!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Modular layout  (Read 18622 times)

Offline mika

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Modular layout
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2016, 09:55:07 pm »
Wow, that looks really good. Wish I had that space... :(
I look forward to your next updates.

Cheers
Michael :)

Offline ptopo

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2016, 07:58:02 pm »
Monty, you terrible cant.

:ban:

1mm plasticard used which give about 8% (reading around it seems as though 7% was maximum for BR) one can just about make out the lean on the Peak. This engine was used as it is the most sensitive to changes in vertical relief and makes an OK transition into the super-elevated section.

Slow progress at the moment - getting the points in, the curves looking right, the track properly shaped and cut and the super-elevation takes time. There's also two baseboard joints to negotiate and the associated brass screws/solder.

I guess one only does it once so another 10 hours work from getting a train all around the room in both directions will be well invested.

Ta for looking

PT

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2016, 08:28:44 pm »
Not quite how I remember the quote from 'Withnail and I' ;)

The superelevation looks good to me. I think anything more would not look so good :hmmm:

Offline ptopo

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2016, 07:56:54 pm »
Rather hard work to... but WE'RE ALL THE WAY AROUND THE ROOM!!! :laugh3:

1) paint all track and points (doing this before laying is a must but beware the flexi track sticks rather so pre-fitting is not a bad idea)
2) attach droppers to every piece
3) cut and lay all track, add spare sleepers (dead cheap from peco) including... points that are laid with a huge and silly amount of perfectionism.

and the station fast up and downs lines.

4) add cant on sweeping curve
5) solder all rails across joins (x4 including two on a sweeping curve)

6) Check running with worst engine
7) cut track with razor saw

8 ) and flip over the boards and solder/fit seeps, connect the Brilliant ADS-2fx DCC concepts point motors (more on those later if you're interested)
9) connect all droppers
10) send SB5 smartbooster back to NCE in the US to be fixed  :'( and dig out the old power cab
11) programme points
12) take photo of the unholy mess left by all of this (modules are easy to move and work under but do clutter the place when taken down.

13) flip modules back, reconnect and hey presto, everything fails/shorts :censored:
14) spend a day troubleshooting faulty/incorrectly wired board connectors, shorting frogs, Accessory decoder issues (more later)
15) re-re-connect and try again.
16) whoop with childish delight and run some of the new stock that one has treated oneself to during the darker moments.

The super-elevation has been slightly eased to mimic the BR maximum (150mm, which neatly becomes 1mm in N....). You can just see in the vid that the train drops slightly over the join due to a slight difference in height. I'm trying to decide if this is a 'feature' or something to actually fix...

More soon, it's been a busy old half term.

PT

Ps here is the track plan as a reminder..

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2016, 08:21:05 pm »
Looking good there, painting the loft room white instead of the varnish does make it look a lot lighter. Your cant curves look really good very impressive. What happened with your SB5 you did not seem to have it long and you are sending it back. I am impressed with mine, I am using 4x psx circuit breakers to split the layout into sections.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2016, 10:08:20 pm »
Excellent and informative update.
 :thankyousign:

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2016, 11:32:24 pm »
Nice work. :thumbsup: the superelevation looks good.

I'm so envious of all that loft room space. My bungalow has a massive loft floor area but more trusses than a hernia clinic and a low angled pitch on the roof so sadly it's of no use for a layout. :(
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline ptopo

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2016, 08:05:59 am »
Thanks ever so much.

The SB5 just goes into reset constantly, as if is eperiencing a short, even with nothing but the power connected. In my case there are two districts each controlled by their higher end circuit breaker.

Originally I'd have liked to have the marshalling areas separate from the rest of the layout but this would involve a hideous amount of wiring and the main objective is simplicity for future-proofing. The main divide between the districts is therefore the centre of the station as all tracks naturally break at the module join - one district going clockwise around to the lower goods yard and the other anti clockwise taking in the viaduct and the upper passenger yard.

Some more prosaic pictures of track on grey...

The viaduct with full track; it's about a 130cm radius curve which works OK. It isn't super elevated at the moment, not sure if I will or not yet.

And some trains going over it, the point and tight 90deg curve in the background will be under a tunnel/scenic break at some point

Two views of the full room confirming that we have a full circuit...

1) the original two modules are now in their semi-permanent location, retaining walls will be the back-drop in front of the window. The gap in front is where the final module will be installed.

2) you can see which bit I'm doing next already.... you can also see again that the space at the rear of the attic is pretty limited - this necessitated the modular approach anyway as I have to be able to remove them due to there being no space underneath. We were very lucky that the front third of the room is full height though!

The plan now is to get the four station tracks and termini in place then install the reversing line module. At that point it will time for a serious test of how the layout performs, where the signals need to be and how they will operate. I've got plan but they normally become redundant after first engagement with the enemy...

...at this point I think I'm going to add some more scenics to the yard modules and add the main line signals, thus saving laying the final track sections for the future. I'd always wanted to take advantage of the modular approach to mix up activities and keep things fresh.

Thanks for looking & all the kind comments to date.

PT

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 08:22:58 am by ptopo »

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2016, 09:34:19 am »
Nice layout and great attention to detail. I admire your approach, taking time to get things right as you go mixed with the pragmatic knowledge that "the best laid plans..."

Very interested to see how the viaduct develops - scratch build I guess?  :thankyousign:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2016, 10:03:04 am »
I'm sure the viaduct will look spectacular. I certainly envy you the long runs for trains :envy:

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2016, 10:46:09 am »
Looking good, and the viaduct lower base idea is one I shall be using when I get my own layout started.
You have made excellent use of the available space and the modular style is understandable.
 :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2016, 03:08:02 pm »
 :hellosign: Thanks for the vids & updates, all looking good
   regards Derek.

Offline Croxy

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2016, 01:31:43 am »
I like the look of the track plan and things are looking good......I'll be watching this as you make progress......
If you like it run it......

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2016, 04:09:44 pm »
Looks like a great space to work with, and I like what you are doing.

Offline ptopo

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2016, 05:21:49 pm »
Thank-you, most kind. Indeed - the viaduct (probably a viaduct...) will be scratch built, most probably a long time from now.

Lots and lots and lots of hard graft on track painting/laying/point motoring/swearing (not so bad this time, only 1 major goof).

I've now added the two through bays & the second set of points. The long points are super-cool and almost line up perfectly with the crossing. I'd have liked slightly bigger gaps to the outer bays but it's wide enough (22mm rail to rail not 17mm, so about 2 1/2 scale feet.

And a class 46 crossing over...

The top junction was a bit of a challenge, eventually I nicked a y point which quite nicely provides 5 degrees into the junction and 5 to continue the sweep around to the reversing sidings. I must be honest, it's not been straightforward to get such a complex juntion on a 90-100cm radius corner but the final result, minus a few tweaks, came out quite nicely.

And from the station end. It's smart to photograph one's work close up as the imperfections are much clearer (some slight modifications to rail position, the odd dodgy sleeper (those on rail joins are not fixed yet).

And the station throat, all curved points out of necessity and I've widened the main platforms to allow for some waiting rooms and more space around a bridge. I'm going for Nottingham meets Leicester meets Peterborough (I.e. The main hall over at the far end, two bridges, one at the hall end one about 1/2 way down, conveniently at the board join. This meant sweeping the termini left then right, the impression is intended, in the end, to give the illustion of straight through/straight on rather than a tight left handed after the station.

Now embarking on the reversing loop on the 7th board and will be adding a second reversing section so I can install a small 4-6 coach island station (more future modelling opportunities) for DMUs etc for a little more operational interest.

I'm also running a heap of test trains now to check that operational features, planning for panels and signals.

Thanks for looking and, once again, for all of the supportive comments.

Cheers

PT

ps I got the SB5 back from the US (hurrah!). Kudos to NCE for a quick fix. They think it was a short which is possible as I had a coupe of problems early on when individually prepping the boards and circumventing the breakers. From now on I will be using the power cab if doing that and cant recommend using the NCE circuit breaker enough, they are magic.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here