!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Slow Running  (Read 1687 times)

Offline marinerno9

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Slow Running
« on: April 15, 2014, 05:13:39 pm »
Last year I finally got round to starting a layout. As I have arthritis I decided to use Kato track & bought a starter set which came with their own controller. Since then I have bought Farish & Dapol Diesels & DMU/EMU & all work fine (the power needs to be cranked up a bit for the Dapol class 52 but it runs smoothly)

I had one bad experience with a steam loco, the Farish 4mt, and have been put off buying steam locos by some of the reviews on this site (the recent Farish Fairburn being a good example)

Having looked at the threads & comments on the Union Mills section I ordered one of their locos (LNER B12) and by and large have been most impressed. I notice comments on the threads about these engines working well at slow speeds and wondered if anyone could provide a bit of guidance. I  have to turn the controller up quite a bit for the engine to start & when I run it at what I consider a decent cruising speed it,s fine. However, when approaching the station if I try to slow it down gradually once it gets down to the speed it started at it begins to judder & even stops. I know these models are heavy & wonder if by slowing it down the motor isn't getting enough power to keep running smoothly. When stopping the engine I have to brake late & stop it quickly.

It's more realistic to slow the train to a very slow speed when entering a station but my engine doesn't let me do this. Am not sure if I have a problem with my model, if this is usual for Union Mills then I can live with it but am interested to see if others can slow their models to very slow speeds. The Kato controller seems to have a good reputation & I have today cleaned the track. Any guidance will be much appreciated.

George

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Slow Running
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:58:39 pm »
Do you clean your track regularly as the condition of your track will have a big effect on running any locomotive.

Have you run in your locomotives enough, they may need further running in before getting smooth running.

cheers John.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 06:13:31 pm »
another problem can be over-oiling, oil is not such a good conductor of electricity.

The UM loco wheels pick up from one rail, the tender from the other rail, there are no contact strips like you find on Farish and other makes, the "pick up" wheels pass the current to the axle, which passes it on to the chassis if the groove in the chassis that the axle runs in has any oil on it that could cause a problem.

I get exfellent slow running from a home made controller, my best slow run was 5 minutes for 12 inches by a Dapol B1, most other locos with clean wheels can do better than 2 minutes for the 12" - even Poole Farish.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline oreamnos

• N Gauge Society Number: 17217
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:22:43 pm »
What you seem to be describing is in my experience pretty typical UM loco performance.  I have 14 of them (includind a BR B12), all of them models of different prototypes.  They all require more power to get them going than is required to keep them going.  Once going they will run smoothly down to a pace that I consider to be very slow but many other steam locos I have from other manufacturers (even some Poole Farish ones) will run smoothly even slower and a lot of those will creep sleeper to sleeper using the same track and controller.

Once I throttle down below that minimum pace on my UM locos they all exhibit the judder and stop behavior that you describe.  I cannot get any of them to creep slower and slower to a stop.  This has never bothered me as I am more interested in continous running of prototypical length trains at prototypical speeds without making station stops and the UM locos do that faultlessly.

Matt
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:24:25 pm by oreamnos »

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:15:36 am »
The UM motor is a 3 pole unit that is high revving. The description you give is fairly typical of performance, though some individual motors are more sticky than others (likely due to variations in the magnetic field strength).

I've changed the motors in most of my UM locos to Mashima 1015s - this motor is identical physical dimensions (drive shaft is larger diameter, so worms need opened out), but is a 5 pole unit and runs much better at low revs and the locos can then crawl superbly. The only down side is the top speed of the loco is reduced, but still more than a scale top speed, so this doesn't bother me - it means you use a much bigger range of your control knob, which will also give better control.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline marinerno9

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 10:47:56 am »
Thanks for the replies & helpful comments.

I'll look into the issues highlighted but can live with it ok as I have a continuous run & only need to stop it at the station or fiddle yard. A slow crawl would have been nice but it's not the end of the world.

George

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here