!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Gone Nuclear  (Read 12377 times)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Gone Nuclear
« on: July 25, 2014, 08:43:26 pm »
So, after being inspired by PostModN66's thread on layouts for beginners and discussing some details elsewhere, I ordered some code-55 track towards the end of last week.

I decided to stick with the seafront look, though I'm modelling it more as an estuary or riverbank, with greenish-brown water. I know it isn't 100% authentic to have a nuclear flask terminal right by a cliff, but I wanted to try modelling water and to be honest making and painting cliffs is one of the only bits I think I'm good at!

The gantry is the Mill Lane Sidings heavy duty crane. Cost's about 18, but it's a really easy kit to build.

Looks great once in place. The paving around the tracks is DAS clay. Likewise the cliffs are plaster of paris via Woodland Scenics moulds, with DAS used to join cliff pieces together and to create little extras. So far these include a sort of derelict jetty thing and a little seal I've got elsewhere on the layout.

The Dapol 'bubble car' is made for a layout like this! Operating this layout has turned out to be very engaging. Moving the brake van from one end of the train to the other as well as the locomotive makes things more complicated than they look at first glance.

Added some foliage to the cliffs yesterday.

Today I've started with the tunnel mouths and station platforms, and done a little bit of ballasting (groan). Points will be activated using brass rods in copper tubes. I'm having the handles for these at the back of the layout, since I'm building this with exhibiting in mind, even if I never actually get round to doing that (or make it good enough to be worth exhibiting!).

Cheers, NeMo

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
Re: Gone Nuclear
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:48:33 pm »
looks good mate

nuclear power stations are near the sea normally anyway I think for water cooling

got any drs mk2a coaches?  how about drs 20s or 57s?

tim

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 09:29:07 pm »
Just loving those cliffs :heart2:

Offline BernardTPM

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3490
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:47:45 pm »
If you're modelling pre-2000 or so you should loose the number on top of the flask cover. Runner wagons (EWS and later DRS) were also used up to mid-2000s.

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 09:55:33 pm »
nuclear power stations are near the sea normally anyway I think for water cooling
My thinking, exactly! Certainly justifies a little bit of Rule 1, anyway!

got any drs mk2a coaches?  how about drs 20s or 57s?
Not yet. Would make the shunting difficult. The sidings are each about 30 cm long, easily enough for the 37, flask wagon and a Queen Mary brake. What's the normal formation for DRS when they're using the Mk2a coach?

Cheers, NeMo

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 09:57:11 pm »
Those cliffs are fantastic. I particularly like the little steps leading down to the sea.
Food for thought methinks !
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 10:06:56 pm »
Those cliffs are fantastic. I particularly like the little steps leading down to the sea.
I was quite pleased with them, too. But they are over scale. Each step would be about two feet tall! But I'm going to say that's deliberately playing with scale to make the cliffs look closer to the viewer than the trains!  :D

Cheers, Nemo

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 10:08:39 pm »
I second that, Martin. Truly excellent cliffs. The steps down to the jetty are a very nice touch. All that is missing is seagulls! I bought a LOT of cork bark to make the cliffs and part of the harbour restaurant island for Penmayne when I was planning it but have since had second thoughts about using cork bark. However, I may try a very small piece of cork bark on the coast of Cant Cove. However, these cliffs are nothing short of suberp. How were they painted, please?

Will you be using yacht varnish, like Martin did at Port Perran for the sea?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:10:09 pm by Chris in Prague »

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 10:09:15 pm »
I think that it is sometimes quite in order to play with scale a bit. I have a cricket pitch on Port Perran which is way, way too small but if it were to scale would be almost as big as the layout itself. So....modeller's license I call it !
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 10:16:50 pm »
How were they painted, please?
Grey car primer from a can! Then playing around with diluted acrylic paint for washes and dry brushing neat acrylic for highlights. Greens and browns near the water level to replicate tidal algae and such. One thing I have tried is using a mere spritz of white primer from just one end to highlight the rocks as if sunshine was coming that way. Seems to have worked.

Will you be using yacht varnish, like Martin did at Port Perran for the sea?
At the moment trying out Humbrol gloss varnish over green acrylic paint. Have just opened Port Perran in another window to have a look at the sea there. Not sure where to get yacht varnish in Berkhamsted!

Cheers, NeMo

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 10:39:29 pm »
B&Q sell yacht varnish. Should be on the shelf !
My Layouts -

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 09:13:41 am »
How were they painted, please?
Grey car primer from a can! Then playing around with diluted acrylic paint for washes and dry brushing neat acrylic for highlights. Greens and browns near the water level to replicate tidal algae and such. One thing I have tried is using a mere spritz of white primer from just one end to highlight the rocks as if sunshine was coming that way. Seems to have worked.

Cheers, NeMo

Thanks, NeMo. I've also used grey car primer from cans but had not thought about using it for cliffs. I would need to buy a selection of acrylic paints.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 09:27:59 am »
As others have said, those cliffs are superb, what did you use to model them?

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 09:45:44 am »
As others have said, those cliffs are superb, what did you use to model them?

Plaster of Paris as a cheap alternative to lightweight hydrocal, two different Woodland Scenics moulds, and lots of DAS air-drying clay. If you've not already seen it, there's a useful Woodland Scenics video on colouring rocks. Primer was used because it meant the red DAS clay and the white plaster all ended up the same colour before I started painting them. In the event I thought primer looked okay as it was, and simply did the washes and highlights on top of it!  :D

Cheers, NeMo

PS. DAS clay can be expensive (5-6 per 1 kg package) at some craft shops, but I got mine for 3.99 at The Works in Hemel.

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 10:03:26 am »
I wont say what I think of those cliffs because others have already said it.
The whole thing is going to look great if you carry on as you are  :thumbsup:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP