!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Thomas tomix not working  (Read 203 times)

Offline tonytrains

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Thomas tomix not working
« on: July 02, 2018, 05:33:14 pm »
Have a Thomas that was working ok then got a bit jittery then stopped.
Not sure how to open it to have a look inside to see what`s not working.
Any advise would be appreciated
Thanks in advance . Tony

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Thomas tomix not working
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 06:53:30 pm »
There are at least two different designs of mechanism under Thomas.  I have one of the older ones which has two screws underneath. Only the front screw need be removed (the other retains the motor), then there are a couple of clips at the front and rear of the bodyshell

If yours is the newer mechanism then I can't advise, but I think I've seen photos of the mechanism on the net.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 07:55:46 pm »
Global Moderator Comment I've removed the duplicated post in the welcome/intro section

Offline tonytrains

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 09:08:41 pm »
thank you for that.
My model has three screws underneath.

Offline Shiney Sheff

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23792
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 09:25:43 pm »
I have Thomas that I run for my grandson, I to had the same symptoms so promptly reached for the oil as I had never lubricated from new, BIG mistake, it was even worse, I later found out that the electrical pickups are like the new Farish/Bachmann, power is collected through the bearings and I had oiled them, it doesn't use the older method of wipers for collecting current, So after a good clean with IPA everything went back to total smooth running.

Offline tonytrains

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 09:50:25 pm »
thank you. how did you open it to clean it ? I did exactly the same as you and oiled it.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 10:49:42 pm »
thank you for that.
My model has three screws underneath.

Yours is probably the chassis design shown on this other forum

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=26670.0

My guess would be the bodyshell is probably still fixed to the chassis by clips fore and aft the same as my old design model, in which case it's probably easiest to gently squeeze in the rear of the bunker first, and see if that then releases the rear of the body?

If the problem is indeed down to you having applied oil then you'll need to have that bottom plate off to clean things out. It would be desirable to drop the axles from the chassis to fully de-oil everything, but without having seen this chassis I don't know whether all axles are gear driven? If this is the case then you'll need to be extremely careful to replace everything so that the wheel quartering is maintained. If just one axle is out of phase by one gear tooth that will ruin the running, possibly wear out the gearing and/or cause the mechanism to lock up.

General advice for the future: over-oiling is often worse for the model than under-oiling, and many modern mechanisms use self-lubricating gearing and bearings which may not need any further treatment.  For split chassis designs where the power is picked up through the axles (not via wiper pickups), a teeny-tiny amount on the tip of a pin of something like Peco's Power-Lube may be beneficial but only when the bearings are bone dry.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:52:13 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline tonytrains

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 04:20:35 pm »
thank you all for replying. have now de-oiled it and it works. Not sure why it juddered in the beginning but all`s well except managed to loose the two springs for the couplers even though tried hard to be careful.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here