!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wookery  (Read 208217 times)

Offline wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
Re: Wookery
« Reply #1590 on: March 18, 2018, 11:13:47 am »
http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.html

Thanks Dave

Well, in amongst the Swahili I think I got enough from one of the drawings to work out what I need to do.  :D

I've got terrible angina this morning from worrying about this all night - model railways were supposed to be my stress relief!

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1591 on: March 18, 2018, 07:31:21 pm »
Well, i've been working on the wiring all day, pushed myself because I desperately wanted to know if I have it cracked. I got no sleep last night, turning it all over in my mind. I'm not going to be able to do much on it this week because of hospital visits and other commitments.

The good news is that yes, I've solved the problem. The first section of fiddle yard is now split into four switchable isolated sections, and I now know clearly in my mind how I will sort out the rest of the layout, including the tricky station area.  :D

Technically, I will now be able to run EIGHT 4'6" long trains on the two main lines, it remains to be seen how much hard work that will entail! I'm more likely to keep it to six I think, which would be quite easy.

Now I need to sleep......

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1592 on: March 18, 2018, 08:07:39 pm »
The good news is that yes, I've solved the problem. The first section of fiddle yard is now split into four switchable isolated sections, and I now know clearly in my mind how I will sort out the rest of the layout, including the tricky station area.  :D
That's why I opted for DCC.  I don't need any isolation sections, the whole track is connected to the DCC bus.  But, each to his own, of course.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1593 on: March 18, 2018, 08:13:11 pm »
Yes I know, but I persevered for over three years, with three different controllers, and had to give up to keep my sanity!

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1594 on: March 19, 2018, 06:44:22 am »
Yes I know, but I persevered for over three years, with three different controllers, and had to give up to keep my sanity!
Yes, my Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance is far from satisfactory.  The rotary throttle control is unreliable and often, if there is a short, it switches to a new loco that's not even in the stack and you find yourself running the wrong train.  I bought it because I thought it would be simple to operate (and it is if it all works properly) but I think I will eventually have to buy something else.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #1595 on: March 19, 2018, 07:01:05 am »
All this commentator can add from Australia is that it's looking great, and there's nothing like a concentrated blitz to,

A) Get things done,

and

B) Keep the enthusiasm going.

:thumbsup: :beers:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:02:11 am by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1596 on: March 19, 2018, 07:58:17 am »
Yes, my Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance is far from satisfactory.  The rotary throttle control is unreliable and often, if there is a short, it switches to a new loco that's not even in the stack and you find yourself running the wrong train.  I bought it because I thought it would be simple to operate (and it is if it all works properly) but I think I will eventually have to buy something else.

That's a shame, Laurence.  I have always found that Gaugemaster DC controllers are excellent and their lifetime guarantee is a bonus.

I know very little of DCC, but I have an inkling that the 'Prodigy Advance' isn't Gaugemaster's design, but is a re-badged Model Rectifier Corporation product.  I wonder if that's total nonsense.

I'm glad that the conversion is going well, Mike, and I hope your new control arrangements give you every satisfaction.  I give little thought to my Gaugemaster controllers and DC system as it keeps on working and gives no trouble.

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1597 on: March 19, 2018, 09:08:43 am »
A friend with detailed knowledge of all DCC controllers on the market told me that the best controller is a Lenz, but not the cheap entry level models. I couldn't afford one, or even justify the cost in any way on my small income.
It was my wife who made the decision - "For God's sake change to DC!" - as she was worried about my stress levels.
As it is, I have to sell one of my locos and some spare bits and pieces to fund the Gaugemaster.....but having at last solved the wiring issues my blood pressure has finally gone down.  :D

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1598 on: March 19, 2018, 09:19:45 am »
If you can afford them, Lenz Silver Mini's are the best DCC controller chips, I believe.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1599 on: March 19, 2018, 10:14:37 pm »
I think the Zimo's are better than the Lenz chips and there are some re badged ones going cheap too. From what I have read there are better controllers than the Lenz system too but expensive. I am using the NCE powercab system which I have upgraded, which I am happy with. When I first decided to go dcc my local shops tried to sell me a Hornby or Bachmann system, but I read up on them, my local shop now sells the NCE Powercab.

Anyway Wookery if you are more happy with dc, its your railway and your choice good luck.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1600 on: March 20, 2018, 07:57:16 am »
I also have a NCE PowerCab. I have to admit that the manual is NOT easy to understand. I have no experience of Zimo chips.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1601 on: March 20, 2018, 04:02:08 pm »
 :hellosign: Glad the DC conversion is going well Mike
        regards Derek.

Offline wookie

• Awards
« Reply #1602 on: March 20, 2018, 07:12:24 pm »
Thanks Derek, yes I am very pleased so far. The fiddle yard is actually much easier to use than with DCC. A couple of guys from my club called round to take a look yesterday, and they were most impressed.

Just to cap it all, I have a chest infection now on top of all my other ailments!
I have felt really rough today, so all I did was a little ballasting on the embankment. This is a job best done in small sections anyway.

My DCC controller was actually an NCE powercab, and I had nowt but trouble from day one. Anyway, I think we should draw a veil over the DCC/DC debate now.

Three hour scan to look forward to tomorrow, oh joy  :confused1:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #1603 on: March 20, 2018, 07:59:00 pm »
 :hellosign: Just a little at a time adds up to lots so take it steady Mike & hope all goes well tomorrow
      regards Derek.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1604 on: March 21, 2018, 07:35:52 am »
Small and steady is the way Mike. How do you eat an elephant? - One bite at a time!

Hope all goes well with the scan.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here