!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Scalescene models  (Read 22062 times)

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Scalescene models
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2014, 10:00:56 am »
I hope you can sort it out soon Bob.

I have the new Diesel Depot file, but I don't know if I can find any time to build it.  Looks like a great building to make.  If there are any veteran builders out there then let me know if you can build it and how much you'd charge. :thumbsup:

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2014, 10:47:03 am »
I always add a floor and often a ceiling of much thicker card. An alternative tip is to stick some plastruct angle in the corners - as long as it doesn't obscure part of a window.  On longe structures like a terrace of houses I also add a wall between the individual houses, that also helps support the roof, if you have a good floor and ceiling a vertical piece of card along the centre makes a good roof support. A further advantage of an internal vertical wall is that it prevents being able to see through the windows  from front to back.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Bob Wild

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2014, 11:20:33 am »
I always add a floor and often a ceiling of much thicker card.

That sounds like a very good idea. I've also been thinking (dangerous). I used to model in OO gauge where they recommend thick card at 2mm and medium card at 1mm ie medium is 50% of thick. Now, for N gauge it is suggested 1mm for thick and 200gsm (0.2mm) for medium ie 20%. So, I wondered about trying some medium card at 0.5mm. Which just happens to be the thickness of a Cornflakes packet! Actually a 500g packet is 0.5mm and a 750g packet is 0.6 .........mmm

Bob
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:25:14 am by Bob Wild, Reason: more info »

Offline Chatty

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2014, 01:21:23 am »

I note that some of you have been using GIMP.  How do you get it to print?

I click on print and nothing happens.

Kind regards

Geoff

Have you hugged your locomotive today.

Online Gnep

• N Gauge Society Number: 22806
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2014, 09:21:00 am »

I note that some of you have been using GIMP.  How do you get it to print?

I click on print and nothing happens.

Kind regards

Geoff

I "export as..." a Portable Document Format (PDF) and then print from my PDF reader... Flattenning the image first (ie merging all layers) gets better results as well

G

Offline richie894

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2014, 10:27:51 pm »
Hey all,

Does anyone have any skills at putting together scalescene models? ive got a few but i can never get them right, they always look like they were put together in a nursery class,

Id be happy to pay someone to help me out?

(not sure if this is against forum rules? apologies if it is)

I am in the same boat. I have no problem at all with the Metcalfe kits. They are nicely made and have creases already put in for the folds etc which makes them easier to assemble. But I find the Scalescenes kits a challenge. There are a few Scalescenes kits which I have my eye one, such as the diesel depot. Also the large station station with canopy is a pretty impressive structure.

It would be nice if you could pay a little more and buy them assembled so that they look like the pictures on the website. It would be a good little side-line business for someone who has mastered them.

Offline Bob Wild

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2014, 11:20:53 pm »

It would be nice if you could pay a little more and buy them assembled so that they look like the pictures on the website.

The trouble with selling these kits ready built is that even at the minimum wage rate, the cost would be astronomical.

All I can suggest is to persevere, and learn from your mistakes. I can assure you that the more you do the better they get. It is really useful to be able to throw a part away when you make a mistake and start again.

My most recent discovery is to use Brassmasters etched windows. It makes all the difference when you can paint them any colour you want.

And there are quite a few useful tips in this thread. Let's hope they keep on coming.

Offline Northman

• N Gauge Society Number: 24954
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2014, 11:40:58 am »
I took three attempts to make the first building - but am reasonably happy with it now!

Cereal card is perfect for what they call 'Medium' card in N gauge.

I wish I had spent on the brass etched windows - having struggled for ages with sash windows in card (must confess I did give up on that and just cut the whole rectangle out.)

I have ordered suitable brass etchings for my goods shed and signal box.

Offline scotsoft

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2014, 12:44:55 pm »
I wish I had spent on the brass etched windows - having struggled for ages with sash windows in card (must confess I did give up on that and just cut the whole rectangle out.)

That could be a very handy tip for someone starting out on their first build  :thumbsup:

Thank you for admitting passing it on  :D

cheers John.

:toot:

Offline Greybeema

• N Gauge Society Number: 22399
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2014, 02:08:37 pm »
I have the terraced houses.  Started by printing on paper and glueing that to card - didn't work at all as an approach.  The only way is printing direct to card and maybe laminating from there. I didn't try it yet as I realised I only needed two and there were other buildings more important..

I have of late been trying to build some housing from scratch to match those behind the station at Northfleet (see link below page 5). 

Claude Dreyfus (of this parish) suggested a foam board core to make the structure more rigid.  Cut out large appetites in the core for the windows and adjust the size of the core to allow for its thickness.  Then use the Scalescenes prints as the outer faces..

I am ging to try this for my scratch built buildings - I'll let you know how I get on...
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2014, 02:12:14 pm »
I use Peedie Models etched windows  where possible, - cheaper. Alternatively I use clear acetate and draw the frames on it with fine line paint markers, use a plain card side  before sticking the brick paper on  with window spaces cut out as a template, cut the acetate to the same shape and clip it firmly to the template with paper clips or small clamps; draw the frames with a ruler and the edges by drawing round the template openings

Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline mr bachmann

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2014, 03:51:07 pm »
in the past i've built lots of card buildings but never had a go at a Scalescene one , i could be tempted to try should one come my way - it would be returned fully made .

alan

Offline bees

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2014, 07:31:59 am »
Hi all,

I'm a big fan of Scalescenes and have built many kits, definitely agree with Bob Wild. You get better the more you build.
I scratch build more now using elements of kits and other Texture sheets, my current scratchbuild project is Reddish Depot to scale, just need somewhere to put it!!! ..........oh, and some 76's, thinking of building my Masterclass kit, and then creating a moulding to recreate in resin. I need some confidence for that though first!

Steven
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Offline Wingman mothergoose

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2014, 07:52:51 am »
I love Scalescenes kits! The only gripe is that they take so long to build! The end result is totally worth the time spent though.
My last Scalescenes building was the Northlight engine shed, which I altered from the Scalescenes design to represent a GCR loco shed. Thos of you who have seen my YouTube channel will have seen it. The basic kit is a 2 road shed long enough for one loco on each road, I've expanded mine to a 4 road shed accommodating 2 locos on each, with workshops/offices on the side with a door and bay window on the front in an Annesley/Leicester style.
It's not quite finished, I tried being a smarty pants by using the clear plastic from the front of Metcalfe packaging for my windows then drawing the frames on, which failed, then discovering I could print the windows on acetate!

Chris

Offline kaiwhara

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19901
  • Train Driver and former Signalman from New Zealand
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2014, 08:05:59 am »
I love Scalescenes kits! The only gripe is that they take so long to build! The end result is totally worth the time spent though.
My last Scalescenes building was the Northlight engine shed, which I altered from the Scalescenes design to represent a GCR loco shed. Thos of you who have seen my YouTube channel will have seen it. The basic kit is a 2 road shed long enough for one loco on each road, I've expanded mine to a 4 road shed accommodating 2 locos on each, with workshops/offices on the side with a door and bay window on the front in an Annesley/Leicester style.
It's not quite finished, I tried being a smarty pants by using the clear plastic from the front of Metcalfe packaging for my windows then drawing the frames on, which failed, then discovering I could print the windows on acetate!

Chris

Hi Chris

What is your Youtube Channel mate?

Andrew
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £85.00