!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 418514 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #4905 on: July 21, 2018, 04:07:25 pm »
I did some painting with acrylic dark green paint, yesterday, of existing scenery I was not happy with, including the yellow Cornish gorse. Unfortunately, brushing removed some pieces of yellow, as you can see. I also think, in the second photo., I painted too much of the yellow dark green so will have to buy some acrylic bright yellow, next week, and go over the too large patches of dark green with yellow dots.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4906 on: July 21, 2018, 04:09:36 pm »
There were some rough hedges in the upper right-hand corner which I did not like the shade of green so I went over those with the dark green, too, and I think they look much better.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #4907 on: July 21, 2018, 04:25:02 pm »
I think the yellow gorse looks fine. You donít want to overdo it.
And the green in the top photo looks good too.
Have you thought about tiny dots of colour to represent flowers on the bush eg rhodedendron etc or even tinier dots to represent wild flowers and weeds?
How about a few saplings sticking out of the hedge? They are easy enough to make (remember the ďtrunksĒ will be thin) out of bent wire or even eg grape stalks.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #4908 on: July 21, 2018, 07:52:13 pm »
Living where I do, there is plenty of gorse about. It does look like your first picture, but only for a short period of time. Most of the time, it looks like it is in your second picture.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #4909 on: July 21, 2018, 09:36:08 pm »
I bought a box of cheap acrylics and with a very fine brush I dot the foliage with different colours. Another way is with pastel chalks, scraping a little on the foliage while the glue is wet or spraying with hair laquer when all is dry. Think about using water colours. If you don't like the colour it can be washed off and can be blended with other colours even when dry, unlike acrylics.
I think the gorse looks OK in the second photo. What other flowering bushes are there in Cornwall that flower around the same time?
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4910 on: July 21, 2018, 09:55:58 pm »
Thank you, all. It's supposed to be early summer at Cant Cove, really early July, so the flowering plants may be a little out of season. I really like the yellow gorse I've seen in photos. of Cornwall. There was a famous spread of pinky purple rhododendrons outside Bodmin General station (see photo. below, taken in June) and I want to have a rather smaller spread of them on the cutting side outside Cant Cove but I forgot to buy that colour. I suppose by mixing red and blue I could come up with a good match but I think I will also need some white to make it paler.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/theabbott/12567757435

I will be adding more flowers in due course. Wildflowers and weeds are an excellent idea as are a few saplings sticking out of the hedge. What colours should the wild flowers be?

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #4911 on: July 21, 2018, 10:00:00 pm »
Blues, reds and yellows seem to attract the bees, but not sure how you would model a few bees.  ;D
David.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4912 on: July 22, 2018, 08:26:35 am »
Early July provides plenty of wild flowers Chris.
The Cornish hedgerows, clifftops and meadows are a riot of colour. You are safe with pinks, yellows and whites with the occasional red.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4913 on: July 22, 2018, 01:05:37 pm »
Many thanks, David and Martin. Blues, pinks, yellows and whites with the occasional red, it will be then. The reds are poppies? I need to buy some acrylic blue, pink, yellow and white, then, next week.

I'm hoping that the scatter grass parcel will arrive this coming week.

This afternoon, I'm going to paint the background hedges dark green instead of the bright green colour they were, as bought.

[Seven, mainly small parcels were posted, this morning. Mainly for 'through' running, but including pannier No. 6713 on permanent transfer.]

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4914 on: July 22, 2018, 01:23:24 pm »
An update from Peedie Models:

The first water crane is now on the website and I have attached a photo of the trackside version with a fire devil.

www.peediemodels.com - www.funtodo.peediemodels.com
Tel: 01856 252510 - Mobile: 07807 172519

I'm now waiting for the platform-mounted one.

Paul has told me that he's working on SR concrete lamp posts, too!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 01:53:52 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4915 on: July 22, 2018, 01:32:45 pm »
Thanks for that.
Iíll wait until both versions are available before ordering I think.
My Layouts -

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4916 on: July 22, 2018, 02:10:14 pm »
Thanks for that.
Iíll wait until both versions are available before ordering I think.

Thanks. I'll do the same, Martin, as I need one of each. My excuse for having both types of water cranes at Cant Cove (when they were provided at Wadebridge and will be at Penmayne) is that it was the temporary terminus. Of course, there would need to be a ground mounted one at the small loco. shed, in any case. My water cranes will be in freshly repainted BR SR Green and Cream livery, although they could be in WR Chocolate & Cream as the Wadebridge ones were.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4917 on: July 22, 2018, 03:39:23 pm »
My new locomotive inspection kit (N GAUGE AUHAGEN 44645 ENGINE SHED INSPECTION PIT - DEPOT PIT etc., PACK OF 2) arrived and now I need to decide how to adapt it.

Here are some photos. of the two main parts laid in place:

As can be seen, together, the two pieces are too long (they are longer than the old two-part Peco locomotive inspection kit, laid on top of it).

I think it should end before the loco. hoist rails begin. (The hoist is in its final position but its base has, yet, to be 'packed' to the correct height.)

Now, some photos. not 'in situ'. First, showing the greater depth of the Auhagen pit parts compared with the Peco ones (which will be discarded).

A railwayman can be seen standing in the base of the Auhagen pit.

I'm wondering if this is deep enough?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 05:07:00 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline dannyboy

• Awards
« Reply #4918 on: July 22, 2018, 07:18:16 pm »

I'm wondering if this is deep enough?

If the bloke don't duck when a loco' comes in, there is going to be a nasty accident!  :o I have just about finished installing a home made inspection pit in my layout and have made it, roughly, a scale 6' deep. I have a little man stood in the bottom of the pit and his head comes up to rail height.
David.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #4919 on: July 22, 2018, 08:37:45 pm »
Not too deep for the inspection pit. The workmen need to be able to see underneath clearly without having to stand on steps or boxes.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here