!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

N gauge Pendolino

Yes I'd invest in a crowd sourcing venture for a 9 car N gauge Pendolino
62 (36.3%)
No I wouldn't
78 (45.6%)
I have voted on the RMWeb poll so cannot vote here
31 (18.1%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Author Topic: Pendolino - a new approach  (Read 283215 times)

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
Re: Pendolino - a new approach
« Reply #2730 on: July 31, 2018, 11:22:11 pm »
Hello Alan,

As far as I know your models are being repaired.  But it's my understanding a couple of bits are being sent from Canada, and this has taken time.

I am sorry you're unhappy with your models, and the speed of the repairs, but I know Simon is working his way through them because others have been in touch confirming this.  No one is refusing to help you, or ignoring you. 

As we have said before, you are welcome to a refund or to have the models fixed.

I will send this as a PM too, as you said you aren't monitoring this thread any more.

cheers

Ben
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:52:44 pm by Ben A »

Offline Jonny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21937
  • Hartley and Dale End. wartime LNER
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2731 on: August 10, 2018, 02:13:26 pm »
Ben, Mike and Rapido Repairs are fully aware of the issues with my Poppylino which was received in May and I was unable to run it owing to power car K just not staying on the track. I was asked to send the power car to Rapido repairs and it was duly signed for by them 2nd June. I still don't have a Poppylino I can run. I'm not going into the ins and outs as the guys on the other end are aware of it, but suffice to say if Dr Al had not gone public on the forum, I would have done. The communication and obfuscation has been pretty dire. It's all very well for those with a perfect model to say how wonderful everything is, but I can assure you it's not. Folks with faulty Pendos have suffered in silence for too long and no one should be gagged or told to complain off forum by anyone else not in the same boat. Of course I applaud RevolutioN for bringing this to market and all their efforts but the wheels came off regarding complaints and, their fault or not, they were the 'retailers' and should sort things rather than rely on a one man band who is obviously not able to cope at present.

I second all of what nobby has said and strangely we have a poppylino that will not run. First of all the motor in power car A would not run it would stop start. Funny enough I got the same answer as bobby . ‘Can’t find anything wrong with the motor even though it clearly had a tight spot in the same place every revolutioN ‘  Eventually after 3 months of owning it but never running we had someone to send it back too. It was sent back ROYALMAIL SPECIAL DELIVERY WHICH I PAID FOR AND NOT ONCE HAS ANYONE OFFERED TO REFUND ME FIR THAT!!!!

After a month I finally managed to get it back but only after complaining to Rapido Canada about it ( motor supposedly replaced even though he could find nothing wrong with original 🤔) . Received it back put back in the zimo sound chips we purchased for this as prefer to run Zimo guess what exactly the same. Purchased an esu sound chip it runs smoothly. Do we have a model here that is somehow fixed to run only with esu chips !!!??

So we purchased a matched pair of esu chips from legoman finally we have a pendo that will run we thought .

NOWAY this ruddy thing keeps derailing . No set pattern or reason thinking might be track and heat leave it until cools down. Replaced what thought was a bad point . Still exactly the same de-rails in different places never same place twice never same car.
Anyway today just been to a friends who has a 5 car pendo which runs perfectly. Tried the poppylino and low and behold it falls off . Same scenario different places different cars. Try his powercars with poppylino coaches one coach can be seen raising up on corners others clicking together on corners . Right let’s try poppylino powercars with friends coaches same problem powercars after 5-6 circuits fall off.
This thing has become a joke now and I’m going to email Canada again for a solution.

THIS WAS PURCHASED AS AN 80th BIRTHDAY PRESENT FOR MY FATHER AND SO FAR HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO RUN IT SINCE RECEIVING IT IN MARCH AND GAS COST US TWO ZIMO SOUND CHIPS AND TWO ESU SOUND CHIPS AND STILL NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

Rant over
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:15:56 pm by Jonny »
Live each day as if it's your last

As one day you may be right.

Carlisle to Silloth. 1854-1964
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_and_Silloth_Bay_Railway

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #2732 on: August 10, 2018, 03:03:05 pm »

Hello Jonny,

I am sorry you are having problems.  We don't want any customers to have difficulties and we are determined to get you a model you can run.

Rapido Repairs will reimburse postage; I don't know why this hasn't happened but I am sure if you contact them they will help.

By all means email Canada if you think that will help but if you're UK based I am confident that getting things resolved with Rapido Repairs is a better option.

In terms of cars riding up on curves - what minimum radius are you operating?  The Pendolino is designed for 12"radius curves, though I have seen it coping with tighter curves.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Jonny

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2733 on: August 10, 2018, 11:15:21 pm »
Hi Ben

Thanks for the reply

We are running mainly 24” curves with one that is just over 12”  nothing smaller not only does it ride up but you can see and hear that one and a couple of others click on the end faces on the side onthe inner face of the curve . Not every car just odd ones . It’s as if the couplings are allowing the next car into far

Jonny

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #2734 on: August 10, 2018, 11:29:54 pm »

Hi Jonny

I am on holiday at the moment but I have emailed Simon about this.

An intermittent and inconsistent fault is very hard to trace - he did suggest checking the back to backs on the trailer cars that derail as if slighltly out this might cause occasional derailing.

One option to try to isolate the problem is start with, say, a 5-car train and add one car at a time in its correct position until you notice a problem.  Pull the trouble car out and check that the coupler moves as it should, is correctly located and that the bogies on that car aren't binding, that the back-to-backs are right etc.

Simon will help if you want him to, or I think he said that Gareth at Rapido in Canada is trying to assist too.

Cheers

Ben A.

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #2735 on: August 11, 2018, 08:35:35 am »
There is a possibility this could happen if you are running dcc and havent tuned the chips to ensure both power cars run at the same speed?

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #2736 on: August 11, 2018, 08:43:06 am »
There is a possibility this could happen if you are running dcc and havent tuned the chips to ensure both power cars run at the same speed?

Yes this happens until they run in.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2737 on: August 11, 2018, 08:51:40 am »
Reminds me of the first time I ran my Blue Pullman over a section joint with no power on the next section.

First power car stopped instantly, the end one kept going....

The rest I leave to imagination.  :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #2738 on: August 11, 2018, 10:07:13 am »
think I will run my power cars in separately, yes still waiting for mine. long story they are sitting at my mothers waiting for me to pick them up in November;

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #2739 on: August 11, 2018, 10:18:23 am »
think I will run my power cars in separately, yes still waiting for mine. long story they are sitting at my mothers waiting for me to pick them up in November;

Back to back with one coach is best for running in.

Offline Jonny

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2740 on: August 11, 2018, 11:54:55 am »

The chips were tuned together as a matched pair . Then settings were changed to try to match for start up . Slow down speed and cons running. Both power cars were run i for over 45 min each way at 75%  on dc

Offline terrysoham

• N Gauge Society Number: 22528
    • Awards
Re: Pendolino - best way to couple and uncouple carriages.
« Reply #2741 on: August 12, 2018, 09:17:26 pm »
There must be a knack to coupling the Pendolino’s coaches together which I have not got.  In the same vein there must be a knack to uncoupling the coaches which I have not got.   I have not got either knack and I just know that I will damage a coupling- or perhaps even two!

How do you do this?  What is your preferred method? (No smutty answers please).

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:19:33 pm by terrysoham »
Terry Metcalfe
Ely and District Model Railway Club
Owner of Neely, modern N scale representation of Ely, available for exhibitions

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2742 on: August 12, 2018, 09:27:52 pm »
I find it best to have the ends slightly raised, bring the couplings together, and use my thumbnail on the bottom of the male coupling to guide it into the female coupling. Works for me.

For uncoupling, I just carefully pulled them apart.

Cheers, Timmo
There’s the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #2743 on: August 12, 2018, 09:29:55 pm »
Once they are coupled and uncoupled a few times they loosen and are easier to couple.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2744 on: August 13, 2018, 09:22:09 am »
Snowwolflair is right about the couplings when I tried them at T I N G S last year they just pushed together on the table without any problem .
I found if you just angled them slightly they couple easier at first and get better after a few times they are definitely better than the Brighton Belle system .
Bob Tidbury

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here