!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 420226 times)

Mito, Chris in Prague and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #5310 on: October 10, 2018, 05:08:49 pm »
I was very surprised, too, Martin. The beer was bought from Tesco (via their Home Delivery). The beer is brewed by an independent brewery in Zatec (Saaz) in the centre of the Bohemian hop growing region. Needless to say, its beers are excellent, as is this Cornish lager. It's very appropriate for someone modelling Cornwall in Bohemia! 8-) I shall order more.

Buying a 38xx 2-8-0 has been postponed as something else on my 'to buy list' came up, this month, which will be more suitable for regular use. I hope they will be here next month. I hope the 38xx 2-8-0 will still be available, next month.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5311 on: October 10, 2018, 07:42:09 pm »
Two photos. of my four Maroon Hawskworth coaches (in the same formation as Alex's) passing through Cant Cove on a return special working to Trewoon Junction and Pentewan (for Mevagissey) but behind one of my NB Type 2's, D6319.

And close-ups of each one:

And of D6319:

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:01:38 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online wookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #5312 on: October 10, 2018, 08:31:27 pm »
very nice coaches Chris, very distinctive  :thumbsup:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5313 on: October 10, 2018, 09:03:56 pm »
very nice coaches Chris, very distinctive  :thumbsup:

Thanks, Mike. I agree. They were well worth the long wait and the high price, I think. I have the same rake in BR Crimson & Cream livery and will photograph that, too, I hope, tomorrow, behind a BR Early Crest steam loco.

I'm also planning to model the unique BR SR Southwestern Division (SWD) BR Standard (MkI) SWD 3-set 567 (pictured still in BR Crimson & Cream in 1963; the two BSKs arrived on BR SR, February 1957; the CK July 1956). I  have ordered the latest model BSK-CK-BSK required; however, they will need to have the running numbers added (S34982-S15895-S34983) plus the Set No. on the outer ends of the BSKs.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:46:01 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #5314 on: October 10, 2018, 09:16:50 pm »
Thank you, John. I've grown to really like BR Crimson & Cream livery (before it faded badly, of course).

Many thanks, Chris.  I prefer railways before BR, but if it's BR, then the first half of the nineteen-fifties (say before the destructive 1955 strike) is probably my favourite time.  The country was recovering from the War, BR liveries had settled down and the line closures had not started in earnest (they were in progress, of course, but pruning twigs rather than branches, so to speak).

And crimson and cream is a really nice livery.  I remember being amazed when I saw my first Strathclyde PTE train in this livery.  Before then they were in a orange and matt black livery (sic).  Vile, absolutely vile!

I fully support Cant Cove moving back in time.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5315 on: October 11, 2018, 07:05:52 am »
Lord and Lady Trevelver and the Chelsea Girls have been invited to the grand opening of the Interrogative Seven Reataurant at Beresford Hall.  Baron Tiverton really does hope they will be able to make it.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Drakken

• Building Llanrumney TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #5316 on: October 11, 2018, 10:23:46 am »
Definitely worth the wait, Fantastic photo's. Always smile when I see an update from yourself on the thread :beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5317 on: October 11, 2018, 10:48:33 am »
Definitely worth the wait, Fantastic photo's. Always smile when I see an update from yourself on the thread :beers:
Thank you, Drakken. That's very kind of you. I always enjoy your posts, too. This time of year the sun is low so my trains tend to be sidelit which can look good. I am glad that I finished a scenic area where I can photograph the trains. I hope to have some new trains soon but, apart from finishing the story epilogue, I won't have time to write anything substantive until Christmas.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5318 on: October 11, 2018, 10:57:47 am »
Lord and Lady Trevelver and the Chelsea Girls have been invited to the grand opening of the Interrogative Seven Reataurant at Beresford Hall.  Baron Tiverton really does hope they will be able to make it.

Thank you, Laurence. They will all be delighted to attend and I can even mention it when I get time to complete the last part of the story epilogue. I think you have BR WR MkIs in BR Maroon, BR WR C&C so they will be travelling in a BR WR C&C BCK via Bodmin Road, Reading and Oxford where their coach will be detached twice before it is attached to a service to Morton Hinmarche (I hope I spelt it correct; I am on my mobile). I think it will be a November?

Offline Drakken

• Building Llanrumney TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #5319 on: October 11, 2018, 11:01:17 am »
Thank you, Drakken. That's very kind of you. I always enjoy your posts, too. This time of year the sun is low so my trains tend to be sidelit which can look good. I am glad that I finished a scenic area where I can photograph the trains. I hope to have some new trains soon but, apart from finishing the story epilogue, I won't have time to write anything substantive until Christmas.

Thank you for the kind words, I love a good story to go along with the layout & moving forward with newer additions (I blatantly stole your idea on that one & your on another level of sheer information included :beers: )

I guarantee it'll be well worth the wait & maybe a Christmas Eve update for us all ;)

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5320 on: October 11, 2018, 12:31:13 pm »
Many thanks, John. I agree with your thoughts. I blame Martin for pushing Cant Cove back to c.1956 to match his Cornish  layouts. 8-) I now have rakes of coaches in BR Crimson & Cream for every region except the ScR although the Gresleys and Staniers could commence their journeys there, of course. I am looking forward to the Thompson design coaches, next year, I hope. BR Lined  Maroon Thompsons appeared on cross country Summer Saturday holidaymakers trains on the S&D so I'm assuming that they would also on ER  services to our Alternative Cornwall too. At least one Thompson transferred to the BR WR appeared in North Cornwall at the end of steam.

When I have time I will photograph some of these rakes in service behind appropriate steam locos.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:33:42 pm by Chris in Prague »

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #5321 on: October 11, 2018, 04:23:04 pm »
 :hellosign:  :thankyousign:  :greatpicturessign: Many thanks Chris for all your very interesting information & the latest superb pictures
 :beers: cheers, iam a cider or whisky or wine etc drinker personally
     regards Derek.

Online Innovationgame

• N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #5322 on: October 11, 2018, 05:32:45 pm »

Thank you, Laurence. They will all be delighted to attend and I can even mention it when I get time to complete the last part of the story epilogue. I think you have BR WR MkIs in BR Maroon, BR WR C&C so they will be travelling in a BR WR C&C BCK via Bodmin Road, Reading and Oxford where their coach will be detached twice before it is attached to a service to Morton Hinmarche (I hope I spelt it correct; I am on my mobile). I think it will be a November?
There will be a bit of a time warp (but with seven time lords on hand that will be no problem).  They were due arrive in Marton Hinmarche on Saturday 28th September 1959, but the space-time cordinates may have been slightly miss-set so they could be late. They may stay a while, but they will be back through the time warp again before you can say Jack Robinson.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #5323 on: October 11, 2018, 06:59:30 pm »
Thanks, Laurence. The Chef's Contest took place at the same time as the Cuban Missile Crisis, late October 1962. Hence, my suggestion that the visit takes place in November 1962. 1962, however, saw the forced disbanding of the rakes of BR WR Chocolate & Cream livery coaches. However, several rakes survive in Cornwall, including specially painted RMBs. (In real life, there were definitely no BR Standard RMBs in WR Chocolate & Cream livery, only one BR Standard RF, one RSO, five RBs and 16 RUs. The other catering stock was specially painted ex-GWR.)

When the WR introduced Chocolate & Cream livery for named trains in 1956 there were hardly any BR Standard catering vehicles. Apart from the 1951 RF+RSO pairs, all on the WR, there were the 1951 triplets which had largely fallen from grace and the three prototypes - RB, RKB and RU. Quantity production of the RU began in 1957 and the WR received several in Chocolate & Cream livery. The first trains to receive them were the "Capitals United", "Torbay Express", "Cornishman" (I think there was a paired LMR rake in BR Lined Maron, of course) and "Royal Duchy". The "Cornish Riviera" soldiered on with GW catering cars until summer 1961 and the "Red Dragon" had to wait until January 1962 -- just three months before the decision was taken to abandon chocolate and cream!

Needless to say, the supersession of Chocolate & Cream livery was not immediate and mixed livery sets were a frequent occurrence for the next couple of years. In fact, quite a few pictures of rakes show a mix of all 3 (including BR Crimson & Cream) colour schemes present.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 08:08:44 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #5324 on: October 11, 2018, 07:12:34 pm »
Thanks, Laurence. The Chef's Contest took place at the same time as the Cuban Missile Crisis, late October 1962. Hence, my suggestion that the visit takes place in November 1962. 1962, however, saw the forced disbanding of the rakes of BR WR Chocolate & Cream livery.

That was Stanley Raymond for you!

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here