!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wookery  (Read 202497 times)

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
Re: Wookery
« Reply #1635 on: March 31, 2018, 12:31:12 pm »
It's a bit of a laborious job putting the boards together and taking them apart so I think I will just wire up the front sections of the switched sidings before I start Pla testing....

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1636 on: March 31, 2018, 02:50:40 pm »
Oh dear oh dear, I've hit loads of problems so I have come in for a cup of tea and a think  :(

First of all, I realised that (before I understood exactly what I needed to do with the wiring) I took the insulators out of the points in the sidings for the branch lines. Not a big problem, except that I have lost them. I reckon that they got vacuumed up, and the bag has been emptied since. They will have to wait until I can get to my local shop, probably next Wednesday.

So I thought that I would play instead. Connected the gaugemaster and discovered that although I measured the length before ordering, I didn't check the depth, and it hangs off the shelf rather perilously! I can make the shelf deeper, but it will still stick out a lot into a very narrow walkway space. I may have to swap the whole layout round to face the other way, which is a shame.

Then I discovered that I have a dead section on the return end beyond the points.
Major senior moment as I realised I had completely forgotten to run power to this area!  :smiley-laughing:
Easily sorted but I think I have used all the available pins in the board connector.

Worst of all, I discovered that the whole fiddle yard is dead, including the section on the new boards which was previously working!  :'(

It's soul-destroying after so many days of hard work. I'm sure it's a simple error somewhere, but it will be hard to trace with so much wiring......

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1637 on: March 31, 2018, 04:49:54 pm »
I do hope that you get it sorted.
I often find that to walk away then come back a couple of hours later leads to a solution.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1638 on: March 31, 2018, 05:10:52 pm »
I found the problem on the new boards quite easily - one wire had become detached from the bus, and another was wired onto the wrong power bus.

Curiously, just one line runs on the original board, but from the wrong dial on the controller! This suggests that perhaps I have wired one dropper onto the wrong bus, probably onto a non-switched bus. I was too tired to go hunting for it today, but sitting having another cuppa I decided that the best way to search for it is to check which wires are connected to that bus and trace them backwards. Curiously that one working track also works in the section that I thought I had missed!  :goggleeyes:

At the moment I can't think why everything else is dead, unless that wire is causing a short. I have used DPDT on/off/on switches in this area, with one side wired to one board, and the other to the board that doesn't work. I am correct in thinking that both sides of the switch should work from a single switch position aren't I?

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #1639 on: April 01, 2018, 08:11:35 am »
. I have used DPDT on/off/on switches in this area, with one side wired to one board, and the other to the board that doesn't work. I am correct in thinking that both sides of the switch should work from a single switch position aren't I?

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious but one explanation for your dpdt problem could be that you have not wired the "common" pair to the middle contacts but to an outer pair instead??

If it looks right, it probably is right.

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1640 on: April 01, 2018, 11:22:48 am »
Thanks for that Dave, but yes I have the switch wired correctly.

I found one set of outer loop wires connected to the inner loop bus by mistake. Re- routed them, but I still have this annoying problem of one track live, from the wrong controller, and everything else dead.

In desperation I took the wires off one side of the switch and connected them directly to the rails, effectively jumping directly rail to rail across the boards. Still no power getting across. I do now have an idea of what the problem is, and if I'm right it is easy enough to sort out, but had to stop now as family due here any minute. I wouldn't have had this problem if I had slightly relaid the track so that the points for the second loop had been on the other board.  :veryangry:

I have to find the misrouted wire first though, or there will be a short when I do finally get power working.

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1641 on: April 01, 2018, 05:07:01 pm »
Well, immediately our guests left, I was out to the railway room like a shot.  :D
I found the fault straight away - it was exactly what I suspected, a passing loop dropper accidentally wired into the non switched bus. I've been so tired when working on the wiring all week, it doesn't really surprise me.

I then decided that the only thing I could do to get power across the boards was to literally take a wire from every rail through the 25 pin connector and on to the relevant buses on the next board.

16 solders later the inner main line and both passing loops on that line now work perfectly - and from the correct controller!  :bounce:

The outer line is still dead through the scenic board, but works on the rest of the layout. The only thing I can think of now is that the switch (although new) may be faulty, so the next logical step is to replace it. Although it's a simple job, I'm dead beat now from having to keep lifting up and moving the boards, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.  :(

I do feel like I'm getting there now though.
I was tempted to connect up the controller to the two branch lines and try those out, but I bottled it. Let's get both mainlines working first. :goggleeyes:

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #1642 on: April 01, 2018, 05:28:54 pm »
Walk away and come back fresh another day........ enlightenment will surely follow :beers:

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1643 on: April 01, 2018, 07:01:00 pm »
Just hide my sledgehammer please  ;D

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1644 on: April 02, 2018, 10:54:07 am »
Well I'm in the depths of despair now  :'(
I replaced the switch and that section still doesn't work.

It just doesn't make sense, as it is wired exactly the same way as the section that works just fine!

The only thing that I can think of now is a broken wire somewhere, hidden by the insulation covering. I guess that this is where I find out how to use the multimeter that I've had in the drawer for years untouched cos I don't know how it works!

More family coming round shortly, so I won't get a chance to give it a try until later.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1645 on: April 02, 2018, 11:20:29 am »
A multi-meter works wonders!  It might be a good idea to get it out and have a practise anyway, because it will save you so much time going forward.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #1646 on: April 02, 2018, 08:59:33 pm »
Select the voltage and put the probes, one at the beginning the other at the end. With one probe at the controller, move the other probe back along the wire until you get a reading. The break will be between the reading and the previous check. Remember to take locos off the track :)
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #1647 on: April 02, 2018, 09:25:45 pm »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1648 on: April 02, 2018, 10:40:12 pm »
 :hellosign: Hope you find the cure soon Mike
     regards Derek.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1649 on: April 03, 2018, 06:54:56 am »
Select the voltage and put the probes, one at the beginning the other at the end. With one probe at the controller, move the other probe back along the wire until you get a reading. The break will be between the reading and the previous check. Remember to take locos off the track :)
I used to teach fault finding.  The easiest way to find this type of fault is to check resistance.  First, turn off the power.  Then check the resistance between the two leads to your meter.  It it reads more than 0.5 ohm, you need a new battery.  Some meters indicate an open circuit by '-1'.  Then check from your one side of your controller to the same polarity point where you want power.  If it reads more than 0.5 ohm there is a problem.  Check both sides of the power output in the same way.  If one side reads OK, it's a disconnection.  If both are open circuit, it's a wiring or switching error.  Check the half way point.  If it's still open circuit come back half way again.  Otherwise check half way back to the original point, etc etc.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 06:55:59 am by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104%