!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The angry thread  (Read 266655 times)

Offline Herzel

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The angry thread
« Reply #5085 on: February 16, 2017, 06:35:04 pm »
More profit - they won't have to send meter-readers around, not to forget the firms that are making these meters and developing, maintaining the software (you'll soon be paying for them if you aren't already).

The old rotor meters with dials lasted FAR more than 5 years and I don't believe the current digital ones are built with a nominal life of 5 years! Someone's on the make. It's arbitrary change to serve business owners not users.

Except most of that just isn't correct.  The electricity suppliers lobbied hard against smart meters - why would they have done that if they were going to make a profit out of it? I happen to know because I did some of the work when they were first being discussed with Govt.

The concession was that they were allowed to charge a small amount of the costs of smart meter provision and installation to the user, but that was far less than the cost to them.

If you are a smart provider then OK you get a one off benefit but that isn't the electricity companies. The reality is that if you are going to make the change to smart meters then it is easier to arrange to do it over a relatively short time period than to let it happen organically over the lifespan of dial meters (which I agre with you is far more than 5 years but that isn't particularly relevant).

More to the point the idea (as I've already said) was about educating people and helping them reduce energy usage -> which means less money for electricity suppliers (not more).

So it was far from an arbitrary change, nor does it really serve the main business owner (electricity companies) at all well.
Ok, as you wish. However, I won't be alone (if people here are honest) that electricity prices have been hiked significantly on the basis of providing smart meters and the government's green commitments. Presumably that money is going somewhere not just disappearing.

A smart meter will change my electricity usage by not so much as a jot. I know exactly the watt/hr usage on standby gadgets etc is.

Online austinbob

• N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #5086 on: February 16, 2017, 06:48:55 pm »
Yawn....
I think this little topic has run its course. I'm off to pastures new (and better).
 :sleep: :thumbsdown:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Gary Burcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 26212
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5087 on: February 16, 2017, 08:25:55 pm »
I listen to Martin Lewis, Money saving expert an awful lot.  In his opinion they are not "smart" enough to save the consumer money.  And a fact is that the government didn't legislate the meters and they are not compatable between the energy suppliers, thus, although you are free to switch, they might get awkward about the meters.

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #5088 on: February 16, 2017, 08:49:32 pm »
Have to agree with a few of the earlier posts. I've had a smart meter for over a year now. The engineer turned up on time at my convenience, took about 20 minutes to fit it and I've never had a problem. The indoor monitor didn't last long though as if I need to use electricity I will despite what the monitor says I've used. I just unplugged it.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #5089 on: February 16, 2017, 09:52:30 pm »
I listen to Martin Lewis, Money saving expert an awful lot.

Living in Ireland, I do not get to hear him, but I get his regular emails. There is usually not a lot of use to me directly, but plenty of good advice. I will post a link if anyone wants it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:53:31 pm by dannyboy »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Online acko22

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #5090 on: February 16, 2017, 11:02:23 pm »
Well finally home just wow is the only word I can use on here.

Got the train from barracks the usual route through London and paid the normal price £73 so nothing new there leaving at 2pm.
Well got into London and crossed over to Euston for the 4pm train, then bang Virgin trains won't let me on!!!!
If you get a virgin train from London East or west coast they have made anything from 3pm to 7pm a peak service and won't accept railcards even HM Forces ones so all of a sudden that £73 now becomes £284!!!!!!!!! Now as you can imagine I was less than happy and refused to pay that at that price I can fly from Southampton to Manchester and back saving £100.

Now here is the the best bit, if I was travelling the opposite way back to work into London it's off peak so I am been penalised for setting off on my outbound journey at an off peak time and making my connection at a Virginstow made up peak times.

And they wonder why people drive when rail companies are ripping people off so brazenly and when I  complained virgin said blame south west trains and I came sure you can guess what south west say.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • NGS Product Development Officer
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #5091 on: February 17, 2017, 12:02:42 am »
Should have come and met Ben and I for a pint on your way through London! We were just at Kings X.

Cheers, M

Online acko22

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #5092 on: February 17, 2017, 12:10:00 am »
Should have come and met Ben and I for a pint on your way through London! We were just at Kings X.

Cheers, M

:censored:

If I knew that it could have been a repeat of last time, although tilting train when tipsy never a good combo!

Online Ian Bowden

• N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
« Reply #5093 on: February 17, 2017, 12:28:48 am »
I listen to Martin Lewis, Money saving expert an awful lot.  In his opinion they are not "smart" enough to save the consumer money.  And a fact is that the government didn't legislate the meters and they are not compatable between the energy suppliers, thus, although you are free to switch, they might get awkward about the meters.
the latest meters have to be compatible. True early meters differed from supplier to supplier, now they must all be compatible.

Offline Steamie+

• N Gauge Society Number: 26963
  • N Gauge is part of my life. :)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5094 on: February 17, 2017, 07:01:33 am »
Maybe I'm missing something here. I've had a smart meter for several years and the installation was free and painless with the engineer arriving exactly as promised.
I haven't had my computer hacked, personal details stolen, bank accounts raided or little gnomes and fairies creeping through my letter box to poisen my cornflakes.
The information it provides, whilst not mind blowingly wonderful or essential, has proved useful in locating when and what is consuming power and when the grand children have left things switched on unecessarily.
Just my 2 pennies worth. Oh and switch those lights off...
 :) :beers:

Arenít these smart meters supposed to switch off things for you, or do you still have to get up off you favourite chair and do it yourself.     :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:toot: :A1Tornado: :Carriage: :Carriage:

Online Jimbo

• N Gauge Society Number: 26734
  • 2mm Association Number: 5172
    • Awards
« Reply #5095 on: February 17, 2017, 07:07:50 am »
Well finally home just wow is the only word I can use on here.

Got the train from barracks the usual route through London and paid the normal price £73 so nothing new there leaving at 2pm.
Well got into London and crossed over to Euston for the 4pm train, then bang Virgin trains won't let me on!!!!
If you get a virgin train from London East or west coast they have made anything from 3pm to 7pm a peak service and won't accept railcards even HM Forces ones so all of a sudden that £73 now becomes £284!!!!!!!!! Now as you can imagine I was less than happy and refused to pay that at that price I can fly from Southampton to Manchester and back saving £100.

Now here is the the best bit, if I was travelling the opposite way back to work into London it's off peak so I am been penalised for setting off on my outbound journey at an off peak time and making my connection at a Virginstow made up peak times.

And they wonder why people drive when rail companies are ripping people off so brazenly and when I  complained virgin said blame south west trains and I came sure you can guess what south west say.

That is disgusting!  :veryangry: That's a fine way to thank you for your service! HM forces personnel should be treated with more respect than that....sorry to hear that! 😩
'Keep it country!'

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5096 on: February 17, 2017, 10:12:21 am »
To my mind services personnel should get concessionary fares anyway.
Hope Beardyman is happy :veryangry:

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £35.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £46.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
131% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything