!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Scalescene models  (Read 40069 times)

Online Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Re: Scalescene models
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2015, 12:24:01 pm »
It applies more to Metcalfe and other card kits and scratch builds.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2015, 09:28:18 am »

I don't quite understand that Jerry as the way the Scalescens kits go together there is always a 'wrap' of either the external or internal finish which covers the window and door reveals.

Trevor, what I was refering to  it occurs mainly with arched windows that do not wrap around and sometimes with the very corner edges of the window if I have failed to cut the window ledge wrap overs to a precise measurement. Its mainly an extra assurance measure.

Like your tip about the windows  :thumbsup:

Jerry 

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Jordash

• N Gauge Society Number: 25630
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2015, 10:27:10 pm »
I've just bought a couple of kits for Jennings Quay and thought I'd have a practice with the free low profile unit from the website. First impressions; I'm really impressed by the quality of the textures. The problem I've had is that I tried spraying the building with humbrol acrylic Matt varnish and it destroyed the colour. The whole thing looks like it's been out in the sun for a year. I want to be able to protect these models, but not sure what I should be using, any help?

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2015, 11:08:09 pm »
Suspect acrylic varnish might be water based which would cause the ink to run if they are inkjet printed.

I print with a colour laser, rarely bother with varnish on them.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2015, 11:51:45 pm »

Hi Jordash,

I have used quite a few different Scalescenes downloads and been very happy with them.  We have them on our club layout Horseley Fields (there is a thread on it on this forum) and they've stood the test of time well IMO.

After printing but before construction, I give each sheet a spray with Windsor & Newton artists' fixative, though I am sure other brands are just as good.  Once that's dry I build the thing, then it gets a spray with Matt varnish.

cheers

Ben A.

Offline rhysapthomas

• Awards
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2015, 09:02:08 am »
I'm a big fan of scalecene but you do have to be careful with the Matt varnish.   I have used Humberol and had problems with a white misting if you spray to much and  have had the same issue with Windsor & Newton.

I am currently using Army Painter Matt varnish which seems to be working well with my cheap Epson ink cartridges

If you are using a laser printer then I would be careful with varnish as it can change the colour at least when I have used a HP laser

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2015, 09:29:11 am »
I have used Humberol and had problems with a white misting if you spray to much and  have had the same issue with Windsor & Newton.

A white mist is usually caused if you are spraying in a damp environment or it's too cold.....

Offline Graham Walters

• N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.co.uk
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2015, 10:16:07 pm »
If you go into "The Range"  or "Hobbycraft" have a look around the card makers aisle, I found a few tools that are really useful for building these kits, firstly you can get tools to score card, they are like ball point pen, I bought a pack of four which gives you eight different sizes.

I also bought a couple of rotary cutters in different sizes, I found these tend to wander less on the thicker card.

There are also different blades for the scapel handles, the most useful is one similar to a chisel,

Second left in the pic above, this one is particularly useful for getting window openings square, by pushing down, rather than using a slicing motion, be careful though because they are easy to snap.

I also find that using a scrap piece of card to turn the wrap over helps to get a better line, and waiting for the first part to dry before attempting to wrap the wrap over the card is a good idea.

I also print the windows onto OHP film, this gives a lot better version than the printed to card ones, and means you can add lights to the building, as well as curtains and other things.
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

You can visit us Tues - Fri 11am - 5:00pm Thurs Late Night until 10:00pm  Sat 9am - 5:00pm
Unit 404, The Commercial Centre. Picket Piece. Andover SP11 6RU

Offline Peediemodels

• Advertiser
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23459
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • Peedie Models
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2015, 10:27:06 pm »
About to start the new Gable Roof Engine Shed. Anyone any tips before I start?

In particular I notice the there are inspection pits between the rails. How on earth does that work, without the track falling apart?
If it were me doing the inspection pit I would cut out the pit in the board then lay the track, also add a few fine wire nails to the outer edges of the track and give a touch of solder just a small amount to hold the rails in place.  The nails/joints should not be seen when the concrete or slab floor is laid as this will be close to the tops of the rails. Then using a sharp knife make several passes over each sleeper on the inside of the rails so cutting them off flush.  Just a thought
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2015, 09:02:47 am »
I think I Would use the Peco inspection pit and maybe put a strip of LEDs on the inside of the pit ,unfortunatly I've already built my yard scene and it would be difficult to cut the whole out now.
Bob

Offline Jordash

• N Gauge Society Number: 25630
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2015, 09:07:35 pm »
Here's a couple of kits that I've put together so far:

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2015, 09:56:39 pm »
Tried their tent/camp site pack today, a waste of £5 IMO... Not particularly good and looked shoddy against my other buildings, so off to scratch build a toilet block!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2015, 10:00:56 pm »
so off to scratch build a toilet block!

You can get them in packs of 2 complete with plastic holder and in various fragrances from most Pound shops :D

Offline Chinahand

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18337
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2015, 10:34:30 pm »
Tried their tent/camp site pack today, a waste of £5 IMO... Not particularly good and looked shoddy against my other buildings, so off to scratch build a toilet block!

Who's models are you referring to. ? To the best of my knowledge Scalescenes don't do such a kit and, as Scalescenes is the subject of this thread, I'm somewhat confused.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)

Offline cjdodd

• Owner of Colworth Hill and Billybrook Yard
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2015, 10:43:21 pm »

Who's models are you referring to. ? To the best of my knowledge Scalescenes don't do such a kit and, as Scalescenes is the subject of this thread, I'm somewhat confused.

I think you mean the modelrailwayscenery.com ones

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here