orders may be coming in larger boxes with 2 or 3 sets in.

DCC sound on DC - I don't think it is any surprise that DCC sound fitted models do not behave the same as a DC model.  The idea is that on DC a DCC sound fitted model will go through the start up regime and then move off.  The sound does not control the movement, but the other way round (once it has been through the start up process)!  Anything with programmed inertia will need to be driven differently under DC or DCC ie you have to let it move off and then you have to slow it down earlier.

Another 100+ (I lost count) were packed yesterday and went to the PO today. Still a lot to go, but the piles of boxes are coming down.

Cheers, Mike

Offline cazadoom

• N Gauge Society Number: 21448
    • Awards
« Reply #2321 on: April 16, 2018, 04:10:25 pm »

Carriers - as others have mentioned they are all coming through the Royal Mail but depending on the total weight of each package they might come via Royal Mail or Parcel Force (Ben's very helpful local PO is making that decision!).  Incidentally some of the more recent multiple orders may be coming in larger boxes with 2 or 3 sets in.

Hi Mike,

Mentioned to Ben i have a lot of trouble with Parcel Force delivering to my address, They are to bone idle to walk up the flat stairs, I never get packages or we have missed you cards from them,  so there is no way of knowing if they have attempted delivery or not. apart from keeping an eye on the tracking Is there a way to get a hold of tracking numbers for the parcels? (when the are sent out)

Cheers

Callum

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2322 on: April 16, 2018, 04:11:50 pm »

DCC sound on DC - I don't think it is any surprise that DCC sound fitted models do not behave the same as a DC model. 

Not being savvy it was a surprise to me but at least it has alerted me to change my pre order for the Farish 8F just in case. A lesson hard learned.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #2323 on: April 16, 2018, 04:18:26 pm »

DCC sound on DC - I don't think it is any surprise that DCC sound fitted models do not behave the same as a DC model. 

Not being savvy it was a surprise to me but at least it has alerted me to change my pre order for the Farish 8F just in case. A lesson hard learned.

Usefull to know.  I have a few models now including a Eurostar set that go through startup before moving.  Just got used to it but it makes for a more realistic model.

Offline cutting42

• Awards
« Reply #2324 on: April 16, 2018, 04:19:13 pm »

Why don't you get some help to have the DCC chips removed (and sold) then run as a DC "quiet" version?

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything