!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Custom made N scale 1:160 motorized chassis? Chassis conversions?  (Read 3840 times)

Offline JeremiahBunyan

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Hi,

I've added an intro about myself in the required sub-forum. I basically design and hope to make semi-custom models for the railways in Sri Lanka, India and The UAE. Whilst the UAE uses modified versions of the SD90 (IIRC) those models are easy to make using a KATO base. But the problem arises when it comes to models of the Indian and Sri Lankan railways. I need help regarding motorized chassis'.

All the models I plan on making are Co-Co locomotives built by ALCo and EMD. All of them are narrow body diesels i.e. similar to the Class 58, SD60/70/80/90. It's proved to be unfruitful using Google. So I was hoping in anyone of you'll here would be able to direct me to a supplier of custom made N gauge chassis. Hollywood Foundry only do HO and TT.

Anyhelp for custom made Co-Co motorized chassis for N (1:160) scale would be great. If there is no supplier then if any of you'll know where I can get regular chassis that is easy to modify then that would also suffice.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Jeff.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:27:04 pm by Jeremiah »

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
Re: Custom made N scale 1:148 motorized chassis? Chassis conversions?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 09:18:57 am »
Not sure if this is any use to you, but http://www.ebay.com/itm/201104927382

It is a Kato n gauge co-co chassis.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline JeremiahBunyan

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 09:29:52 am »
Not sure if this is any use to you, but http://www.ebay.com/itm/201104927382

It is a Kato n gauge co-co chassis.

Thanks.... Just having a look to see if it is easily modified. On the other hand your link to ebay was a good idea. Will have a look on ebay.

Thanks mate!
Jeff.

Offline NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 09:35:15 am »
Unless they have changed very recently, Hollywood Foundry do N Gauge motor bogies in many guises.

Offline JeremiahBunyan

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 12:44:19 pm »
Unless they have changed very recently, Hollywood Foundry do N Gauge motor bogies in many guises.

Hollywood Foundry make motor bogies (which due to space constraints are unsuitable. I need to have a centrally mounted motor with flywheels connected to the gear towers. All narrow body locos will suffer from this problem.

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 01:51:45 pm »
Indian Railways are mainly 5'6" gauge so you need 10.5mm track or 1:187 bodies. Given that I don't quite understand why you'd use a 1:148 chassis not a 1:160 chassis given you can get most of the correct bogies "off the shelf" in 1:160

The little Indian Railways modelling that occurs is mostly 1:100 scale (3mm) and uses HO track and mechanisms with 3mm scale body shells. That works well because the other gauges also come out reasonably when using 12mm and 9mm track. On the brighter side if you can build an WDM2/3A you've got most of the locomotives covered 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline JeremiahBunyan

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 02:10:14 pm »
Indian Railways are mainly 5'6" gauge so you need 10.5mm track or 1:187 bodies. Given that I don't quite understand why you'd use a 1:148 chassis not a 1:160 chassis given you can get most of the correct bogies "off the shelf" in 1:160

The little Indian Railways modelling that occurs is mostly 1:100 scale (3mm) and uses HO track and mechanisms with 3mm scale body shells. That works well because the other gauges also come out reasonably when using 12mm and 9mm track. On the brighter side if you can build an WDM2/3A you've got most of the locomotives covered 8)

Hi,
My initial plan was to make HO scale models on P4 track. The cost was too much for my customers. So I decided to go for N gauge. My initial post had a very silly mistake - I am doing 1:160 on 9mm/10.5mm track (not yet decided). As much as I like accuracy it must be kept in mind that India is very new to this hobby and those in it have mostly attained it from abroad. In 1:160 we have bogie frames for the WDM-2/3A, WAG-5HA, WAM-4 and WDS-6. Also the two different bogies used on coaches and freight wagons. We will use those spares for our models. So for now its 1:160 on 9mm finescale.

Sadly the WDM-2/3A in their original for are a dying breed taken over my modernized versions and EMDs. Even the newer ALCo locos are very different.

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 04:00:01 pm »
Might be worth talking to the guy who runs Linea Model. Looks like some quality engineering here and might be able to create something for you to meet your needs exactly.

http://www.lineamodel.it/benvenuti_in_lineamodel.htm
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline JeremiahBunyan

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 05:30:19 pm »
Might be worth talking to the guy who runs Linea Model. Looks like some quality engineering here and might be able to create something for you to meet your needs exactly.

http://www.lineamodel.it/benvenuti_in_lineamodel.htm

Thank you so much!!!

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 11:09:06 am »
mistake - I am doing 1:160 on 9mm/10.5mm track (not yet decided). As much as I like accuracy it must be kept in mind that India is very new to this hobby and those in it have mostly attained it from abroad. In 1:160 we have bogie frames for the WDM-2/3A, WAG-5HA, WAM-4 and WDS-6. Also the two different bogies used on coaches and freight wagons. We will use those spares for our models. So for now its 1:160 on 9mm finescale.

Kind of an odd choice to do it on finescale but 9mm if you want to keep the costs down, given that means special wheels etc to run on fiNe trackwork. Going to 1:187 actually sounds an interesting idea as it would bring some of the US wheels and bits more into the right size range, and reduce the cost for the 3D printing... interesting possibilities

..must stop planning to model too many things...

In 1:100 there are as I assume you know a collection of die cast static models of Indian Railways locomotives by Scale Arts including WDP4 and WDG 3A.

I also rather like the modelling of Rievlino Paswett

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rievlino/

which shows how much can be done with a printer, some existing model bits and necessity..

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline JeremiahBunyan

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 02:31:05 pm »
mistake - I am doing 1:160 on 9mm/10.5mm track (not yet decided). As much as I like accuracy it must be kept in mind that India is very new to this hobby and those in it have mostly attained it from abroad. In 1:160 we have bogie frames for the WDM-2/3A, WAG-5HA, WAM-4 and WDS-6. Also the two different bogies used on coaches and freight wagons. We will use those spares for our models. So for now its 1:160 on 9mm finescale.

Kind of an odd choice to do it on finescale but 9mm if you want to keep the costs down, given that means special wheels etc to run on fiNe trackwork. Going to 1:187 actually sounds an interesting idea as it would bring some of the US wheels and bits more into the right size range, and reduce the cost for the 3D printing... interesting possibilities

..must stop planning to model too many things...

In 1:100 there are as I assume you know a collection of die cast static models of Indian Railways locomotives by Scale Arts including WDP4 and WDG 3A.

I also rather like the modelling of Rievlino Paswett

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rievlino/

which shows how much can be done with a printer, some existing model bits and necessity..

Hi,

I was planning on using the finetrax range of points and flexitrack which is very good and suggested by many. RP25 wheels are not hard to come by so will be using those. At 1:160 our 3D printed samples are well within our budget.

Scale Arts has a range of static models that are probably more inaccurate than a child's drawing. The WDP-4/WDG-4 has literally nothing in common with the real thing and a waste of money. The WDG-3A is a lot better but still has some very in-excused mistakes IMHO.

Rievlino has the talent, the money and all the resources but fails sadly at actually putting them together and his unhelpful and argumentative attitude has kept many from buying anything from him as he charges a bomb for highly inaccurate models.

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Re: Custom made N scale 1:160 motorized chassis? Chassis conversions?
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 09:41:52 pm »
Tomix/Tomytec have a range of chassis available

http://www.japanmodelrailways.com/index.php/tomytec-produkte-english/tomytec-chassis-english

Plaza JApan are not too far away!!

Del Prado do a steamer - may give you inspiration ( or something to fill the Yards)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 09:47:34 pm by Railwaygun, Reason: url added »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 10:07:58 pm »
I was planning on using the finetrax range of points and flexitrack which is very good and suggested by many.

It is - I just wouldn't call it "finescale". No offence intended but "finescale" usually means fiNe (1:160) or 2mm (1:152) type trackwork (or scale 1:148 I guess now)

Offline JeremiahBunyan

• Awards
Re: Custom made N scale 1:160 motorized chassis? Chassis conversions?
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 11:34:25 am »
Tomix/Tomytec have a range of chassis available

http://www.japanmodelrailways.com/index.php/tomytec-produkte-english/tomytec-chassis-english

Plaza JApan are not too far away!!

Del Prado do a steamer - may give you inspiration ( or something to fill the Yards)

Idid have a look at Tomytec but no CoCo chassis available and seems to require alot of modifications.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything