Peco and Farish rolling stock coupling issues

Started by ngaugeaidy, April 23, 2014, 04:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ngaugeaidy

Hi
Not sure if this is in the right bit,hope so.

Odd Question,thought I would throw It in for some ideas.

I have a fair collection of rolling stock items,well over 70 pcs. Mix of Poole and Bachmann Farish. With and without spring couplings. And Peco.  My question Is. Does anyone have running issue when both are run together in the Same train. Sort of like bouncy. Not track issues. The Peco ones just seem so lightweight.

Is it just me :help:

Cheers Aidy

jonclox

Quote from: ngaugeaidy on April 23, 2014, 04:08:15 PM
Hi
Not sure if this is in the right bit,hope so.

Odd Question,thought I would throw It in for some ideas.

I have a fair collection of rolling stock items,well over 70 pcs. Mix of Poole and Bachmann Farish. With and without spring couplings. And Peco.  My question Is. Does anyone have running issue when both are run together in the Same train. Sort of like bouncy. Not track issues. The Peco ones just seem so lightweight.

Is it just me :help:

Cheers Aidy

I think my mixture is probably much the same as yours but most wagons  (if not all) have been weighted a fraction with a scrap of something heavyish. I guess to some extent that puts more pressure on the couplings and keeps them holding together

John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

ngaugeaidy

:thankyousign:

Many thanks for advice. Was worried it was just me. Phew  :thumbsup:

Cheers Aidy

oreamnos

In my experience the Peco unsprung coupler works well but because they are free floating in the draw box and made out of light polysterene plastic they do have more of a tendency to bounce up and down and uncouple by themselves more than sprung couplers.

I have not attached Elsie uncoupling bits to any of my Peco stock, but I should think that their extra weight would significantly mitigate the bouncy-ness of the couplers.

Matt

Bealman

It is not you, Aidy. I too, have a similar collection of Peco and Poole Farish stock, and they have never really been happy together. The Peco wagons are extremely light with unsprung couplings, but I always favoured them over the Farish stuff because of their black plastic wheels - I always thought that the metal wheels on the Farish stuff made them look coarse compared to the Peco wagons.

But hey, that's just me.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Trev

I've taken the roofs off of some of my Peco and filled the void with plasticine to add weight.  it helps reduce the situation of chasing a wagon down the track trying to couple.
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

cjdodd

Some people also use this stuff called tacky wax I think it is, you add a bit to the coupler and it gives them a bit of stick so they don't uncouple while being used.

I keep meaning to try and track some done, perhaps someone can post a link if they use it.

Oldun

Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Bealman

OK for fixed rakes, I guess, but impractical for shunting the odd wagon, surely?  ???

ColinH

My wife uses tacky wax for fixing things to the walls in her doll houses but you need to be aware that it will melt in direct sunlight and if temperatures get too high so not a permanent fix by any means.
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

oscar

Good for placing people on stations etc., as you can move them around now and again for a bit of variety.

Newportnobby

Quote from: ColinH on April 28, 2014, 06:46:45 PM
My wife uses tacky wax for fixing things to the walls in her doll houses but you need to be aware that it will melt in direct sunlight and if temperatures get too high so not a permanent fix by any means.

Any chance you could quantify 'high temperature' please, Colin.
My layout is in a conservatory and although there is no direct sunlight it can get somewhat warm, to say the least :sweat:

ColinH

Afraid not NPN but would think anything over 30oC would compromise it. My wife uses a Deluxe Materials Tacky Wax. However, as she says it may be different if the thing being held is in the horizontal plane and has nowhere to fall rather than the pictures etc she hangs on the wall.

Still worth a try though.
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

Bealman

I think my 23 year old daughter had a similar product applied to her arms and legs this morning  :uneasy:

Sprintex

Quote from: Bealman on April 29, 2014, 08:26:17 AM
I think my 23 year old daughter had a similar product applied to her arms and legs this morning  :uneasy:

Shouldn't she be using a proper hair removal wax? :D

Back to the topic (as opposed to the topical ;) ). Don't really get any decoupling issues with my Farish and Dapol stock, but I can remember the frustration of dividing freight trains years ago with a mix of wagons, particularly Peco coal trucks. The unsprung couplings makes sense now as if they were marginally higher than the next wagon you could guarantee it would uncouple eventually - spent ages rearranging wagons so couplings were the same height! ::)

Paul

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations