!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Scalescene models  (Read 22036 times)

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Scalescene models
« Reply #165 on: July 06, 2016, 09:01:55 pm »
I'm not sure I agree with laser printing. We have a heavy duty laser printer at school, but the quality is way worse than my cheapo inkjet printer. I've found the quality of paper can make a big difference, as well as printing at a high quality setting.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance at Spennymoor Model Rail Exhibition, 29/30 October 2016.

Layout: Northallerton
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2016, 09:06:01 pm »
I use a business printer I have access to which is much better than the general  models.

The point is ink stability and inkjet can literally a wash out.

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: July 06, 2016, 09:13:57 pm »
Yes, I understand why you suggest using a laserjet and I agree with your reasoning. I just haven't found a laserjet printer up to the same quality as an inkjet.
As I say, ours at school is a hefty thing, way beyond the pockets of most households, and the quality is lacking. Much more suited bulk copying than quality, which is why we have it at school. But I guess there are laserjets that are higher quality. Just not all of them.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance at Spennymoor Model Rail Exhibition, 29/30 October 2016.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #168 on: July 06, 2016, 09:26:00 pm »
Some laser-jets are for bulk and some are for art, graphics and photography rendering.  they are about the same price but not interchangeable in their use as the better rendition inks are more expensive.

All these buildings are Laser printed.

Offline pmcglone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22889
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2016, 03:35:58 pm »
My printer ran out of ink and I have replaced them.I printed off the Roads etc The tarmac on the Roads  have a green tinge to them rather than all grey...the "Road Sign" page was fine....I am hoping it is that the printer heads may need cleaning but the Road sign page was fine.  Has anyone else experienced this.

Online Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2016, 03:36:56 pm »
They print fine on my laser :)

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2016, 03:46:22 pm »
You need a color laser that is sold as being suitable for printing photographs.  The rest are color adjusted for solid block color and text and graphics.

Online joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2016, 08:04:58 pm »
I work for a paper company so I can tell you that, as a general rule:

Laser printing will give you a waxy, slightly glossy finish, and deeper shades of colour in the browns/greys that we like.

Ink jet printing will give you a matt finish and faded,washed out shades of colour.

Best regards,

Joe

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2016, 08:28:22 pm »
I print mine onto A4 label stock using an OKI colour laser.

I tend now to use the downloaded brick or stone sheets and design my own buildings, I often adjust colours in photo editing software; that started when I wanted stone the colour of Purbeck limestone which is used a lot in this area,  Scalescenes tended to print a brownish colour, weathered Purbeck is much nearer grey, when first built it's not far off white. I now also change the shades of brick paper for some buildings.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline pmcglone

• N Gauge Society Number: 22889
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: July 09, 2016, 01:45:09 pm »
I relation to Kirkys comments...I printed out the five sheets for the "Roads" The street signs were ok but the Tarmac was more Green than grey.Someone told me it is because you need to set the printer to High quality and "Photo" setting. Will try it...It drinks the Inks unfortunately.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #175 on: July 09, 2016, 01:49:02 pm »
Use HP brilliant white graphics quality paper

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: July 09, 2016, 03:19:14 pm »
I relation to Kirkys comments...I printed out the five sheets for the "Roads" The street signs were ok but the Tarmac was more Green than grey.Someone told me it is because you need to set the printer to High quality and "Photo" setting. Will try it...It drinks the Inks unfortunately.
To be honest, of all John's scalescene offerings, I think his road surface is the poorest. This of course just my opinion. I too have had problems printing this out and have even tried to retouch it, but thats not very successful.
I emailed John a few months ago to ask him if he could redo his car parking to have a  more modern type disabled bay. As usual John responded very positively and said he would be redoing the roadways too.
Cheers
Kirky

Offline Steamie+

• N Gauge Society Number: 26963
  • N Gauge is part of my life. :)
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2017, 06:06:54 am »
Hi all  :wave:

Seen as this is a thread about Scalescene Models I thought I would post a couple of pics of my first scalescene build  :hmmm:

I thought that the kit went together well with just a couple of problems of my own doing  :-[
As previously mentioned make sure you have a good supply of blades for your craft knife  ;)

:beers:

dave  :thumbsup:

Great modell.               :thumbsup:
:toot: :A1Tornado: :Carriage: :Carriage:

Offline Steamie+

• N Gauge Society Number: 26963
  • N Gauge is part of my life. :)
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2017, 06:17:29 am »

I note that some of you have been using GIMP.  How do you get it to print?

I click on print and nothing happens.

Kind regards

Geoff

I "export as..." a Portable Document Format (PDF) and then print from my PDF reader... Flattenning the image first (ie merging all layers) gets better results as well

G

Thank you for that explanation, it is a mystery to me and perhaps most what things actually do in the world of printing and PDF and has for GIMP and other programs like it, why does it always seem so complicated for us technophobes to grasp, maybe because they think we all know what to do.

Anyway this is a great thread and i am learning a lot about scratch building even though some is quite doughting, (sorry for the spelling) i am finding it so interesting on how to go about things.      :thumbsup:
:toot: :A1Tornado: :Carriage: :Carriage:

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2017, 09:19:17 am »
With regard to colour reproduction basically every printer and paper type combination will produce a slightly different shade and type of finish.

With ink-jets the amount of ink laid down on the paper is generally matched to the quality of the paper, it's thickness, how absorbent it is, which are all part of the set-up.

So printing at high ink rates - photo quality say - on plain 80/90gsm paper will just over-saturate the paper - make it too wet. The colours may be darker, but fine detail, say brick courses, might disappear under the weight of ink.

More ink on photo type paper will produce deeper/richer colours/shades, but unless it's on matt paper then it's very glossy and reflective.

Importing a file into a photo editor like Elements or Gimp you can 'adjust' the colour balance quite simply using levels. There is usually a drop down menu for the Red/Green/Blue channels which can be individually changed (slider scales). It is the mix ( balance) of these that produce the actual shade.

If you experiment you'll soon see what is possible. Often only very small changes are needed to change/alter/remove what is generally called a 'colour cast' such as the green tint in the road colour. Basically either reduce the green, or increase the red/blue.

Some printers - the Epson range I have found generally have the best software/biggest range of adjustments - allow these types of adjustments along with many others in the printer software so you don't need a photo editor.

Izzy

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
155% 
March Donations

Advertise Here