!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Guidance Requested when Chipping Multiple Units  (Read 8933 times)

Offline steve836

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22948
    • Awards
Re: Guidance Requested when Chipping Multiple Units
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2016, 10:26:55 pm »
Worth noting that there is the occasional multiple unit (think the Farish 350 is one - not sure if there are others) where the motor is in one of the intermediate cars, so three chips are needed!

Strewth! I'm died in the wool analogue merchant who has been asked to introduce DCC into the layout at the school where I work. It occurs to me that it would be easier to link the wiring on a multiple unit so that one only needs one chip and have that control the whole thing or am I like that east London borough( Barking)?
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Offline Sparks

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2016, 10:52:08 pm »
Worth noting that there is the occasional multiple unit (think the Farish 350 is one - not sure if there are others) where the motor is in one of the intermediate cars, so three chips are needed!

Strewth! I'm died in the wool analogue merchant who has been asked to introduce DCC into the layout at the school where I work. It occurs to me that it would be easier to link the wiring on a multiple unit so that one only needs one chip and have that control the whole thing or am I like that east London borough( Barking)?

If only it were that simple !!   It's bad enough with HST's needing 2 decoders,  but at least they put the motor in one of the end engines.   Why they have the motor in the centre of the 4 car EMU I don't know,  but basically you need one for the motor control - in one middle coach,  and the other two are just for the directional lights -  both end coaches.  (luckily these can be a cheaper chip).

Offline REGP

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19246
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2016, 11:01:10 pm »

Careful Steve or Sparks could fly, just check where I come from and who started the thread.

In my own humble opinion fitting 2 chips would be easier than wiring the coaches together. Because you would probably have fit some electrical gubbins in as well to control colour of lights.

Ray

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2016, 07:18:04 am »

For an owner, wiring them together is an option, though it does need electrical wires over the join, and thus the multiple unit becomes a bigger unit to handle.  Or it needs plug/socket arrangements (can be done).   One wire per lighting function, so for head/tail lights its two wires over the coupling (the common positive comes from a track pickup).

For a manufacturer, much simpler to fit multiple sockets unless they can design a coupler which can carry the electrics around.  They have provided such couplers in OO, so maybe they will eventually appear in N. 

- Nigel

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2016, 09:02:38 am »
For a manufacturer, much simpler to fit multiple sockets unless they can design a coupler which can carry the electrics around.  They have provided such couplers in OO, so maybe they will eventually appear in N. 

- Nigel

Maybe? Erm, the words 'Revolution' and 'Pendolino' come to mind ;)

Paul

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • NGS Product Development Officer
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2016, 11:14:16 am »
The Pendo coupler doesn't carry a DCC signal (unfortunately) just power so it doesn't prevent the need for two chips.

Piko have done it in N on at least one 2-car EMU...

Cheers, Mike

Offline DCCDave

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2016, 11:43:49 am »
Does it need to?

I think if the wires come fron the function outputs on the decoder then the feed is DC

Cheers
Dave

Offline Sprintex

• N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2016, 11:58:34 am »
It DOES carry the supply for the lighting though which is what was under discussion ;)

Paul

Offline Unclealbo

• N Gauge Society Number: 25971
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2016, 12:05:02 pm »
If you have gone to the expense of a DCC ready DMU, then the extra cost of a function only cheaper chip in the dummy (or dummies) seems a no brainer compared to the hassle of running inter coach wiring with or without fiddly plugs and sockets.  I have a Lais chip in my 108 dummy and it has behaved itself for at least 3 months and it cost nine quid!
Allan

Online Ditape

• N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2016, 02:04:22 pm »
If you have gone to the expense of a DCC ready DMU, then the extra cost of a function only cheaper chip in the dummy (or dummies) seems a no brainer compared to the hassle of running inter coach wiring with or without fiddly plugs and sockets.  I have a Lais chip in my 108 dummy and it has behaved itself for at least 3 months and it cost nine quid!
I agree with the current LIAS chips it is not something worth thinking about 10 a few minutes and problem solved why bother with hacking wiring and soldering.
Diane Tape

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything