!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Changing Peco wheels  (Read 139 times)

Offline rhysapthomas

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Changing Peco wheels
« on: August 03, 2018, 10:47:16 am »
Hi

I am looking to change a wheel set on a Peco guards van with a view to adding lights and pickups.

I have compared the dimensions with a farish wheel set with metal wheels (the coach wheels sold seperatly?)from a truck

Axle        Back to back       Outside of wheel set          Wagon spacing between sides
Farish         15.2           7.35                    11.37                                      13.68

Peco           14.69         7.51                    11.57                                      13.02

Looking at the shape of the axle the Farish has a much longer point

My question is would be better to file down the Farish axles by .3mm per side rather than what seems the conventional idea of reaming out the peco wagon holes?  As this would make it easier to insert the Farish axle in the peco chassis

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Changing Peco wheels
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 11:07:55 am »
A very interesting idea!

I wonder why, though.... wouldn't it be easier to just use a Farish brake van?

Anyway, there are several threads here on fitting lights to coaches and brake vans. Indeed, moderator Caz has posted on this very subject   :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline crepello

• N Gauge Society Number: 3956
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 11:27:21 am »
The Farish brakes are much better than the Peco brake van--I'd do as suggested; alternatively, Romford wheels (Parkside through Peco) are a direct replacement in Peco wagons.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 12:40:08 pm »
There are kits/sets available to add a tail light powered by a button battery.  To be honest I think that's a better idea; no pickup drag, the light stays on when stationary (on DC), the battery will last for months
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline rhysapthomas

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 01:12:01 pm »
Thanks everybody

I am not worried by the electronic side i can manage that i am planning some kind of remote control to turn the light on and off, I also want train on track detection.  The peco wagon was choosen as a cost saving at 1/3 the Parish price and i intend to heavily weather it.  I was more concerned about fitting the light so if i mess that up it is only a cheaper wagon.  Also the Farish vans have different wheel sets which will be more difficult to pick up from with just metal edges.

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 02:49:37 pm »
My question is would be better to file down the Farish axles by .3mm per side rather than what seems the conventional idea of reaming out the peco wagon holes?  As this would make it easier to insert the Farish axle in the peco chassis

FWIW I a while back re-wheeled a bunch of Peco, Lima (!) and older Farish wagons with current Farish wagon sets, the "reaming" was in most cases just a couple of twists of a (IIRC) 0.5mm bit in the axle hole, and usually a couple of twists back to remove the resulting spirally bit of plastic. Personally I have more confidence in getting that right than messing about with filing down the axle pinpoints, YMMV.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline rhysapthomas

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 02:58:47 pm »

FWIW I a while back re-wheeled a bunch of Peco, Lima (!) and older Farish wagons with current Farish wagon sets, the "reaming" was in most cases just a couple of twists of a (IIRC) 0.5mm bit in the axle hole, and usually a couple of twists back to remove the resulting spirally bit of plastic. Personally I have more confidence in getting that right than messing about with filing down the axle pinpoints, YMMV.
[/quote]

Yes i must say that sounds simpler what i wondered about was forcing the longer axle past the frame as it seemed very tight not the hole but the frame itself

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything