!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mils quality.  (Read 7635 times)

Offline Plainline.

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Union Mils quality.
« on: May 11, 2014, 10:14:31 pm »
Test run my Union Mills Adams 0395 today. It ran smoothly straight from the box. They might not be as detailed as other manufacturers but they are well made, powerful and built to last. Saving for my next one already!

Offline longbridge

• Awards
Re: Union Mils quality.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 01:01:00 am »
Well done, reliability is paramount with model trains and UM hit the mark.

With regard to detail, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and as I am a beholder myself I think they look just great  :thumbsup: never was interested in bits of plastic hanging of locos anyway, they may represent something but to me they are still bits of plastic  :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Agrippa

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:05:46 am »
I concur , my T9 is a great little loco, trying to think of an excuse to get the crimson
Prince of Wales!
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Offline scottmitchell74

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 02:20:33 am »
I like the two I have, which includes the crimson Prince of Wales. I can give it my recommendation. They are better looking in person than in a photo.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline Plainline.

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 05:16:59 am »
Totally agree about there level of detail. They look fine to me. I think they have a robust heavy look which to my eyes gives them a level of realism. Next one for me will hopefully be a J39.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 10:06:42 am »
Totally agree about there level of detail. They look fine to me. I think they have a robust heavy look which to my eyes gives them a level of realism. Next one for me will hopefully be a J39.

Interesting to see a new thread on this. Colin Heard has a loyal following of customers and this has been the case for many years. In my case in about 1997 it was his J39 with the new quieter mechanism (than the first one he did) that re-kindled my own interest in N and kept it alive during those now almost forgotten times when Bachmann moved production to China, when we saw few new products and Dapol had not even entered the fray.

I am still a fan and while I do not buy each new release I have a fair number and the D16/3 will be a "must have".

In my humble opinion they do have their place and the key attributes are rightly shown above. They can be super-detailed, even a few little tweaks can improve matters. I tend to blacken the wheel rims with a permanent marker and dull down the rods in the same way. I also shorten the wire between the loco and tender right back so that there is no loop of wire in the cab. For me this is a dreadful feature that just grates. Adding glazing (I use Kristal Klear)  lamps, a crew and real coal to the tender adds even more. Indeed Colin Heard encourages people to make his locos "your own" in this way.

Where I depart from the views above is to accept this as a suitable general standard. If we take the J39 as an example, it does not appear in any of his lists and hasn't for some time. I would conclude that the very good reason for this is that he knew the Farish model was coming and wisely bowed to it.  Unless one looks through rose coloured glasses, in every single respect apart from (probably) outright haulage the recently released Farish one is way superior. My humble suggestion is that unless you can find one second hand (and do not want to pay Mr "Antiquetoys" ebay prices for the UM one - he has some) you try a Farish one.

The real plus for me of Union Mills locos is that he has given us a range of N Gauge locos (many pre-Grouping) that no mainstream manufacturer would go near. This gives a range of locos that includes some like the D20 and J38 (just two examples) that aren't even available to our 00 colleagues. I would certainly snap up another J38 if he did some more BR ones. This one is unlikely to be touched by the "big boys" as they were largely based in Scotland and there were only 30 of them.

I am very happy to see Union Mills locos available alongside the Farish and Dapol offerings but I do not see them as the general standard that should be aspired to. For me that remains such exquisite models as the above mentioned J39 and the arguably even more exquisite little Ivatt 2-6-0 which with it's level of detail, super smooth mech with coreless motor and DCC capability is truly "state of the art" and what the mainstream manufacturers should continue to aspire to better.
Regards

Roy

Offline Agrippa

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:18:22 am »
A fair summing up of UM v Farish and Dapol.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 10:51:27 am »
I'm firmly in the UM supporters club, I have 8 plus I have 4 of his tender drives behind various kits and scartch built locos.

I do a bit of detailing, slim down the coupling rods on a few, add vac pipes and lamp irons, however brake gear is too fiddly to make and fit.

My only "major" hack was the T9, converted from wide to narrow cab and 8 wheel tender as in my sig below.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Plainline.

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 03:00:32 pm »
I have a recent list and the J39 is listed so I'm hoping it is still available. Like the idea of using permanent marker to blacken wheel rims, motion etc.

Regards Alan.

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 03:33:25 pm »
I have a recent list and the J39 is listed so I'm hoping it is still available. Like the idea of using permanent marker to blacken wheel rims, motion etc.

Regards Alan.

Hi Alan

Is it?

It hasn't been listed in his recent ads in the N Gauge Journal or anywhere else as far as I can recall.

Can you confirm how recent your list it and if it is bang up to date is he by any chance listing a BR J38 now too? (I hope he is, thought I'd missed the boat there).

My suggestions for detailing merely scratches the surface of what is possible, some of Dr Al's work detailing these locos with wire handrails etc is truly awesome.

If he can't supply you, and you want I still do recommend you take a look at the Farish model, it really is a superb model straight from the box.

Regards

Roy

Offline Plainline.

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 07:19:57 pm »
Hi Roy, the list is bang up to date, it was supplied with my Adams loco last week. I've phoned him and ordered j39 whilst they are in stock. Checked list and he has J38 in BR black (No 65929) listed. All models on list were in stock on the7th May. So I think you are in luck.

Regards Alan.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 07:55:31 pm »
I concur , my T9 is a great little loco

That's good to hear. When I (eventually) expand Port Perran into "North Cornwall" I will be looking at buying a T9.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Roy L S

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 08:09:33 pm »
Hi Roy, the list is bang up to date, it was supplied with my Adams loco last week. I've phoned him and ordered j39 whilst they are in stock. Checked list and he has J38 in BR black (No 65929) listed. All models on list were in stock on the7th May. So I think you are in luck.

Regards Alan.

Hi Alan

Great news, thank you, I shall be calling him tomorrow!

Regards

Roy
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:10:54 pm by Roy L S, Reason: Missed a letter off! »

Offline painbrook

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 10:33:24 pm »
Not sure if it has been mentioned before but Colin's new/next loco is a 'Super Claud' 16/3. Available in LNER green and BR livery. Should be available/ready around August. To quote Colin 'Expressions of interest are being accepted now',,,,go on you know you want to ;). 01624 852896. Cheers john.

Offline alibuchan

• My page on shapeways
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 09:22:22 am »
Is there any chance someone can scan or take some photos of the list and send it to me please I think an order may well be on the horizon in the next couple of weeks and I can find mine.

If you could pm me and I will give you my email address.

Cheers

Alistair

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything