!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wookery  (Read 208047 times)

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
Re: Wookery
« Reply #1620 on: March 25, 2018, 01:30:30 pm »
Take it easy, Mike. Glad the show went well and you were able to pick up some excellent bargains.

Indeed Chris

I'm well pleased with these  :thumbsup:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1621 on: March 25, 2018, 02:41:52 pm »
They all three look excellent books, Mike. I particularly like the look of the middle and first books.

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1622 on: March 26, 2018, 12:24:54 pm »
Hmmmm....... I don't know whether this is good news or bad, but the hospital have cancelled my second scan.
I was told that the doctor has seen what they need to see from the first one.
I guess that this means either that they have spotted the problem, or that it is clear.
Obviously I am hoping that it is the former, and that it is treatable!
I have to wait until 5th April to find out, when I will see my heart consultant.

It's gonna be a long 10 days!  :(

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1623 on: March 26, 2018, 02:09:29 pm »
One would like to think if they had seen anything serious you wouldn't be waiting for a result.
Stay optimistic, Mike

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1624 on: March 26, 2018, 02:50:10 pm »
Hopefully all is ok. Chin up  and think positively.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1625 on: March 26, 2018, 03:54:33 pm »
Thanks chaps but I am positive - I'm absolutely positive that I want this scan to find something! I really do not want a clear result. I am getting increasingly bad angina and I want them to find what's causing it.
I don't really care (within reason) what they have to do to correct it, I just want it sorted!!

I've had four years of tests, sometimes ****** horrible tests, and they have all come back clear. If they can see what's blocked, they can sort it.

The AF (heart flutter, erratic beat) is a separate issue. At the moment I feel the angina is causing the AF. I've already been told that they may have to ablate the node in the centre of the heart. This node sends out the electrical impulses that make the heart beat. When it becomes faulty the signals get muddled and you get AF. Ablating is lasering the node to kill it, and you are then totally reliant on your pacemaker. This is partly why they fitted the pacemaker, as you obviously have to have one before they kill the node. I really really do not fancy ablation, hence my prayers that this scan finds something - it may be the end of my problems.

Back on topic, I have spent today on the rewire. I finished the end return board, then realised some of it is wrong, so I disconnected the offending wires and reconnected them. I've just realised that they are still wrong! I've come in for a cuppa and a relax for a while before trying again. I know what needs to be done but it is very complicated because of all the switched isolated sections.  :(

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1626 on: March 26, 2018, 06:57:46 pm »
I do hope all goes well for you, Mike.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #1627 on: March 26, 2018, 08:52:05 pm »
Are you sure that all these problems are not associated with N gauge? :D
I'm sure it's the joy of seeing things come together. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1628 on: March 26, 2018, 10:34:44 pm »
Good luck Mike hope the test proved to be something positive ie they now know the reason for your problems. Hows the back to dc going, the books look good.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline David Asquith

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23346
    • Awards
« Reply #1629 on: March 27, 2018, 03:36:28 pm »
 I think you know how to make the next ten days go quickly Mike -  plenty of railway modelling.  I went to my railway room (shed) on Saturday night and forgot to put the clock there forward.  Gained an hour of modelling Yay!  My wife says I did it on purpose.  As if.  Best wishes.

Dave

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1630 on: March 27, 2018, 07:07:28 pm »
Hows the back to dc going.

Slowly Chris  :(
I'm having to take it very slowly, as it is so complicated. I'm beginning to regret my complex track plan, with so many points!
Every one of them has insulated rail joiners, so there have to be lots of track feeds. In truth, these are already in place, but the droppers previously all ran to one central power bus that ran the length of the layout, Now I have had to put a separate power bus in place for each DC-controlled circuit, most of the droppers are too short, so I am having to solder on new lengths of wire, and wrap the join in insulating tape to avoid accidental short circuits. The end return module previously only needed a simple two wire push connection with the next board, now I have virtually filled a 25 pin connector!

For DCC I had two lengths of ring main as a poswer bus, and cut into it to solder on feed droppers.
I realised that I need 6 power feeds (on EACH module board) just to power the two main lines and fiddle yard isolated switched passing loops.
Then others are needed for the through branch line and terminating branch line, plus the goods yard. Throw in various lighting circuits of different voltages, and clearly there wouldn't be enough space under the board.
My solution is to use much shorter lengths of ring main, bent into shape and then hot glued to the under surface of the board:

Each pair is labelled with the section of line that it serves, and wires are run to it from the droppers on the rails in the relevant areas.
Sectors on the same controller but different boards are connected via wire through 25 pin connectors.
Another wire will then be run to the correct controller from one central bus sector.

As you can see from this photo, there are still dozens of loose wires to tie in:

The hardest part is identifying each wire - my ballasting and rail weathering has heavily disguised where the power feeds are soldered onto the rails.
With the board stood on end, I have to keep walking round to examine the top, and then come back round to identify the wire, then I have to work out which power bus it has to go to! But I DO know what I am doing  :D
Slowly, slowly catchee monkey is my new watchword.
Angina from standing too long doesn't help  :(

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1631 on: March 28, 2018, 12:12:04 am »
 :hellosign: Take it steady Mike, I do not envy the wiring puzzle, but i`m sure your patience will sort it.
     regards Derek.

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1632 on: March 28, 2018, 07:42:44 pm »
RL intruded on operations today, too many errands and jobs to do, but I did manage to sneak into the railway room for an hour this evening while the wife was at zumba.
I managed to get quite a bit done, with four wires attached at the return end module, brought across through the 25 pin connectors, attached to the appropriate bus on the scenic module, and then brought through to the controller area.
It begins to feel like I am getting somewhere with wires to the controller, but in fact there's still some way to go.

I'm not bothering to wire the goods yard just yet as I need another controller for that area. I could probably make one of the quad controller dials switchable, but I really don't want to confuse things any further! It's more important to get the four main lines and fiddle yard up and running at this stage.....

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1633 on: March 30, 2018, 07:33:49 pm »
Well after two solid days of slog, the end is finally in sight - I can see a tiny glimmer at the end of the tunnel!  :D

All the power wires for the four main tracks are in place and ready to connect to the quad controller. The two mainlines and fiddle yard passing loops should work now. I didn't want to risk trying them out at the end of today in case there is a problem that causes me a sleepless night!

Most of the wiring for the branch lines is in place, I just have to fit switches for the isolated sidings in the fiddle yard. I might chop these sidings in half and isolate the parts, as the sidings are waaaaaaaay too long for branch line trains. Obviously, with DCC I parked several short trains in each lane. I also have to switch the passing loop and sidings in the station area. After what I've achieved so far they should be child's play  :smiley-laughing:

Now then.....do I test the parts that should be working as a first job tomorrow, and risk playing for the rest of the day  :telloff: or should I finish the wiring first?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1634 on: March 30, 2018, 09:22:18 pm »

Now then.....do I test the parts that should be working as a first job tomorrow, and risk playing for the rest of the day  :telloff: or should I finish the wiring first?

Sounds like you've really achieved something so, as the saying goes, "Every Good Boy Deserves Favour".
I suggest you check what you've done so far and then treat yourself to a play.
The rest of the wiring will still be there the next day.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
October Donations

Advertise Here