!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Minitrix Ivatt  (Read 3215 times)

Offline johnsom

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Minitrix Ivatt
« on: March 23, 2014, 07:24:03 pm »
Thinking about buying a Minitrix Ivatt class on E.Bay - are they any good ??? how do they compare with Bachfar regarding running qualities ??? - Keith. ???

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
Re: Minitrix Ivatt
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 07:35:34 pm »
I had two which I gave away in desperation ( I would have felt very guilty about selling them )  because they both ran terribly, were very noisy and had no pulling power, very unusual for Minitrix locos.

One was bought new and I saved up for ages to get it, it ran badly from the word go and no amount of attention from the experts improved it one bit.  I have heard of good examples but not very many.

They are also a bit dated now and have rather coarse running gear so I would recommend the Farish version which has the bonus of being DCC ready.

No doubt someone will come along and say that they have one that runs beautifully but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Regards

Veronica.

Offline keithfre

• N Gauge Society Number: 5036
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:23:02 pm »
Last time I gave mine (the tender loco) - a test run - a good few years ago - it ran beautifully, superb slow running. Top speed also much lower than my Poole Farishes. I opened it up out of curiosity and it was made like a Swiss watch inside.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 09:23:23 pm by keithfre, Reason: information missing »

Offline E Pinniger

• N Gauge Society Number: 23704
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 08:25:28 pm »
Depends which of the two Minitrix Ivatt locomotives you're talking about - the 2-6-0 tender loco definitely has lousy pulling power/traction (despite traction tyres on the driving wheels), this can be improved by adjusting the loco/tender connection and making sure the tender wheels turn smoothly, but even at its best it's very prone to slipping. It does at least run smoothly and reliably due to all-wheel pickup, but the wheels/valve gear are chunky and the body rather inaccurate (boiler too wide, front end too long) so you'd be better off going for the new Farish model if you can afford it.

The Ivatt 2-6-2 tank, on the other hand, runs pretty well (in my experience) despite having a very similar chassis to the 2-6-0 without the traction tyres! Though the running gear is still fairly coarse and not totally accurate for the prototype (being a re-used German chassis as usual for Minitrix) the body is pretty good and would look decent with a repaint/relivery and weathering. It could be an affordable alternative to the currently hard to find Dapol model, though I think the latter is being reissued soon with a heavier tungsten chassis.

ParkeNd

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 12:14:13 am »
I used to have a Minitrix Ivatt. It was an ungainly beast but ran very well. Pulling power on the prototype was pretty unspectacular so in this respect it would mimic reality.

To be honest though it is not as fondly remembered as my other all Minitrix fleet (Farish was not in the same league) especially Class 47, all the LNER Pacifics, and the 9Fs.

It would have to be incredibly cheap not to be more sensible and buy the current Farish Ivatt 2MT.

Offline johnsom

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:50:27 am »
Many thanks everyone - I will go for the Farish - it is not priced much more new from Rails and Hattons than the Minitrix Ivatt is on E.Bay !!!!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 11:21:59 am »
I have Minitrix Ivatt locos (both the tank and tender versions). Mine are old, dating back to the 80s (if you wanted British N in those days, you took what you got).

Both of mine work OK today, but I certainly would not go out of my way in the present time to acquire one. To me, the thing is that they are British prototype bodies mounted on German prototype chassis, and that is a compromise that certainly ain't prototypical!

Having mouthed off, I am strangely still very fond of them. Weird.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 11:31:05 am »
Well I have two of the 2-6-0s (black & green) plus two of the 2-6-2Ts one of which has been renumbered.  As previously mentioned the 2-6-0s can be indifferent although mine are good as the Model Railway Doctor worked his magic on them.  The tanks are excellent and in both cases they are built very well.

As models they are not accurate but they portray their prototypes well enough and were streets ahead of the competition when released (PECO Jubilee excepted).

Hope this helps.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 12:32:20 pm »
Often the problem with haulage is down to aged traction tyres (that go hard and shiny with time, particularly those made from the transparent rubber) - if replaced with new the haulage capacity can be quite acceptable - I've had them towing 9 Mk1s no problem.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 10:04:33 pm »
Anyone know where I can get a spare boiler front?
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
I've looked all over for it, but can't find it!!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 10:08:40 pm »
Anyone know where I can get a spare boiler front?

BR lines to full bodies with the smokebox door, so presumably they'll sell you just the smokebox door.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Jfheath

• Maintaining Classic Minitrix
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 12:03:53 am »
I find that they run well and quietly. The tender can lift the traction from the 2-6-0 drive wheels.

I find the motor on these models in particular is prone to burn out.  I haven't worked out why, but I suspect its to do with fingers problems.  The electrical contact with the motor is easy to get wrong if someone has taken the body off, and if this happens it stop the motor from turning and put power direct to the commutator.  If you see one you fancy buying, take a look at the windings.  Any hint of darkening of the windings, leave it.  The motor will get hot when it runs, and it will get worse.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything