!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Rare Earth Magnets for Dapol Couplings  (Read 9006 times)

Offline Busybee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21769D
    • Awards
Re: Rare Earth Magnets for Dapol Couplings
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 12:59:22 pm »
I used First4magnets 20x6x1.5 thick N42 Neodymium magnet, from that well known shop Amazon, free postage. These were laid at the outside edge of the rails.

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2015, 01:02:12 pm »
However, if the magnets are very strong, (and rare earth magnets often are), then lightweight stock can certainly be dragged sideways off the track as you suspect.

Something I'm finding with my very light Dapol milk tanks - not so much dragged sideways off the track but coupling pin dragged down to the magnet leaving the wagon with two axles in the air!  :worried:

Paul

Offline JeffPreston

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2015, 01:21:14 pm »
Hi Sprintex:

Sadly I've had that happen too - only with one wagon, and it has to be as exactly the right spot, but it can happen.  :(

I regret to confess that the only solution I could find was to add a significant lead weight to the wagon (which was happily a coal wagon with a removable load).  ::)

To be honest, I am sliding in favour of using the Dapol magnets in the end. I've managed to save a little by snapping them pretty neatly in half, which gives more magnets per railway pound, and also has the pleasant bonus of making a rather smaller, erm, MAGNET between the rails to catch the eye.  :uneasy:

The neodymium magnets are great, but I find that positioning stock over a pair of them has to be very, very precise to uncouple whereas a target of half a Dapol magnet, which is around 3 to 4 'sleeper positions' long, is pretty easy to hit even when on the other side of the layout.

I also found that the neodymium magnets were forcing me into a habit of the somewhat commonly known shuffle where the loco stops, backs up, and then continues forward in order to make uncoupling happen, whereas with the Dapol magnets, every time I can simply stop over the magnet and then continue forward uncoupled.

There is of course no wrong way or right way - but for what it's worth - these are my experiences.

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 06:12:26 pm »
If you happen to have any old computer hard drives, there are neodymium magnets in them - they are used to control the positioning of the read-write heads. They are fairly easy to extract.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2015, 06:54:20 pm »

To be honest, I am sliding in favour of using the Dapol magnets in the end. I've managed to save a little by snapping them pretty neatly in half, which gives more magnets per railway pound, and also has the pleasant bonus of making a rather smaller, erm, MAGNET between the rails to catch the eye.  :uneasy:

The neodymium magnets are great, but I find that positioning stock over a pair of them has to be very, very precise to uncouple whereas a target of half a Dapol magnet, which is around 3 to 4 'sleeper positions' long, is pretty easy to hit even when on the other side of the layout

Like you Jeff, I've returned to the Dapol magnets (plus a few halves of Microtrains one) as I found them to work, even with the Neodymium magnets, delayed uncoupling was still hit and miss so there was no benefit in using them, plus the Dapol ones are a doddle to install. 

As I've mentioned before, gluing microstrip on top of the magnet and painting it sleeper colour helps disguise them, also experimenting with photographing my ballasted track and using the result to print out on paper and stick onto the magnets, getting the colour match is the hardest part but looks promising.

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2015, 12:27:18 pm »
I regret to confess that the only solution I could find was to add a significant lead weight to the wagon (which was happily a coal wagon with a removable load).  ::)

Well after a bit of experimentation (and butchery!) I've managed to add a fair bit of weight to some milk tanks, so much so that I had to recheck that my poor little 04 could still pull a pair without slipping! :worried: That and one foam axle-brake on each pair are just about the limit for the little shunter, but the uncoupling is now spot-on 8)

Paul

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2015, 07:00:49 pm »
That's why I went back to the original Dapol/Microtrains magnets as it meant I could no longer pull as many wagons as I wanted, overcoming the extra pull of the strong magnets was self defeating.   ;)

Offline SheldonC

• N Gauge Society Number: 24370
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2018, 04:30:11 pm »
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find specifics now. I've found mention of using 3mm magnets and how to place them for use with the Dapol couplings, but not an exact link to the right ones, which I'm sure I have seen somewhere before.

I've found these on ebay, can anyone please confirm if they would be suitable or if they might be too strong?

I'm going to replace all the plastic wheelsets with metal ones, but I don't want them to be strong enough to grab the wagons.

Here's the link (although I'm not sure I'd need 100 of them...) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100Pcs-3mm-x-1mm-Disc-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-Super-Strong-Magnets-N35-Craft-Models-/400663817932?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item5d496caecc

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

NB:- THIS LINK IS INAPPROPRIATE, AS SELLER HAS CLOSED THE ITEM ON EBAY BECAUSE IT CONTAINED AN ERROR.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything