!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 143616 times)

Offline CarriageShed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #1290 on: June 13, 2017, 10:15:22 am »
And work starts in earnest on the next T9 - splasher tops and pipework painted, now on to the lining:

I'm loathe to be thought of as being in the rivet-counter camp, but in this case I might have to risk it. That doesn't seem to look much like Maunsell Green, especially not when comparing it to the previous T9...  :worried:

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #1291 on: June 13, 2017, 10:27:50 am »
The Union Mills T9 301 was painted in Malachite Green which is much brighter. Maunsell Green is more of an Olive colour
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1292 on: June 13, 2017, 10:34:56 am »
Pipped me to the post on that, Bob!

Never could get meself to like the Malachite green so delighted with the Olive version fettled so nicely in Gideon's excellent pictures.  :)

Some interesting T9 history on Wiki although not being anything like an expert, I couldn't promise the content was complete or 100% accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSWR_T9_class

Dave G

Online austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #1293 on: June 13, 2017, 10:43:21 am »

Never could get meself to like the Malachite green so delighted with the Olive version fettled so nicely in Gideon's excellent pictures.  :)

Some interesting T9 history on Wiki although not being anything like an expert, I couldn't promise the content was complete or 100% accurate.

Dave G
Just been reading that Dave. Looks like the T9 was only painted Malachite Green experimentally. Not even sure it was lined.
No matter, I beiieve this loco may be mine and is destined to have a name plate fitted 'Gemma' in memory of my greyhound Gemma who had to be put down last year.
So.. not too bothered about prototypical accuracy. I'm happy to let Gideon do his magic on it.

Hope you enjoy your T9 when it arrives.
 :) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Ozymandias

• N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1294 on: June 13, 2017, 10:48:33 am »

Dave G

Just been reading that Dave. Looks like the T9 was only painted Malachite Green experimentally. Not even sure it was lined.
No matter, I beiieve this loco may be mine and is destined to have a name plate fitted 'Gemma' in memory of my greyhound Gemma who had to be put down last year.
So.. not too bothered about prototypical accuracy. I'm happy to let Gideon do his magic on it.

This one is indeed yours, @austinbob ! :) Since we're not being strictly prototypical on this one, you have a choice of white or yellow lining... whichever you think would look better with the malachite green! :)
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Online austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #1295 on: June 13, 2017, 10:57:10 am »

Dave G

This one is indeed yours, @austinbob ! :) Since we're not being strictly prototypical on this one, you have a choice of white or yellow lining... whichever you think would look better with the malachite green! :)

Go for the yellow lining Gideon - I'm sure you'll be glad of the change in colour scheme after all those other T9's.
My railway (under construction) is a preserved railway so this T9 can be whatever it wants.

Bob Austin

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #1296 on: June 13, 2017, 11:47:50 am »
O e thing to remember, the UM model is only correct for some of the T9s numbered in the 300-338 series which were fitted with 6 wheel tenders from 1925, for details see

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/t9class_dat.html

The 300 series had wider cabs and splashers than all others and 8 wheel tenders when built, in LSWR days the narrow cab ones had 6 wheel tenders up to about 1902 then received 8 wheelers.

The same page linked above also has shed allocations for the class.

For a Watercart tender you could use the Langley S15 with Fleischmann tender drive (as in my sig below), or Worsley works do an etched body, but I've not found a suitable drive to fit, the Fleischmann one is too wide for the WW body
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #1297 on: June 13, 2017, 12:09:00 pm »
Thanks for the info Mike. My UM model is 301 which, in reality I believe, never had a 6 wheel tender and was never painted Malachite Green.
For my purpose it doesn't really matter. This is very much a one off special for me...

Bob Austin

Offline CarriageShed

• N Gauge Society Number: 24383
  • Beechinged 1981-2013
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • The History Files
    • Awards
« Reply #1298 on: June 13, 2017, 01:07:29 pm »
According to Bradley, the real 301 managed to avoid any kind of repainting, relining, or even relettering until it received BR lined livery at nationalisation. Still, since it was withdrawn in 1959, you've had plenty of time to get it restored in a heritage 'wrong livery' scheme ;)

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #1299 on: June 13, 2017, 01:07:57 pm »
Thanks for the info Mike. My UM model is 301 which, in reality I believe, never had a 6 wheel tender and was never painted Malachite Green.
For my purpose it doesn't really matter. This is very much a one off special for me...

That's what rule 1 is for ennit.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #1300 on: June 13, 2017, 01:12:52 pm »
 :)
According to Bradley, the real 301 managed to avoid any kind of repainting, relining, or even relettering until it received BR lined livery at nationalisation. Still, since it was withdrawn in 1959, you've had plenty of time to get it restored in a heritage 'wrong livery' scheme ;)
Exactly right...

Bob Austin

Online austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #1301 on: June 13, 2017, 01:14:05 pm »

That's what rule 1 is for ennit.
Got it in one....

Bob Austin

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #1302 on: June 13, 2017, 01:17:04 pm »
I do like the Jubilee in experimental green.

Can you tell us a bit about the paint and lining source please?

Offline Ozymandias

• N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1303 on: June 13, 2017, 02:06:29 pm »

Thanks! :)

I've done a couple of Jubes and a Patriot in this livery now and people seem to like them (even @paulprice after a little while!)  ;)

They really did appear in this colour - see proof!: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PHOTO-LMS-JUBILEE-CLASS-BR-No-45565-VICTORIA-IN-APPLE-GREEN-EX-WORKS-DERBY-1948-/222046342302

This is the exact loco I'm modelling at the moment.

The lining is all from Fox Transfers - splendid ladies and gents that they are - and the paint is simply Humbrol green gloss enamel (No.2) with a little yellow mixed in to lighten it and stop it being too "blue-y".
"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Online austinbob

• Awards
« Reply #1304 on: June 13, 2017, 02:33:08 pm »

Thanks! :)

I've done a couple of Jubes and a Patriot in this livery now and people seem to like them (even @paulprice after a little while!)  ;)

They really did appear in this colour - see proof!: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PHOTO-LMS-JUBILEE-CLASS-BR-No-45565-VICTORIA-IN-APPLE-GREEN-EX-WORKS-DERBY-1948-/222046342302

This is the exact loco I'm modelling at the moment.

The lining is all from Fox Transfers - splendid ladies and gents that they are - and the paint is simply Humbrol green gloss enamel (No.2) with a little yellow mixed in to lighten it and stop it being too "blue-y".

The Patriot looks great and is not quite as bright in real life as in some of the photos.
Here is a photo I posted a while back of the Patriot.

Its a beautiful looking loco. :) :beers:

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything