!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My new locomotive works...  (Read 31413 times)

Atso and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline R Marshall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
Re: My new locomotive works...
« Reply #450 on: September 12, 2018, 12:07:32 pm »
Steve - as ever another BRILLIANT model, you truly underestimate your work :)

Thank you Paul, it is kind of you to say so. For ever model that makes it off the bench, I think that there are always one or two more that didn't quite make it and need a rethink before they see fruition (if they ever do!).

Speaking of which, those with good memories may remember a few months/pages back I obtained a NQP Dapol Britannia and a NQP Dapol Grange in the hope that I might be able to combine the Britannia's wheels and the Grange's chassis to create the basis for an LNER C1 Atlantic. Unfortunately, Dapol didn't use the same size gear wheel for the driven axles of these two locos and also redesigned the axle so that they could not be swapped without modification (and risk of damaging the axles). Therefore the project was once again shelved.

Fast forward to June and I was lucky enough to arrange a swap of some locomotive bodies for chassis units with a 2mm fine scale modeller. Within that little lot was the remains of a Dapol Hall chassis. This went unnoticed due to various events that lead to another bout of depression and some other health issues.

Fast forward again to today. I spent quite a bit of time today measuring the Black Five chassis and transferring it into CAD to get the fixing points correct for the County. Yes, you would think that would have been the first thing I would have done but, when I started the project, I wasn't in the best frame of mind and this didn't occur to me for some reason - I almost got away with just measuring and transferring directly to the loco body too!

Anyway, after several hours of doing this, I'd just about lost the will to live and needed to do something else. While searching for that something else, I came across the remains of the Hall and the Britannia. Anyway, long story short, the Hall and the Britannia both use the same size of axle gear and therefore are compatible! I'll need to shim one or two of the gears in the gear chain to stop them disengaging but this is easy to do. Having proven that I could fit the Brit wheels, I found a very old C1 body that I designed awhile back - it also has several mistakes that I'd like to correct but is accurate in the major dimensions. Anyway, bluetacked onto the the chassis with a spare Farish bogie temporarily standing in, the C1 concept...

The Brit wheels are slightly too small for a C1 (but bigger than the Hall's wheels) and the Hall chassis is a scale two inches too long in the coupled wheelbase but I think it is close enough - due to how close together the coupled wheels are, I couldn't fit anything bigger anyway! The loco body will need to be completely redesigned to both correct mistakes and make it easier to fit properly on the Hall/Brit chassis. As I've got plenty of other things that I need to get through, I doubt this will progress for a few more months but I'm very happy that there maybe a way of making a close to scale C1 after all!

What a lovely model that Atlantic.

Imagine it in weathered BR Mixed Traffic lined black!

Heresy?

"Keep on keeping on" to quote the accomplished Mr Clapton.

Regards,

Roy

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #451 on: September 12, 2018, 10:03:38 pm »
Not heresy at all Roy and I think it would've suited the class very well. Unfortunately no member of the class received mix traffic black before withdrawal. The closest was the last survivor in revenue earning service which got buffed up and temporarily paired with a tender from a K2 (which was lined but the loco wasn't sadly) for its final few runs - the tenders were swapped back upon the C1s withdrawal. Therefore the closest to seeing a fully lined BR black C1 would have to be the H1 and H2 classes on the Southern region.

Offline R Marshall

• Awards
« Reply #452 on: September 12, 2018, 10:16:19 pm »
And those Southern Atlantics were very attractive too.

Oh for a Z/C7 !

Regards,

Roy

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #453 on: September 12, 2018, 10:26:27 pm »
And those Southern Atlantics were very attractive too.

Oh for a Z/C7 !

Regards,

Roy

The Southern Atlantics should have been attractive, they were built largely to GNR drawings so would have automatically gained a touch of class!  :smiley-laughing:

The C7 is also an attractive loco but, with the difficult (nightmarish to model and get to fit!) relationship between the cylinders, slide bars and valances, I won't be trying to tackle one as a 3D print I'm afraid.  :(

Offline R Marshall

• Awards
« Reply #454 on: September 13, 2018, 09:34:48 pm »
No, I understand the difficulty.

Atlantics are just such elegant beasts.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #455 on: September 18, 2018, 01:04:18 pm »
After a great start to last week, a few bits happened and I started feeling a bit low again so work on the County stopped for a little while and I did some other bits to get my mojo back. Anyway, today I did a virtual assembly of the model on the Black Five chassis (roughly drawn) and made a few amendments to the tender where the fit was going to be an issue.

I'm going to have to beef up the vacuum ejector pipe on the boiler side slightly so that it'll print properly with the handrail holes in it. Also, I've not yet looked at the chimney again as requested by Hailstone but I will be.  :)

Going back to the chassis I was hacking around a little while ago for the A5, I decided to wire it up and fit a motor. The gears are MOD0.2 (opposed to Farish's and Dapol's more usual MOD0.3), this has allowed me to fit a 40 tooth gear that I happened to have to the driven axle giving a nice reduction without having to resort to fitting a compound gear to get the reduction down. Considering its Heath Robinson construction, it runs surprisingly well with a spare Dapol B1 boiler mounted on top to provide some weight - video below.

Online Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #456 on: September 18, 2018, 01:13:43 pm »
After a great start to last week, a few bits happened and I started feeling a bit low again so work on the County stopped for a little while and I did some other bits to get my mojo back. Anyway, today I did a virtual assembly of the model on the Black Five chassis (roughly drawn) and made a few amendments to the tender where the fit was going to be an issue.

I'm going to have to beef up the vacuum ejector pipe on the boiler side slightly so that it'll print properly with the handrail holes in it. Also, I've not yet looked at the chimney again as requested by Hailstone but I will be.  :)

Going back to the chassis I was hacking around a little while ago for the A5, I decided to wire it up and fit a motor. The gears are MOD0.2 (opposed to Farish's and Dapol's more usual MOD0.3), this has allowed me to fit a 40 tooth gear that I happened to have to the driven axle giving a nice reduction without having to resort to fitting a compound gear to get the reduction down. Considering its Heath Robinson construction, it runs surprisingly well with a spare Dapol B1 boiler mounted on top to provide some weight - video below.

Hi Steve

Great work on the County, I reckon it must be getting close to another test print fairly soon?

As to the video, it looks an interesting prototype, I'm sure I saw one just like it at Quainton on Sunday!!! It runs like the proverbial Swiss watch, absolutely amazing work..

Roy

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #457 on: September 18, 2018, 01:19:42 pm »
Hi Steve

Great work on the County, I reckon it must be getting close to another test print fairly soon?

As to the video, it looks an interesting prototype, I'm sure I saw one just like it at Quainton on Sunday!!! It runs like the proverbial Swiss watch, absolutely amazing work..

Thanks Roy,

I'm hoping that I'll be able to finish the County and get it sent to Shapeways for a proper proving model soon! It'll certainly be good to get the CAD work on this one out of the way as it's not been the easiest thing to design.

I'm really please with how the A5 chassis hack is turning out. I've got to do some trimming of the chassis block to get the ride height of the body correct and then figure out how I'm going to hang the bogie and pony onto it (fitting additional pickups to at least on of these). It's certainly a long term project that'll be fitted in every now and then around other bits.

Offline carlwooduk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9368
    • Awards
« Reply #458 on: September 18, 2018, 10:00:31 pm »
Steve, your tenacity to get the best possible body for the county continues to amaze me, i was happy with the first print so with another set of tweaks it must be tantalisingly close to sign off. It will be light years ahead of the venerable white metal kits from the 80s. I am so looking forward to seeing the final iteration. Carl

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #459 on: Yesterday at 12:13:11 am »
Steve, your tenacity to get the best possible body for the county continues to amaze me, i was happy with the first print so with another set of tweaks it must be tantalisingly close to sign off. It will be light years ahead of the venerable white metal kits from the 80s. I am so looking forward to seeing the final iteration. Carl

As am I, as soon as you are happy with it, I will be after one

Regards,

Alex

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #460 on: Yesterday at 11:31:38 am »
Thanks Carl and Alex,

I do like to try and get as much as possible done to my satisfaction as possible before I sign something off for printing. However, errors do creep in from time to time that need to be corrected at the earliest possible time - sometimes some silly ones as illustrated below.

Above is the Shapeways printed body for the A5/2 4-6-2 tank engine (the chassis for which is in the video above). Now there is nothing wrong with the body and it is accurate to the (very detailed and fully dimensioned) Isinglass drawings I purchased. The mistake is that for my own chosen loco '5007' it is from the wrong production batch and has several differences most notably a completely different set of cab spectacles and roof profile! I'll redo the A5 CAD at some point but I need to save up and get the correct drawings first - I'm kicking myself for this one as it should have been obvious right from the start!  :veryangry: :censored: :veryangry:

Proof that mistakes can occasionally happen and it pays to check, check and check again to try and ensure as much is right as possible before committing to a 'production print'. Luckily, for the County, I've had several knowledgeable people look over the work (thanks to both Carl and Alex as well as others), who have also provided many photographs and identified some great reference books, so I'm getting pretty confident that this is getting close to the point where I can green light a Shapeways print.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #461 on: Yesterday at 12:03:36 pm »
The mistake is that for my own chosen loco '5007' it is from the wrong production batch and has several differences most notably a completely different set of cab spectacles and roof profile! I'll redo the A5 CAD at some point but I need to save up and get the correct drawings first - I'm kicking myself for this one as it should have been obvious right from the start!  :veryangry: :censored: :veryangry:

Why not just change the running number to one suitable for this version?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #462 on: Yesterday at 12:36:41 pm »
I did look into that Alan but I found that non of that sub-class ever ran in the Kings Cross district; 5007 was one of a handful that had a regular turn out of Kings Cross for many years. I could just accept it and have it as a 'funny 'train' (I do have a couple of those) but why do that when I can get it correct. Still the existing body allows me to assess how I'm going to mount the body to the chassis so that I can make life a little easier when I have the time and money to redesign and reprint it.

Offline R Marshall

• Awards
« Reply #463 on: Yesterday at 09:01:32 pm »
So I presume it's right for North Eastern Region?

Need anyone to take it off your hands (for a reasonable price, of course)?

Regards,

Roy

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #464 on: Yesterday at 09:38:17 pm »
'Reasonable price' is always an interesting choice of phrase...  :smiley-laughing:

Drop me a PM please.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
September Donations

Advertise Here