!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Poll

N gauge Pendolino

Yes I'd invest in a crowd sourcing venture for a 9 car N gauge Pendolino
62 (36.3%)
No I wouldn't
78 (45.6%)
I have voted on the RMWeb poll so cannot vote here
31 (18.1%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Author Topic: Pendolino - a new approach  (Read 287274 times)

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Rail
    • Awards
Re: Pendolino - a new approach
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2014, 10:35:50 am »
Not everyone has room for a full 2+8 HST or 9-car Pendolino, so it makes sense to offer smaller sets for those who may feel happy with a shorter formation.

There is also the subject of cost - many modellers these days are finding budgets getting squeezed from all directions, so may wish to build up a full rake gradually rather than in one big hit.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Rail
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarail.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2014, 03:31:07 pm »
Not everyone has room for a full 2+8 HST or 9-car Pendolino, so it makes sense to offer smaller sets for those who may feel happy with a shorter formation.

There is also the subject of cost - many modellers these days are finding budgets getting squeezed from all directions, so may wish to build up a full rake gradually rather than in one big hit.

This makes perfect sense - but for those of us who wouldn't be happy with a 2+2 HST (or similar) the full train should also be available - otherwise we may hold off getting the initial four car pack because of the uncertainty and hassle of finding the rest of the train!

Cheers  Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2014, 06:03:26 pm »

Hi all,

Just to be clear, this project is about funding production of all the different vehicles required for a full, correct 9-car Pendolino.  It will only proceed, and money will only be taken, if we receive enough pledges for us to reach this target.

There are smaller pledge points available for those who want to support the project but for whatever reason do not wish to pledge for the full £250, but realistically we need the majority of pledgers to go for the full amount if we're to stand any chance of succeeding.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2014, 01:30:47 pm »
Please can you include a driver in the cab of the Pendolino?
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2014, 01:53:36 pm »
That was one of the options we asked about in our survey - there hasn't been overwhelming demand for a driver in the cab (and which cab do you put it in?!?), though it would clearly be in the nice to have list.

Cheers, Mike

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2014, 07:37:28 am »
That was one of the options we asked about in our survey - there hasn't been overwhelming demand for a driver in the cab (and which cab do you put it in?!?), though it would clearly be in the nice to have list.

Cheers, Mike
It was a little while ago when I did the survey and can't remember the questions  :oopssign: I hope I answered yes to that question  :worried:  :help:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2014, 01:45:04 pm »
Hello all,

In the N Gauge Yahoo group a comment has been made suggesting that the N Gauge Pendolino is linked to the NGS.

Although Mike is the NGS Product Development Officer (Committee post) and I am an Honorary Vice President (non-committee post) I want to make it clear that this is NOT an N Gauge Society project - it's just Mike and I seeing a possibility and thinking it worth while trying to make it happen.

The NGS RTR projects are widely regarded as both a great service to members and a useful incentive to join, however they are a little constrained in that they need to be useful to as many NGS members as possible; this invariably means that the chosen prototype has to have been active during the BR steam/diesel transition period that a significant rump of the membership prefer.

A purely modern item such as the Pendolino would be very difficult for the NGS to justify - and it's because of scepticism within the trade about the size/viability of the market for OHLE models that I believe we need anyone remotely interested in this train to step forward when we go live with the Kickstarter page!

cheers

Ben A.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:46:46 pm by Ben A »

Offline roundhouse

• N Gauge Society Number: 20577
    • PhotoBucket
    • Model Rail South East
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2014, 05:16:51 pm »
Anyone wishing to pick up a leaflet, I will hAve some on Banbury at  the Farnham show this coming weekend
Modelling N scale  USA and UK

Offline Howlin`baz

• Awards
« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2014, 07:09:45 pm »
Hello all, :hellosign: :hellosign: :hellosign:

In the N Gauge Yahoo group a comment has been made suggesting that the N Gauge Pendolino is linked to the NGS.

Although Mike is the NGS Product Development Officer (Committee post) and I am an Honorary Vice President (non-committee post) I want to make it clear that this is NOT an N Gauge Society project - it's just Mike and I seeing a possibility and thinking it worth while trying to make it happen.

The NGS RTR projects are widely regarded as both a great service to members and a useful incentive to join, however they are a little constrained in that they need to be useful to as many NGS members as possible; this invariably means that the chosen prototype has to have been active during the BR steam/diesel transition period that a significant rump of the membership prefer.

A purely modern item such as the Pendolino would be very difficult for the NGS to justify - and it's because of scepticism within the trade about the size/viability of the market for OHLE models that I believe we need anyone remotely interested in this train to step forward when we go live with the Kickstarter page!

cheers

Ben A.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2014, 09:46:22 pm »
Were you meant to have made a comment about Ben's quote, Baz? :confused1:
I'm not entirely comfortable with being referred to as a significant rump :hmmm: ;)

Online woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2014, 11:50:56 pm »
If the pants fit Nobby............
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2014, 07:30:30 pm »

Hello all,

Good to see some great coverage in the model railway press for this project.  Thanks to Rail Express and British. Railway Modelling for their support - gives lie to the myth that the mags aren't interested in N!

We will be launching the Kickstarter phase of the campaign really soon, and this is when we need the support of *everyone* who wants a Pendolino. 

It's a great chance to show what modellers can achieve if they work together, and of course no  money will be taken unless we have enough pledges to reach our target to complete the project.

Getting 1000 people to commit is a tall order, and if you wait for others to take the strain I don't think we will make it.

Cheers

Ben A.

Online woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: November 07, 2014, 10:42:59 am »
In the MRE Mag Wishlist Poll published today almost 1 in 7 voters chose the Pendolino. 467 people voted in the N gauge section and 64 of these chose the Pendolino.

As Ben said it is going to be a tall order to get the commitment to 1000 models, so if you want one for yourself you probably need to recruit some more buyers too. I'll be picking up some flyers at Warley to distribute at a forthcoming meeting of railway people and I have been offered the chance to make a short presentation too.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:11:19 am by woodbury22uk »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2014, 12:27:03 pm »
Thanks Mike - interesting stuff.

We will have some exciting news on the Pendolino project hopefully by the middle of next week - we are just nailing down all the details and then we will let everyone know.

Cheers, Mike

Offline DJM Dave

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • DJModels Ltd
    • Awards
Pendolino - a new approach
« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2014, 12:02:52 pm »
It is with regret that I write to inform you all that unfortunately DJModels will not be the manufacturer and supplier of the mooted N gauge Pendolino project.

A third party has offered to produce 800 models for both Mr Hale and Mr Ando and as such they have agreed, at this late hour, to transfer manufacture and project management to China / Canada rather than keep it within the British Isles and China.

The production amount of 800 models is indeed a good one, and one, which would not have left DJModels with any wiggle room regarding VAT, import duty and shipping, plus bespoke packaging, spares etc and as such would not be financially viable for me over the short term despite DJModels having the ownership of the tooling thereafter, and the longevity of the hard steel tooling allowing DJM to produce this model every couple of years for many years to come.

It is a project I would dearly have loved the DJModels Ltd name to be attached to, and although I do not agree with their reasons for changing, I do understand that the smaller figure of 800 models will give the project a better chance of success.

Being an N gauge modeller myself, success can only be good for the hobby in general, and I would urge any modellers interested to support Mike and Ben in this venture to the best of their ability, as I know that these 2 can and will bring a magnificent iconic model to us all.

N gauge Model Railway locomotive and rolling stock manufacturer.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything