!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wookery  (Read 193205 times)

Offline port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wookery
« Reply #1695 on: April 26, 2018, 07:49:18 pm »
For preventing uncoupling tackywax works so well.
Nice picture too.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #1696 on: April 26, 2018, 08:34:49 pm »
Sounds like a neat solution (not rubber solution) to me.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #1697 on: April 27, 2018, 04:55:49 pm »
OK guys, I have some questions to pose to you chaps who know faaaaaar more than I do about railways in the real world - Chris is bound to know the answers, he knows everything  :smiley-laughing:

My NGS carflat finally arrived today after a long wait (Thanks Adrian, the shop manager, for sorting it out quickly once he knew that I had a problem).
It looks very nice...

The Oxford Diecast cars look good on it but they are heavy and I had to drop a couple of coaches off. I wonder if anybody has produced any light plastic 1960s British cars?

Anyway, my main question is, where would this wagon be placed in the train? Behind the engine as I have pictured it, which is aesthetically pleasing?
Or at the very rear of the train? My understanding is that this service was offered to holidaymakers travelling far away who didn't fancy the long drive and so caught the train and took their car along too. So, the car would have to be offloaded at some point - how was this achieved? Some kind of ramp, and driven straight off the end? If so then I guess it would have to be at the rear of the train.....but then surely the whole train would have to be reversed up to an offloading point? Or would the carflat have been shunted separately and travellers just had to hang around for their car?
Was the service offered purely terminus to terminus, or were cars dropped off along the way?

So many questions  :D
Any help much appreciated so that I can run it prototypically......

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1698 on: April 27, 2018, 05:06:31 pm »
I have been a very busy boy today.
I built a new section and worked out how to get all the concrete lintels to line up reasonably correctly on the new factory build:

I cut the loading bay doors out of the one built a couple of days ago, fitted two ground floor window sections, and then built a third section to add on:

This will now be the back of the building.
It's hard to tell from the photos, rather that in situ, but I think it will be a very imposing building.
I still have an awful lot of reservations as to whether it will all go together correctly though as it is so complicated.
I have a feeling that some very creative bodging will be needed.
I wish now that I had done it as an ultra low profile creation, right up against the backscene.  :(

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1699 on: April 27, 2018, 06:52:21 pm »
OK, Mike, I'll rise to this. 8-) I have bought a BR Bauxite Carflat (it arrived some time ago but I've not, yet, posted a photo. of it). When used on what became known as "Motorail" trains, they were coupled at the end of the passenger coaches being shunted on and off the rake of passenger coaches at the departure and destination station, in Cornwall, St. Austell. The Carflats were shunted into a siding with an end-loading ramp equipped with hinged metal plates to bridge the gap; similar hinged metal plates being used at the ends of each Carflat so that cars could be driven on and off.

BR SR used a very similar procedure with its train of BR SR Green GUVs which formed its Surbiton-Okehampton "Car Carrier' train which BR WR's "Motorail" service to St. Austell replaced. (I have a very nice colour photo. of this train of GUVs at Okehampton with the detached passenger coaches in a neighbouring siding.)

Elsewhere, a converted BR Bogie Bolster wagon, with a platform that could slide out at an angle, was shunted to the end of the train of Carflats to enable cars to be driven on and off the platform alongside the Carflats then, down the platform ramp.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:50:08 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected »

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1700 on: April 27, 2018, 07:09:17 pm »
Thanks Chris. It's sort of how I figured then.
Oh well, the carflat goes to the rear  :(

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1701 on: April 27, 2018, 07:34:02 pm »
 Back in , I think, 1971 (long before I knew her), Mrs PP took her morris minor from London to Inverness by train.
Passengers had to drive their own cars on and off the carflats.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1702 on: April 27, 2018, 08:09:00 pm »

My NGS carflat finally arrived today after a long wait (Thanks Adrian, the shop manager, for sorting it out quickly once he knew that I had a problem).
It looks very nice...

:whiteflag:  :sorrysign:  :(  I was helping Adrian the past month with the carflats, I was doing the Bauxite ones .... I have been exchanging emails with him earlier this week about a missing order for Mike in Ipswich (+ some others) ......  he sent it to me on April 13th and I completely missed it in my inbox to process and send out ..... so I profusely apologise Mike for being the source of your long wait  :(   Apologies as well to the other 5 NGS members who had a longer than necessary wait to receive theirs .....    I'll get my coat!

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1703 on: April 27, 2018, 08:44:13 pm »
It's not a problem mate, I was just concerned that it might have got lost in the post.  :goggleeyes:

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1704 on: April 28, 2018, 06:37:39 pm »
Forget those pictures of the new factory above - I've cut them into pieces again!  :D
I really didn't like them finished with a flush fascia as the joins really showed.
Plus, I forgot that I built some blank sections to go into the back wall at first floor level as the road behind it is at that level.
I found the blank walls in the box this afternoon, and realised that I was some windows missing elsewhere because of the mistake.
I really couldn't face making more window sections, they are so tedious, so....scalpel time  :D

I'm not sure how much can be seen of the changes in the photos below, but the walls are now recessed between the buttresses and the drainpipes are flush

I've finished all the walls now, but have to re-cover two butresses before refitting them as they got spoiled when I cut them off.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #1705 on: April 28, 2018, 08:47:05 pm »
It looks better with the buttresses. :thumbsup:. I'm about to embark on a similar project.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1706 on: May 04, 2018, 07:39:10 pm »
Not bad.....

It has been an absolute pig to get it to this stage!
It didn't help that I put all the main butresses in the wrong way round - they are oblong and should have gone in with the narrow side facing out.
Putting them in the other way round has thrown all the dimensions out.
I've had to cut chunks out of walls and floors to get it to go together at all, and even then it isn't quite square in places.
The roof isn't going to fit and will require some creative bodg fettling.
I'm hoping that the rooftop ballustrade will cover up a multitude of evils.

At the end of the day though it does look vert impressive, and as it is at the back nobody is going to get too close a look.
It is derelict, so some overgrown weeds can cover up one or two icky spots  :D
It will cover the backscene join very nicely.
It is slightly too big for the spot I earmarked for it, so I have to do a little relandscaping, but nothing serious.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1707 on: May 04, 2018, 07:43:13 pm »
That's one impressive huge building!

Look forward to seeing it 'on site' so to speak.

Dave G

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1708 on: May 04, 2018, 07:52:19 pm »
That looks really good.
As itís derelict, are we going to have a cops and robbers scenario with the cops chasing the robbers up onto the roof?  :D
My Layouts -

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1709 on: May 04, 2018, 07:56:11 pm »
Hmmmmmm....haven't thought that far ahead yet.
Maybe a jumper standing on the parapet with cops down below?  :D

Or the Tardis standing in one corner.....

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything