!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New Farish Deltic  (Read 18136 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: New Farish Deltic
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2014, 09:31:39 pm »

Thats when a rolling road and cheap DC controller can come in handy.

As Paul says - a short length of track powered by a cheap controller (such as those from Farish starter sets) and an N gauge rolling road and you can run something in next to you whilst on the forum :thumbsup:

Offline richie894

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2014, 09:43:52 pm »
I guess one could also plug a cheap DC transformer into the existing DCC layout track. Obviously making sure any DCC locos are removed from the track first.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2014, 10:12:39 pm »
The best point of a rolling road is you can set it up and keep an eye on it wherever you are, so you can watch the footie/tennis/golf/MotoGP/F1/Tour de France* etc on the telly with it by your side :)

* Delete as appropriate

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2014, 10:35:35 pm »
I saw at DEMU a guy selling them for about 30 pretty good eh!

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2014, 10:49:00 pm »

As Paul says - a short length of track powered by a cheap controller (such as those from Farish starter sets) and an N gauge rolling road and you can run something in next to you whilst on the forum :thumbsup:

That's exactly what I'm doing now newportnobby, and what I usually do when I'm posting on the forum. I bought my rolling road from Gaugemaster. I originally wanted one of those "all singing, all dancing" types, you know, the one which Gaugemaster used to make, which was a built in controller, ammeter, rolling road, coffee machine, dishwasher ... ok, ok, I'm getting carried away, but you know the one I mean. Anyway, I read that they were not so good after all, and that coupled with the fact that they don't make them anymore, I simply bought the DCC concepts rolling road, which you simply place on your track. Comes in a small box - perfect for me to bring back home to the UAE (unlike the dishwashing type!) Bought it from Gaugemaster and very happy with it. Was a bit on the pricey side (almost 60 quid if I remember correctly) but it's the thing I use most. I only have a small shelf layout, but my main interest is in servicing, fixing and tinkering with Poole stock. Obviously I cannot run it in on such a small end-to-end layout.

Those of you that have seen them for 30 quid, I say go for it! Mine came with six pieces, i.e. you can place six wheels under it. That's more than enough for anything I've got.

Now, I like the idea of a small piece of track set up on the coffee table next to the tv. Shame I don't have any spare track out here, and by the time I get some, the World Cup will be over! I tend to pop out of the spare room, leaving the diesels running in, whilst I'm watching the footie. Important thing is not to forget they're running!

Cheers

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2014, 09:20:02 am »

Offline mr bachmann

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2014, 03:55:32 pm »
They are always recommended to be run in on DC before putting a chip in...

Running in tends to give a loco superb control over movement at slow speeds...

may i ask the big question , what if a new loco is purchased already fitted for DCC from the factory , as i notice a lot of manufacturers are doing these days ?
it looks like trains are going the same way as the motor industry - just buy it and use it .

alan

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2014, 03:57:26 pm »
Good point... If I receive one with a chip I always take it out, run it in on DC and then pop the chip back in.  Its quite obviously never going to have been run in at the factory..

I purchased a 58 off ebay last week as a shop return non runner.. was pretty surprised when I opened it to find it had a DCC chip in ... stupidity is my gain etc.... Brand new never run just in a non DCC box so the shop didn't even take the body off to have a look.  My sprog read the chip and it worked brilliantly.... so out came chip and ran it in on DC :D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:00:39 pm by Only Me »

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2014, 03:58:04 pm »
Good point mr Bachmann. See the thread on "Bachmann and Dapol - Good or Bad" - I'm trying to make that exact same point. See the last page or two.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2014, 04:31:56 pm »
may i ask the big question , what if a new loco is purchased already fitted for DCC from the factory , as i notice a lot of manufacturers are doing these days ?
it looks like trains are going the same way as the motor industry - just buy it and use it .

alan

With DCC fitted locos I just run them on 12v DC.  No need to remove the chip, just put it on the track and let it go with a nice, long gentle running in session in every possible direction.

Offline 47033

• N Gauge Society Number: 23722
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2014, 03:17:18 am »
I will be making a call to Hattons tomorrow about returning my Deltic. Unfortunately none of the lights work In one direction ( I would have accepted that) and in the same direction only and at between 1/2 and 3/4 power it sounds like one bogie/driveshaft is making a weird dragging noise. It's fine under 1/2 power and over 3/4 power. It's also fine in the other direction at all power levels.   Shame.

On the upside the wife was away this weekend so I setup the oval of track on the kitchen countertop, opened a beer and ran in 11 loco's this weekend.

Jamie
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:30:47 am by 47033 »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2014, 03:31:58 am »
Only the headcode lights up in the forward direction, but the dragging noise you can do without.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline 47033

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2014, 03:55:59 am »
When it's running the headlights light up facing the direction of travel and red tail lights on the other end. Neither are working in one direction. Both are working in the other. Still, the grinding noise means it's going back, sadly.

Jamie

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2014, 04:05:49 am »
Yes, I don't blame you. Are you going to risk another, or ask for a refund?

I purchased one on my recent visit to the UK and it seemed to run fine at the Wigan show (one of our forum members and an exhibitor kindly let me run it on his layout), but there was a lot of background noise. It hasn't been out of the box since I got it home, so fingers crossed!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline 47033

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2014, 04:41:15 am »
Oh I'll definitely have them send me another one. It's a beautiful model and I will no doubt be getting another in the future. Although I will probably wait a year or 2 for them to bring out a different numbered one. I already have the older 55008.

Jamie

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here