!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: To weather or not to weather - that is the question  (Read 739 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
To weather or not to weather - that is the question
« on: September 09, 2011, 09:20:59 pm »
I've put this in World N gauge 'cos my question applies to whatever we model.
Unless I have bought some bargain (or in a certain case of Lima coaches) no bargain stuff, I keep everything in original boxes in as near mint condition as I can just in case summat needs to be sold/exchanged. However, hardly anything prototypically ran in pristine condition so there is a case for weathering locos/rolling stock/buildings etc. Now if that's the case, surely there is an argument that all manufacturers should consider selling more weathered versions than pristine.
Yes - I know some people are great at weathering but for those like me who have no skill/equipment and who don't want to spend 15 or more per item on getting someone to do it for us, I welcome any weathered version of what I'm after with open arms/pocket.
At least if I then part with said weathered item, it is still 'as purchased' and not my cack-handed screw up of what was a perfectly good model. So, instead of trying to pass wish lists to manufacturers, maybe a plea for more 'realistic' looking models should be the way forward.
Open for discussion ???

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: To weather or not to weather - that is the question
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 10:50:17 pm »
I've been really impressed with some of the Peco weathered wagons of late. They've done a nice job and they are still cheap.

Granted they are older moulds and not the finest chassis but they are a handy way to make up trains at a sane price
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
Re: To weather or not to weather - that is the question
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 02:25:59 am »
The trouble with weathering is that it's so variable.  It's already necessary to produce different running numbers, but where to stop with weathering?  Do they do mint, slightly weathered, heavily weathered, and absolutely filthy?  It might be a real seller.  There is no doubt Dapol would do a nice job given how good the rusty weathered bullets are.

I think I would be tempted to buy some ready-weathered locos if it was an option.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here