!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Guidance Requested when Chipping Multiple Units  (Read 9273 times)

Offline JayM481

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Guidance Requested when Chipping Multiple Units
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2015, 04:36:19 pm »
I'm sorry it seems I contradicted you, as that wasn't my intent at all. I did actually have to flip the blanking plug when I ran them in on DC. I'm not sure why that happened, as electronics are a bit of magic to me. When I added the DCC chip I put it in the correct (pin 1) way, and it worked correctly (i.e. forward moved the car in reverse, and the red tail light worked). The only thing I can think of is that the blanking plug was in backwards in the first place. From that point on my simple mind followed a few dead ends until I set the car up "normally" after which it ran as it should.

I did try programming them both with the same address, and it worked, sort of. Again, the electrical stuff is all black boxes to me, but for some reason the rear car's white lights would not come on when I reversed direction, though the A car did change to red. I'm probably missing something simple there.

In any case, I found a simple solution that allows me to be eccentric and able to run the power cars individually should I ever want to, and make the lighting work as it should. http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Technical_Info/Tech_Info/FAQPage.php?q=35 near the bottom of this is the explanation that CV22 sets lighting control, and since the rear car is already wired as you describe I just need to add it to the consist as running "forward" and set CV22 to 3.

I'm a bit of a slave to what few habits I've picked up in my short time railroad modelling. I learned one way to speed match, which was to set both locomotives running on the same loop, and adjust the appropriate speed CVs on the faster locomotive until the closure rate disappears. Probably more complicated than JMRI (which I have downloaded, but really haven't experimented with much), but not too hard. Of course each loco needs a unique address to make that work, which is why I didn't consider using the same address as practical.

Sorry for the long-winded reply, but I hope I'm not being mis-understood and perceived as tellling people how to suck eggs, even if they (or I) are on the sauce  ;)

Offline Sparks

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2016, 01:30:58 am »
Thanks to your combined advice I  have done it.

2 Dapol HSTs and a Farish 101 fitted with Lenz Silver Minis  in the motorised units with DZ125IN in HST trailers and an EZ  36 558A in the 101 trailer.

I've just gone DCC and am looking to get chip pairs for Dapol HST's   -    Are the Lenz Silver Minis and DZ125IN still the best combo for these ?   This thread is 2 years old now so just wanted to check if anyone has a more recent example ?   No problem if not,  but I keep reading that the fit in the HST is really tight ....

:thankyousign:   

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 07:08:06 am »
The dz125 is now a dz126, this seems to be the cheapest place for them..
Www.coastaldcc.co.uk

Offline Vonzack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20933
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 09:55:38 am »
I'd go for a Digitrax or Lenz in the motored Power Car, but for the dummy, you might as well use something like a Bachmann chip and save yourself a few s. That's what I do anyway and no problems at all.

Cheers, Mark.

Offline REGP

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19246
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 11:44:56 am »
Sparks
I would be wary of fitting a Bachman chip in the dummy, I tried this on my 101 but it was just to big so ended up having to get a DZ 125 (now 126).
Ray

Offline Vonzack

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 12:02:50 pm »
REGP, sparks is asking about Dapol HSTs, not the Farish 101. Let's not start confusing the poor guy.

I've also been able to fit this combination to the Farish 108, I'm not sure why there would be less room in the 101, don't they have shared mechanisms?

Cheers, Mark.

Offline REGP

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19246
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2016, 12:26:13 pm »
Thanks Mark hadn't spotted the HST ref, don't want to confuse matters.

If I remember, correctly the problem I had was that the chip was quite thick and there wasn't enough room between the DCC  socket and the board for the chip to fit.

Ray

Offline Sparks

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2016, 11:39:50 pm »
Thanks for the guidance.    Dapol Virgin HST now chipped and all working fine.   I totally agree that a Bachmann chip would no way fit in the dummy car as its so tight for space ,  so went with a Lenz Silver mini in the power car and a gaugemaster DCC23 in the dummy.     

(have ordered a DZ126 for my other HST,  but they are almost identical to the gaugemaster one)

Offline Vonzack

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2016, 05:49:53 pm »
Well, it's a really easy install with the Bachmann chips as well, there's nothing special you have to do and it all lines up nicely when done.

Top Off

Top On

Offline Unclealbo

• N Gauge Society Number: 25971
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2016, 12:05:16 am »
Has anybody else tried the Laisdcc chips from Blwtechnicalservices? (Bought on ebay for 9.50)  I have just finished the main part of my layout and switched it to DCC yesterday.  I intend fitting sound so to do a bit of test running I've bought a couple of their 6 pin offerings and one for hard wiring.  My first conversion a Farish J39 ended in tears, I pulled the socket off the board removing the very tight blanking plug.  Undeterred I hard wired it with the wired job and it runs perfectly. 

The next one to go was a Farish Class 24.  With the chip fitted, the top wouldn't go back on properly as the end of the chip was pushing against the back of the cab. The pins were longer than they needed to be and the chip base was not reaching the socket face, after a bit of a trim it all went back nicely.  It ran very well but the lights weren't working even though they had been on DC.  The cure was easy, I pressed the Headlight button on the Procab and on they came.  After a couple of minutes the Class 24 started to make noises like a whistling kettle.  I took it off and looked it over but all seemed okay and it hasn't done it since.  Any thoughts?
Allan

Offline Vonzack

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2016, 12:26:44 am »
There are some legal doubts over the laisdcc chips, but I recently bought a couple of these with the keep alive units. The chips themselves are OK, but the keep alives don't seem to work at all unless I'm missing something.

One thing I did notice, when I set inertia on the chips, my perception was that the loco seemed to visibly jump from one speed step to another rather than smoothly get up to speed. You can probably trim this out with the other settings, but it's not something I've seen with other makes.

That wasn't a big deal for me as they were destined for the driving cars of a Dapol Super Voyager anyway so wouldn't be running a motor.

Cheers, Mark.

Offline Railwaygun

• N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2016, 12:46:41 am »
There Are several threads  on Lais chips here in the DCC section

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29537.0

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=32615.0

I have. A couple - they are quite large, and have variable low speed performance. My test bed ( an ESU chip tester) sows different speed characteristics for forward & reverse.

And having spent 100 - 250 on a loco, I think I'd rather spend the extra tenner and get a chip with a known pedigree.it only has to make smoke once....

NIck R
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2016, 09:43:15 am »
I've got about 20 of the Lais chips, all bought from AliExpress, where they're c8 each.

I agree that out of the box of the speed characteristics can be a bit odd, I use them as function only for lights in MUs though, where I have no issues with them whatsoever.

Offline Unclealbo

• N Gauge Society Number: 25971
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2016, 10:31:04 am »
Thanks for the info, they will be relegated to lighting duties when I get the sound decoders.
Allan

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2016, 03:47:59 pm »
Worth noting that there is the occasional multiple unit (think the Farish 350 is one - not sure if there are others) where the motor is in one of the intermediate cars, so three chips are needed!

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £50.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
91% 
September Donations

Advertise Here